When I Was a Little Girl,

in the winter my mother would warm my clothes before she would dress me. Later, when I could dress myself, she’d warm my clothes before I put them on. I’ve kept up the practice throughout my life. Not running the furnace has made it difficult to warm my clothes, though. Being the slow thinker I am, it didn’t occur to me to put them in the dryer until just recently. I turn it on to the wrinkle-free setting and then to “very dry”. A couple of minutes tumbling and they are toasty. Just what I need on these cold winter mornings.

Yesterday, the temperature in my bedroom was 42 degrees F. It was 32 outside. When I took my bath, the bathroom had warmed up to 52 degrees.

Getting started was difficult. I exercised and that seemed to call some energy from somewhere. I vacuumed, washed dishes, tended Twinkle’s litter box, did some dusting, cooked some lentils, kale and baked sweet potatoes. Oh, and I ate, too. Mustn’t forget that.

I was in bed shortly after 9 p.m. That was an almost-disaster. I’ve been getting to bed much later so I woke in the early early morning. Recently, I read about using the ABCs to pray so I’ve adopted that practice for when I wake at night. I pray for everyone I can think of whose names begin with A and so on. I was still on the “B’s” but when I talked to the newly widowed friend, I told her I’d skip to D. This morning, I prayed for her and her family until I went back to sleep.

Since church is in Central time and they fell back even though I didn’t, I had an extra hour to get ready. I didn’t wake until around 7 (6 Central) and it gave me a false sense of security. I got some music together for the meditation time between the Sabbath School lesson and song service plus some more for the memorial this afternoon.

I had to cleanse my body in a 48 degree bathroom. It really isn’t as bad as it sounds. Granted, I’d like to be able to run the furnace but critters get into the ducts and from there into the house. It’s been nice not to have that happen this season.

Coming down the mountain, I got behind a tractor. The driver pulled over and let me by at the first opportunity but it was already getting close to the time for the first song service to begin. It was underway when I walked in the door. I went to the organ and was playing along when some of the pedals started sticking. There was nothing I could do and it was an awful noise. The song leader looked at me questioningly and the piano technician came up to ask what was going on. Just before the end of the song, they popped loose and it was okay after that. The tech said it sounded like thunder. I guess no one could sleep through such a racket.

My hearing aids weren’t responding to the ePen and I found out why when I went into the bathroom. The batteries were dead. I got some out of my purse, put them in and I was in business. I was able to hear everything during the lesson study.

Things went more smoothly this week and I didn’t have to play as long during the meditation period as I did last. I’d gotten through a couple of songs and was started on the third when the song leader took to the platform. She had picked out four songs ahead of time and gave the pianist and me the titles and numbers. After we got through those, she selected a fifth.

Church went well. Even though the bulletin doesn’t show all the changes, I’d written in what I needed to remember.

The pastor had a good sermon but I couldn’t fully concentrate with another session at the organ coming up.

There was ‘way more food at the fellowship meal than was needed. I’d intended to take more than the boiled peanuts I’d put in the car last night but I didn’t have time to load it up. It was just as well. I had plenty to eat as did everyone else. I’d forgotten to take my kala namak but I didn’t need it.

I talked to the piano technician and he was surprised that I’m planning for him to deliver the piano Wednesday. Seems the email I’d sent was either not received or that part wasn’t read. So…I’m waiting for a call.

About 1:30, I went to the church to run through some songs before the memorial started. When I got there, practicing was going on. Then the trumpeter wanted to practice with the pianist and me. I was supposed to play from 1:50 until 2. I started practicing and people were already coming in. Instead of the 10 minutes, with the problems getting the slideshow set up, I ended up playing more like 25 minutes. I had Mother’s list and was playing all the songs I could play by ear but I ran out. I started over and even played one of the songs my father-in-law used to sing.

Go Take the News to Mother

Go take the news to Mother
And tell her that I love her
And tell her not to wait for me
For I’m not coming home.

There is, there is no other
To take the place of Mother
And kiss her dear sweet lips for me
For I’m not coming home.

After all these years, I find that’s a folk song and his version isn’t exactly like the ones online and I don’t know about the tune. Anyway, I played it the way he sang it.

The memorial was very nice with family participating. There was quite a bit of music. The pastor gave the homily.


I’d picked out three songs to play as people filed out but the pastor had other ideas. The church was full. He had the family stand by the organ while the people came up from that side of the church to pay their respects. Then he switched them to the piano side so those people could file by and greet them. I played the three songs over and over. I hadn’t noticed that when I copied one of the songs, the bass was cut off at the bottom so I improvised as best I could. I don’t know how long I played but I was getting so tired I was hitting all sorts of wrong notes.

I don’t remember closing the organ or locking it. It may still be wide open. A former pastor and his wife came up to see me when I was getting off the bench. The last time we met was at a funeral. Seems to be the story of my life any more.

It was 4:30 when I got home. I’ve had popping in my left ear that just started today. I thought it was my hearing aid but it kept on after I took it out. I’ve tried breathing steam but it still does it intermittently. After much more of this, I may go nuts. And don’t anyone ask, “How could you tell?”

There is a women’s ministry meeting tomorrow morning and then a pre-cooking school session. In the other valley is the Women’s Prayer Breakfast. I’d planned to go to that but guess what? I’m staying home.

Twinkle is on the arm of the chair. She has been stationed in front of the fireplace. I’m wondering if she senses a critter trying to get in. I’ll let her take care of that part of the household and I’m going to bed soon.

6 Responses to When I Was a Little Girl,

  1. Lila November 9, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

    I’m wondering who died – a husband, wife, or other?

    I would love to be able to play the piano as well as you; never mind the organ, the piano would be enough.

    • Tommie November 9, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

      It was the husband of one of my friends. His health had been declining for several years.

  2. Inge November 10, 2013 at 12:15 am #

    So you`ve given up on the furnace and are just heating with wood?

    Should keep you invigorated. 😉

    • Tommie November 10, 2013 at 6:33 am #

      I haven’t given up on it. It’s just not being used until the duct-work can be taken care of. The fireplace is non-functional. It has gas logs but that’s a whole other story. There’s no gas going to them. I’m heating with my Dr. Heater and the oven in the kitchen range.

  3. Mary Jane November 10, 2013 at 11:41 am #

    When I was a little girl Mother would warm a small blanket to wrap around my feet when I went to bed. Now I depend on an electric blanket!

    • Tommie November 11, 2013 at 8:20 am #

      Mother was a very thoughtful person when it came to the comfort of her children. Cross her, though, and you lived to regret it. 😮

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.