A Night to Remember

Thursday night wasn’t it, though. The shelf above my bed was back to holding a large number of used tissues. Bless her heart, Cuz came and cleaned them off.

We had a good visit while she was here. She fetched me a cup of tea and I watched while she emptied the trash and generally picked up. She’d fed the Catz, too. The sad news was that the pharmacy didn’t have the 25′ cannula the website said it did. I found one online and ordered it. If it works well, I’ll get some more. I had it sent via first class mail which was free (my favorite price) and it will be here Monday. And, no, I didn’t order it from Amazon. I ordered it from CpapXchange.Com. They sell CPAP machines, BIPAP machines, large oxygen concentrators, etc., etc., plus supplies.

One thing she did bring me was actually two — two bean burritos. Just beans in tortillas. Oh, and she brought me some packets of hot sauce, too.

I’d promised to take a shower later after she left. Well, that was before the avalanche. I opened the freezer side of the fridge and STUFF threatened to come out and engulf me. I stopped it with my left hand and just stood there, not knowing what to do. I prayed the Lord would send an angel to hold the STUFF so it didn’t crash to the floor. My right arm refuses to work if I try to stretch it very far or very high. Finally, I managed some way to put some things on the top rack of the dishwasher (thank goodness it was open) and slid things back in so they were sort of stable. That’s when I hurriedly closed the door.

After I took the cough medicine last night, while sitting in Mother’s chair, I nodded off a little after 10 and didn’t wake until 12:39. I got up, readied myself for bed, crawled in and went back to sleep. I didn’t cough a whole lot and my total count of tissue when I woke late this morning was two. Big difference. I figured I’d slept, altogether, around 12 hours with only trips to the bathroom to interrupt.


I’ve felt better today. I haven’t dozed off once and I even did less08 and uploaded it. The tip off that it hadn’t been done was when I pulled it up to study for next week and no links to the texts were there.

This afternoon, I watched “The Story of Ruth” and “October Baby”. I had to pause the last one to go feed the Catz again. Black Tom didn’t show his face. One of the striped aunts kept following me up and down the railing to be petted so she got his share.

One of my friends sent me an informational-type email early this morning. It didn’t seem like something that needed to be answered right away so I went and found something to eat for breakfast. Since she hadn’t heard from me, she got concerned and contacted Cuz’ sister (also my cuz). I was getting texts from both of them. I assured them that all was as usual here. Eat, sleep and cough.

I’d filled the distiller earlier this evening and it had had time to heat up and start putting out water, a drip at a time. When I went to make my after meal cup o’ tea, I was troubled to see water was leaking all over the counter. Surely the container hadn’t sprung a leak! I unplugged the distiller and pulled the container away. That’s when the filter top tipped just enough for me to see inside. It had evidently come apart and the tiny inside “funnel” was upside down so the water had no place to go but out. Thankfully, I remembered I had a package of Trader Joe’s Super Amazing Reusable Kitchen Cloths I’d gotten on my last trip to New York City. I got them out and I’ve wrung them once and they’re still wicking up water. BTW, buying them in the store is a whole lot cheaper.

Well, THAT was pleasant. I just coughed and the contents of what came out went into my right pocket. I had to clean it out and it took several tissues. At least I didn’t do that after I went to bed.

I ate one of the burritos for supper. I added some of the December-type tomato, chopped, avocado and Tofutti “sour cream” (which doesn’t taste like sour cream). The last two onions in the pantry were were rotten but I’d salvaged some tops from one. I added a packet of hot sauce and it’s all repeating on me now. Oh, well. Live and learn.

It’s over an hour past the time I dozed off last night so I’m outta luck for a rerun. In the meantime, I think I’ll do a breathing treatment and see if I can get rid of what’s making me currently cough.

5 Responses to A Night to Remember

  1. Merry August 14, 2016 at 8:07 am #

    Good morning, Tommie.
    Hope you had a restful night.
    Most people don’t think of Oklahoma having mountains but in SE Oklahoma we have the Kiamichi Mountains, part of the Ouachita Mountain range.
    This area is known as “Kiamichi Country”.
    Time for breakfast, then morning worship services.

    • Tommie August 14, 2016 at 10:55 am #

      I noticed the Ouachita range is in Arkansas, too. Enjoy the services! They had to do without me yesterday.

      • Merry August 14, 2016 at 4:13 pm #

        Cherie (UR Family) childhood home is Mena Arkansas. About hour drive from Poteau…In the Ouachita Mountains.
        Morning Services were good.
        Praying your enjoying a peaceful day.

  2. Alice Fontana August 14, 2016 at 10:35 am #

    You continue to be in my prayers Tommie. I’m asking for more nights like Friday and less like Thursday…..
    Your daughter will be arriving soon, right? It will be so comforting to have her there for a visit. Bless you, my friend.
    P.S. Have you reopened the freezer yet? 🙂

    • Tommie August 14, 2016 at 10:56 am #

      Thank you for the prayers, Alice. Yes! My daughter will be here in less than two weeks. And I tried opening the freezer again and thought better of it when I could see things tipping toward me. 😕 The sad thing is, there are things in there I’d like to eat. 🙁

Leave a Reply to Tommie Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.