Oops! I Did It Again!

Long, long ago, my mother told me a story. A couple had just gotten married and were going to the farm to start their lives together. The mule that was pulling the wagon stumbled. The man said, “That’s once.” A few minutes later, it stumbled again. The man said, “That’s twice.” When the mule stumbled the third time, the man said nothing, got off the wagon, picked up his shotgun and killed the mule. The wife yelled at the man, wanting to know why on earth he’d do such a thing? He looked at her, put the gun back in it’s place and said, “That’s once.”

I don’t know how that relates to what I did except now I’ve done it twice. I’d washed my bedding and was going to do a small load of clothes. When I do the latter, I spread out my housecoat and put the other things on top and use it to carry them to the utility room. I’d tossed everything into the washer, put in the detergent and pushed all the buttons I needed to. I left and went back to work some more in the bedroom. Sticking my hand in my pocket, I realized there was nothing there. I’d left my pedometer in my housecoat pocket. Again.

Making my way (quickly) to the utility room, I stopped the washer, reached in and, sure enough, there was the pedometer. It still had a display even though it was wet. I dried it off as best I could and put it in my pocket. Disaster averted once again.

That night, I was in bed before 9:30 and up by 6. I’d failed to set the timer but I wake when the sun comes up unless I’m wearing my mask.

Church was a little different this time because I’d told the pianist I needed her to play the organ for the closing song. I was cutting out as soon as the sermon started. My sisters had come from North Carolina to attend the graduation of a grandchild.

I came home, ate the rest of Mother’s vegetable soup and got ready to leave. Twinkle’s litter box was cleaned and her food dish filled. It was hard to not crawl into my waterbed and curl up. The cloudy, misty day would have been so nice for sleeping.

The rain came in fits and starts when I was driving to my destination. There was reception for The Graduate that evening with lots of finger foods.

DS1 and his family were supposed to get there around 5 but it was more like 6 when I called him and found out he was in the front yard. They came on in and the four of us had our own little reunion.

My sister had let me know there was a big tray of veggies, some fruit and other things that I could eat. I had a few olives, some hummus on crackers a few pieces of fruit including STRAWBERRIES. They were so good, I fear I made a pig of myself.

After my telling my sister for weeks that she should get a wireless router and having that idea poo-pooed by everyone from her computer geek on down, someone at her daughter’s house convinced her that she needs—a wireless router. She thought it would cost $100 but I told her she can get one for less than $20. Sure, she could PAY $100 for one or even $300 or $500 but she doesn’t need one that costs that much. People don’t understand about such things. One of DS1’s friends thought there would be a monthly fee. Help!! It’s a one time purchase, folks.

DIL1 and my granddaughter had left before DS1 and I did. I handed him the keys so I could be a passenger. We made it home with no problem. My DIL was eating popcorn and my granddaughter was holed up in her room.

DS1 did what amounted to a slide show. The setup is much easier these days but I got to see people I don’t know and places I’ve never been just like the old days. Benji would get on the loveseat next to me and put his head in my lap. You’d think he was going to tear me limb from limb when I first go in but then he remembers me.

Since I sleep on the couch when I’m there, I can’t go to bed until everyone else does. DS1 couldn’t stay up too late because today was a work day.

I took my melatonin and turned in. There were a couple of blankets but I was reluctant to use the one that had “True Love” emblazoned on it with the names of my DIL’s parents stitched in the middle. When I couldn’t sleep because I was too cold, I had to rethink that.

DS1 was up by 4 EDT which was 3 TT. The melatonin kept me from waking completely. After he left, I was back sound asleep until the timer went off (yep, I used it there, too) at 5 TT. I would have given a pretty penny to be able to sleep longer but I had places to go and people to see.

Sophie the cat had pretty much ignored me until I put on my black slacks and then I couldn’t be more loved. She kept rubbing against my legs. I know those cats get baths every now and then so I wasn’t too worried about cat hair but when I got in the car…from the knees down, I was liberally sprinkled. After picking and picking, I’d gotten a lot off but I probably still had a good layer.

I was early getting to the church so I sat in the car and listened to the radio for a few minutes. I’d planned to be in the church at 9:30 since graduation started at 10. If I got there first, I was to save seats. If the others beat me, they’d do the same. As soon as I walked into the sanctuary, I spied one of my sisters. Most of two pews were staked out for our family and friends.

It was farther back than I would have chosen but the place was filling up fast. The sanctuary is huge and I thought there would be plenty of room but it was a good thing we got there when we did.

Before things started, I took a trip to the bathroom and found a shortcut to the nearest ladies’. The toilet paper situation was getting critical and I had to hand some under the stall to a woman next door.

When I was preparing to leave, I checked my hair in the mirror one last time. A lady exclaimed over how pretty it is which took me by surprise. I used to have pretty hair but now I feel like it’s something that covers my head and isn’t that attractive. Whether she needed glasses or not, I appreciated the compliment.

Finally, 10 o’clock came and the prelude changed to the processional for the faculty and then the organist went into a rather lively rendition of “Pomp and Circumstance”. I’ve never heard the rock ‘n’ roll version of it before today. One of my sisters asked the other what the organist was playing and I thought the askee was going to fall off the pew laughing. I’d already remarked that it was a lively tune.

We’ve always sat on the left side of the sanctuary but it was decreed that we’d go to the right this time. Bad choice. The seniors marched down the aisle on the left of the center and I didn’t once see my great niece.

I’d put my hearing aids in so I’d be able to follow the speakers but our location was right in front of the balcony. The space behind us formed a “shell” that took all the noise from the front, magnified it and threw it back at us.

One earnest young man was well into his speech when it hit me that I’d better get to the bathroom—and fast. I guess the combination of hummus and so many strawberries wasn’t a good one. I made my way past the sea of legs and near-sprinted to the bathroom.

When I got back, a young woman was pleading with her classmates to come see her any time during the next 150 years, that her front door would always be open. I waited until she was through to find my way back to my seat.

All the clapping and cheering was deafening. I turned my aids off and it was still too loud. I was beginning to get a headache. The senior class wasn’t huge by public school standards but there were around 80 diplomas handed out. My great niece was vice-president of her class and received a nice renewable scholarship to the university.

After everything was over and we were in the foyer visiting, I had to run to the br again. The woman coming out of the family restroom told me there was no paper (big surprise) and she hoped I was prepared. Before I could go in, a fellow I’m acquainted with came running with some partial rolls. While I was practically dancing, he insisted on installing it in the dispenser. On his way out, he asked how I’m doing. I told him I’d be better when I got through in there. In other words—GET OUTTA MY WAY!!

Back with the family, my other sister found something she’d wanted to show her granddaughter and me since we’re both cat people. I snapped it up when she offered it to whoever wanted it.

Cat lady

A word of advice—click on it so you can see it better.

This is a picture of the great aunts with the great niece. I don’t know who took the picture because we were posing for someone else. I think it’s better we aren’t smiling into the camera, though. And I do have permission from the niece to post it.

The Graduate and Two Great Aunts

After I left the venue, I had planned to change clothes but I figured the only things that were uncomfortable were my bra and shoes. I left the bra and put on other shoes.

Of course, I had to go to the university market. They have So Delicious ice cream. It’s a lot more there than it was at Walmart but I had coupons. I’d taken a cooler with ten lubs of ice so I could get it home in good shape.

From there, it was to Walmart and then home where Twinkle met me at the door. Oh, while I was sitting in the parking lot at WM, I called my cousin to see if I was supposed to feed the critters. That was the second phone call I can remember making with my minutes since August of last year.

By the time I got home, I was having to force myself to put one foot in front of the other. I got my computer set back up and opened a carton of coconut water. While I was resting a bit, DD called and we talked for almost 40 minutes. She’s still looking at properties but hasn’t settled on anything yet.

My co-op order was supposed to be given to me yesterday but I escaped before it could be. The Computer Owner called and brought it by this afternoon. I met her at the door, took it and she was on her way. I was ‘way too tired to invite her in.

It’s been a long weekend. I’m ready to veg out all night tonight and maybe all day tomorrow. I think I need to go to bed.

4 Responses to Oops! I Did It Again!

  1. Denise May 19, 2014 at 9:38 pm #

    I liked the picture! You ladies were a wonderful trio!

  2. Mary Jane May 22, 2014 at 6:42 am #

    It is a good picture of 2 of the people. The other one should have been eliminated!

    • Tommie May 22, 2014 at 7:24 am #

      I think it’s good of all three (but I’m prejudiced)!

Leave a Reply to Denise Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.