Off on a Lark

My sister has been coping with Vista and popups for weeks. After she decided she’d had it, (and her grandson is playing basketball) she planned a trip to bring it and herself over. We decided on today for me to go get it and start on installing Windows 7.

I was up by 6:30 (early for me these days) and on the road by 10:30. It takes some time for me t get around since I have to take my thyroid med and wait for an hour before I can even think about eating. I had a few things I wanted to get together to take, too. Some, I’d already put out last night. Others, I had to wait until today.

An email reminder had come in to shoot myself in the leg. I figured it would be best to go ahead and do it so I wouldn’t be looking forward to it tomorrow.

It may be that Speedy Gonzales (my sister) drives much faster than I do or maybe she doesn’t realize how much farther I have to go past the town where she used to live. At any rate, she always estimates my travel time as 45 minutes when it actually takes me over an hour. With the wait time at the bridge that’s being repaired, that can add another few. Minutes, that is.

When I got there, I discovered my great-niece was there, as well. Lucky girl didn’t have any classes today but she did have to go to work after she scrounged around for some lunch. When she was ready to go, she looked (and smelled) beautiful. I’d had my sister get the WiFi info from her but I had to pick her brain as well. Eventually, I got my computer connected to the network. It wasn’t necessary for me to be online but it was nice to check email and Facebook, anyway.

The reason behind my taking mine was that my ex-notebook has an achingly slow CD/DVD drive and I wasn’t willing to wait as long as it would take to load Windows using it. I put the DVD in my computer and copied the files off onto a flash drive. It cut down considerably on the process.

ChocolateWith things started, my sister and I visited until she was near ’bout starving. Well, it wasn’t that bad but she was ready to eat so eat, we did. She’d made vegetable soup like Mother used to make and I’d taken each of us a burger. We made sandwiches and had some avocado slices, as well. For dessert, I contributed So Delicious chocolate coconut ice cream, the rest of the Theo’s dark chocolate with mint (I abstained) and some sesame crunch. I fixed a cup of Dandy Blend and put too much almond milk in it. It didn’t taste anything like what I fix here at home. My sister wasn’t impressed and I wouldn’t have been, either. Maybe it was the water. I dunno.

After I got the graphics card driver installed on the third try, we loaded up in her car and went to the European Bakery. The cupboard was just about bare but I bought a loaf of artisan olive bread. Then it was on to the university supermarket where I planned to get some bread that was nowhere to be found. I asked and the woman told me they have a new baker since the first of the year and it might have been phased out. I’ll call and find out before I start looking again.

Back at the house, I put both computers in the car and, after a fond farewell, I came straight home. No Walmart, no passing Go, no collecting $200.

Some miles down the road, I started wondering if I had the power cord to the ex-computer. My sister needs to get a bag to carry it and the components but she uses the packing the computer I’m using now came in. That leaves the mouse and the power cord to be carried separately. It bugged me all the way home and when I started looking for it, I couldn’t find it anywhere. I called and left a message that I feared I left without it. Fortunately, I’d put it in the plastic bag with my Dandy blend so I didn’t have to have a nervous breakdown. Yet.

Genese’s brother’s granddaughter has had a rough time with a staph infection that has taken up residence in her bloodstream. It has eaten away huge patches of flesh and has invaded the bone in one place. She’s only five years old and has been in Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital but was transferred to the adult burn unit so she can get more focused care. A gofundme page has been set up. I’ve seen pictures of what’s under all those bandages and it’s horrendous. Since her admission on January 20, she’s had two surgeries and will be facing more as time goes on. If you can donate, please do. In any case, pray for her and her family. They need all the help they can get, monetarily and spiritually.

Well, the computer is currently doing its thing. No telling how long all this will take. We shall see what we shall see.

2 Responses to Off on a Lark

  1. Lila February 16, 2015 at 7:07 pm #

    It actually takes me an hour from here to your town, 45 minutes to our other sister’s house, if I don’t shop on the way. However, it might be possible that I do sometimes drive faster than you. I can hope!

    • Tommie February 16, 2015 at 7:34 pm #

      Cruise control helps me to be a law-abiding citizen most of the time.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.