Life Is What Happens

Yesterday was spent doing things around the house and being concerned about Twinkle. She had quit eating and was barely drinking water. Lethargic, she’d just lay around and didn’t respond to any invitation for lap time. She had to be sick.

BTW, yesterday was DH’s 68th birthday. It’s hard to think of him at that age. The last time I saw him, he was 41. Quite a difference.

I couldn’t stay up all night watching Twinkle so I went to bed and hoped for the best. When I’d wake, I’d come out and check on her. She was still breathing.

This morning, I was trying my best to have my devotions but I couldn’t concentrate. The Animal Hospital is open Sabbath mornings so that’s where I spent part of the time I’d usually be in church. My persistent cough kept me from going but it didn’t keep me from taking Twinkle to the vet.

She mildly objected to being put into the box but was too weak to escape. I’d warmed up the car so the temperature change wouldn’t be a shock to her system.

When I was pulling out of the driveway, my CIL was pulling in. I stopped and told him where I was headed and why.

There were two women in the waiting room herding a flock of dogs. They were little things but well behaved. There were five or six of them. The way they were tangled up, it was hard to tell. Twinkle was being very quiet.

When her turn came, she was weighed and she’d gained a half pound since the last visit. The young girl had someone come back in with her to help while she took her temperature and got a stool sample. The young man came in and yelled, “Twinkle!!” While he held her, the girl took care of the two tasks. Twinkle was not happy. It was the first time I’ve ever heard her make a peep there but she yowled and hissed.

The vet came in and said Twinkle had a fever. She would give her a shot of antibiotics plus a liquid for me to give her, as well. She’d worm her and give her a B-12 shot plus a shot for nausea. The young girl came in with the antibiotic and gave me instructions on how to give it. I’m to bring her back in the end of the week.

I was surprised the bill wasn’t more. I was expecting no telling how much. Passing over my credit card, it was hit with $55.

We loaded up and came home. Twinkle had to make sure she was really here before she got on her chair. That’s where she’s been all day except for the times she’d get up and drink a bit of water.

When I checked my email, there was a message from DD that she was boarding the plane to come for her visit. She said she should be here at the house by 8 p.m.

Around 2 o’clock, she called from Spokane. There was a medical emergency and the flight (which was supposed to be nonstop) was diverted. Tragically, a teenage boy died in spite of everything the doctors and EMTs could do. Another crew was to be flown in to take over and continue on to Atlanta.

I’ve been keeping the family (including my cousin) up to date and merm & I have been emailing back and forth.

At the moment, I have no idea if she’s still on the ground or in the air. Hopefully, the airline will pay for a hotel room for her tonight. According to FlightStats she’s airborne but Google shows it as still red. Guess I’ll know it when I know it.

Twinkle is resting. I should be in bed but I’m on pins and needles wondering about my “little girl”. She may be 35 but I’m still her mother.

2 Responses to Life Is What Happens

  1. Lila December 8, 2013 at 8:49 am #

    Hoping your delayed daughter will get there this morning without further mishap. Also hoping today sees a lot of improvement in Twinkle.

    • Tommie December 9, 2013 at 9:58 am #

      See today’s post. 😀

Leave a Reply to Tommie Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.