Refreshing My Memory

Not wanting to repeat myself, I had to look back at Thursday’s post. Yep. I’d said that and that and that so I won’t say any of it again.

Yesterday was Friday with Friday chores. I got them done and thought I would work on getting the links into Lesson 6 but I didn’t. It’s very tedious and I didn’t feel up to tedious.

A financial counselor called from the hospital and told me my co-pay for the endoscopy would be $95. I told her I’d pay it when I’m billed. She thanked me and hung up. If I paid up front, I doubt I’d get a discount. If I pay within 30 days of being billed, I get 10% off for prompt payment. Every little bit helps. It goes from $95 to $85.50.

Cuz came over for a short visit. She was making headway on getting the house painted and it’s looking good. She wanted to get as much done as she could since wet weather was supposed to move in. She took her leave and I got back to what I was doing which was getting food ready for the fellowship meal today.

My contributions were Elianni Veggie Cutlets mixed with sauteed onion and organic cashew gravy over organic brown jasmine rice, guacamole and organic blue corn chips. Cuz was glad to see I was planning to participate in a meal.

Sleep was none too good last night. I don’t know if I was too wound up to sleep or if it was too warm in here. Whatever it was, I finally dozed off and got a few hours here and there.

The timer woke me at 6 and I made myself get up. I would’ve loved to snuggle down and go back to sleep and catch up on what I’d missed.

I finished assembling the casserole and it looked so pretty. I licked the spatula and the gravy was SO GOOD!! It took some time to mash up the avocados for the guac but I got ‘er done and mixed them with lime juice and garlic salt. I prayed it wouldn’t turn brown and put a pit in the middle of it for good measure.

Loading everything into the car, I was dressed and off by a little after 8:40. I figured that would give me time to take things into the fellowship hall before I went to the church.

Said hall was locked. I went on to the church and started playing. Today was Communion so it would be an extra long time for me at the organ.

My road-trip friends were there. The male of the couple is a “retired” minister (who preaches just about every week) and his wife. This picture is of them and my friend who has since lost a lot of weight.

My friend, the pastor & his wife

When the lesson study started, I nipped over to the fellowship hall and put my casserole in the oven. I set it for 200 degrees and went back to the church.

Then it was back to the organ to start the meditation music, then song service followed by the song following the announcements followed by the prelude which preceded the introit and then the opening song after the opening prayer which was before the prayer song and then came the response after the prayer before the offertory and then the music while the children took up the Lamb’s Offering before the children’s story and then the snippet while the children went back to their seats before the special hymn. Then came the sermonette. During the foot-washing portion of the service, my friend and I washed each other’s feet.

Then it was back to the organ and I played until the men came back in. Being Communion, I played “Break Thou the Bread of Life” while the bread was passed, then “There Is a Fountain” while the grape juice went around. I picked up my little cup of juice and wished I’d waited. I watched it while I hoped and prayed I wouldn’t spill it.

It was time for the closing song and usually the passage is read, “Then they sang a hymn and went out…” and after the song, everyone leaves. Today, my minister friend elected to have a closing prayer so I played “Dismiss Us, Lord” before the postlude. Everyone does things differently.

When I got to the fellowship hall, I could smell something had burned. That wasn’t surprising since there are those that think the best way to cook food is on high. I went to the kitchen and lo! it was my casserole. Not knowing the oven was having thermostat problems, the poor thing had been in a fiery furnace until it was practically a crisp. One of the ladies told me she’d turned it down to 150 and it hadn’t helped. I don’t know why she didn’t take it out.

It was set on the table and looked, for all the world, like a burnt offering. I could have cried but it wouldn’t have helped. I put my guac and chips in the large bowl Mother or my sister had given me many Christmases ago. One gave me one kind of bowl and the other gave me a different kind but the same pattern and I can’t remember which gave me which. I laid the lid to my Pyrex container on top of the toaster oven (which wasn’t in use).

In spite of the completely black parts of the dish, it was eaten down to the pieces that were totally inedible.

I sat with my friends and ate a little that I’d pieced together. I totally don’t do very well at fellowship meals and with my dish a disaster, it was that much less I had to eat.

After I finished, I skittered over to the nursing home and took Genese some chocolate that I’d picked up at ALDI. It’s Fair Trade 75% cocoa and GOOD. The package has five individually wrapped bars. Next time I’m there, I’m going to get some more.

We didn’t have much time to visit since the couple was going to follow me home. I’d promised her a couple of boxes of Veggie Cutlets. Besides, I still had to load up my dishes.

When I went to the kitchen, I reached for the lid for my container and it wasn’t there. One of the fellows helped me look and another went through the trash (though I didn’t think anyone would have thrown it away). It never turned up. I’ve checked on Amazon and I could get a replacement for $4.25. I don’t think so.

The couple followed me home and I gave her the promised Cutlets plus some gluten-free pasta. They stayed a very few minutes and were on their way.

Cuz came over later and said she’d picked up a ballast for the kitchen light. I hope it’s the right one. That fixture won’t come on now and one of the brand new bulbs has a wide black stripe on one end.

Well, tonight has been a better night than last night already. I had a coughing episode that lasted for at least a half hour. Those wear me out. It would be nice if those would stop. Completely. But then, I’d probably have to stop breathing, too.

4 Responses to Refreshing My Memory

  1. Mary Jane October 25, 2015 at 7:18 am #

    Too bad about the casserole, but glad some of it could be salvaged and enjoyed.

    • Tommie October 25, 2015 at 9:04 am #

      I was going to try to trim off the worst parts but was told to leave them because “SOME people like to eat stuff like that”.

  2. Lila October 26, 2015 at 5:51 pm #

    I have decided never to take a casserole lid to a fellowship dinner, in case it got chipped or worse, what happened to yours. Maybe it will turn up yet. We can hope.

    • Tommie October 26, 2015 at 8:09 pm #

      I sent out and email and posted on my church Facebook page. There were two lids there and they probably got picked up together.

Leave a Reply to Tommie Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.