Rehab Session #3 and the Rest Day

I came THAT close to canceling my session yesterday. I was already beyond tired. There was no way I could take a shower so I stayed stinky. I did mop at the most offending areas of my body but that was that.

Struggling into my clothes, I looked at the clock. I’d told Cuz’ sister (also my cuz) we wouldn’t need to leave until noon Central. I figured she be here any time since it was noon. The minutes kept ticking by and I finally called the therapist and left voice mail that, unless she got here in the next minute or two, I wouldn’t be coming in. About that time, the door opened and there she was. I switched over to the Inogen and we were off.

Her young grandson was back in the back and he asked if I were okay when I coughed. I assured him that was normal for me. He started singing and it reminded me of when DD was little. She’d sit on the bottom of the shopping cart in the supermarket and sing to the top of her lungs. Her brothers were at the “cool” age and were embarrassed. They said, “Mom, make her stop!” I told them that was a happy heart and I wasn’t going to stifle it. Later, he stopped singing and chided the driver for going too fast.

We got to the hospital at exactly 12:30 and I was taken back not long after. Come to find out, the voice mail was so broken up, the therapist only understood my name and the last part of the phone number.

A man was doing the session with me. He is a cardiac patient but is doing pulmonary rehab because all of his cardiac sessions are gone. He was quite a talker. I couldn’t understand a lot of it but it was nice to have someone to share the therapist with. I did the usual arm and arm & leg exercises and was monitored through the whole thing.

Cuz came to pick me up and was very glad to see I was using the concentrator. I was wheeled out to the van and we came home.

She had peaches for me plus a little container of peach cobbler she’d made. She said it was the third try to get some to me. Someone had eaten the contents of the first two containers so she’d hidden this one.

When we got to the house, she emptied the trash and compost while I collapsed. Then she got the leftovers out of the fridge and started them heating before she left.

Batman for PresidentI’d texted DS1 and asked him to come on that afternoon if they still could. He said he thought my DIL and granddaughter had plans but they’d see what they could do. I requested two bean burritos from Taco Bell. Just beans. Nothing else.

Several hours later, they showed up. It was not only DS1 and my DIL but my granddaughter, as well! Talk about being blessed! Handing me the burritos, I directed him to put them on the table in the kitchen. They were still warm but I’d already eaten all I could hold.

It was quite a process to get the phone set up and he eventually found out that my sim card won’t work with that phone. That didn’t preclude it working with the purifier, though. It took him doing the setup and my granddaughter reading the codes off to get it done but they did, eventually. At one point, he had to get down on the floor. If I did that, I’d have to give up and stay there.

When they got through, they settled in for a conversation. We had a good talk before they decided they’d better get going. By that time, it was getting to be late afternoon. I asked them to feed the Catz on their way out and they agreed, then went out and closed the door. I went over and opened it to find them looking puzzled. I’d told them the food was by the front door and they thought I mean outside. DS1 partially filled the container and put a tiny bit in each bowl. Then they were on their way. BTW, the picture is one he sent me today. My DIL got him the shirt. Might be a good idea!

I didn’t sleep wonderfully well last night. I kept trying to take more normal breaths and it was keeping me awake. As soon as I’d stop, my breathing would get faster and shallower. I heard the clock strike several different hours.

When I did my body test, I’d lost another half a kilo. It keeps wanting me to do the single leg test and I have to move a heavy chair to do it so I didn’t. I just reset it and did the quick test.

For church, I decided to watch today’s video at my sister’s academy church website. It included all the preliminaries so I got to hear hymn 299 to the tune of “Amazing Grace”, the fancy arrangement of an old hymn for the offertory, the children’s story and the special music. After a brief talk by the pastor, a man shared his experience (I guess). He spoke Spanish and the woman who was translating had somewhat of an accent, too. I nodded off to sleep since I couldn’t understand a lot of it and was lost when I woke up. I switched from there and went to Netflix where I looked up the sub-genre having to do with faith. I elected to watch “Little Boy” and it was very good. It’s a tissue kind of movie.

Breakfast had been two peaches (YUUUUUUUge ones), blueberries and half a burrito. Supper was the rest of the burrito and the rest of the green beans, mashed potatoes and the two remaining meatballs. I ate half the cobbler but had to have a small ice cream cone to calm my stomach from the spices. If I had the energy, I’d make a cobbler like Mother used to. She’d put a layer of pie dough on the bottom of a round casserole dish, peaches on top of that, pie dough in the middle and peaches on top of THAT. Then she top it with pie dough and bake it. No spices, just peaches and a little sugar if they weren’t sweet enough. The dough in the middle would be a bit soggy but it was my favorite part. Tomorrow, I’ll add another peach to the remaining cobbler and see what that does.

I’ve felt a little better today. I haven’t felt as daunted when it would come to walking across the room. I managed to feed the Catz twice today. Being fed once, they’ve been like me — losing weight. Black Tom showed up for the first feeding but not for the second. He was probably holed up somewhere where it was cool. Rain was in the forecast but I don’t think it ever materialized. It sure did pour while the family was here yesterday, though.

My sister emailed that she’d prayed I wouldn’t cough but God didn’t grant her request. I’ve been a little wheezy so maybe the coughing will bring something up. We can hope.

6 Responses to Rehab Session #3 and the Rest Day

  1. Alice Fontana July 31, 2016 at 12:58 am #

    What a good I looking son! It was great that he was able to sync the phone with your unit. And I DO like his shirt!! I remember when they used to say Snoopy for President …. do you?

    I’m glad you were able to get to your rehab session … Sounds like you’re making a little progress. I’ll continue lifting you up in prayer
    …enjoy the little things, they’re important….❤

    • Tommie July 31, 2016 at 11:43 am #

      Yes, I remember Snoopy! He’d be a dancing president, for sure.

      Keep praying!

  2. Mary Jane Graves July 31, 2016 at 6:55 am #

    I’m glad the family got there and spent some time! DS1 looks like he has lost weight

    I had the same problem with the church service, but after that part the pastor had a good sermon.

    • Tommie July 31, 2016 at 11:42 am #

      Yes, he HAS lost weight. Wish I’d found some of it.

      I looked for you when the camera would be on the congregation but didn’t find you. 🙁

  3. Gail July 31, 2016 at 7:28 am #

    Whew…Your adventures wore me out. 🙂 Thankful that you were able to write about them.

Leave a Reply to Tommie Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.