Appointments Day

Last night was miserable. I coughed and coughed. I’d already taken some of the liquid melatonin and didn’t want to double the whammy by taking cough medicine, too. It came to the point that I had to do something so I caved. I took a small dose of cough medicine and it quieted it enough that I could sleep. I had a strange dream about the sister of one of my friends at church. I’d made pasta dough and she helped herself to a large portion of it. She had some kind of frozen mix to fill it with that was soft, mushy and not at all pleasant. She assured me it was vegan. I guess that was to make it attractive.

There’s a Blue Cross of Tennessee commercial I keep seeing and I was able to get the lines down. A very skinny older man says, “We don’t quit playing because we get old. We get old because we quit playing.” Then he pole vaults. Guess I should start playing more.

Genese roused and played words on all three of our boards. Take a look at this one and tell me who you think will win.

Genese is winning

I had to be at the audiologist’s office at 10 TT. I got there a couple minutes after. A man came in while I was waiting and she took care of the problem with his aids right there in the waiting room. After he left, I was next. We went into her office where she gave me the pros and cons of the aids I want. The 501s that were sent to me by mistake sounded better than the 701s (which are more expensive). The first ones I had were the most comfortable to wear. She had a pair of 701s in the comfortable case that had been worn for a year. I think she was hoping I’d agree to them. But I figure combine the two—get 501s in the comfortable case. After much back and forth, that’s what she agreed to do. They’ll call me when they come in.

The bathroom was calling and I thought we were through. She got her box of loaners and said she would fit me with a pair to wear until mine come in. As soon as I finished going potty, she outfitted me with some older aids that aren’t adjustable. I was fine with not wearing any at all.

I left there at 11:30 TT. My next appointment with the optometrist was at 1:30 TT. I could do my grocery shopping, bring the purchases home and put them away, then go back for the visual field test.

My road trip partners were shopping so we visited, then I talked to one of the produce guys for a bit. I thought he’d said he’d posted about the mangoes on Facebook but he said he would if any more came in.

I had two coupons in my purse that I’d planned to use. I failed to get them out but I did remember price match on bananas and peaches. I can use the coupons next time.

Up the mountain and back down again, I was taken in for the test almost half an hour after my appointment time. When the right eye was finished and preparation was made to test the left, I pleaded, “Do we have to do the left? He was concerned about the right one.” She apologized and said he wanted both.

At the end of the ordeal, I was shown to the exam room to wait for the doctor. The right hearing aid commenced to squealing. It had been popping earlier. I tried poking the dome farther into my ear but nothing helped. Both of them were summarily put into my purse.

The doctor came in with my results. The right eye was perfect. There was a mark on the test for the left one that he said was nothing to worry about. At first he said it was a defect but he quickly corrected himself and said it was an artifact. I didn’t know what kind of artifact and, to be perfectly honest, I didn’t care. It didn’t show up on my first test so it wasn’t significant.

I had my ancient records with me and he was interested in seeing them. There were visual field tests upon visual field tests so he could see I was telling him the truth about my history. After going through them, he stressed that he wanted me to come back next year for a regular exam and I promised I would. He said he was satisfied my eyes are okay. I remarked that it was only my bank account that would suffer. That’s when he said he would waive the fee since the test was for his own satisfaction. WOOHOO!!

On the way home, I stopped and bought some tomatoes at a roadside stand. The one I put in my salad was rather dry. Then I went to another stand I hadn’t been to for forever. The matriarch works at the hospital so she caught me up on the goings on there. Her daughter is getting into making decorative gourds so I took at tour of some of her art. My purchases were some boiled peanuts—both salted and Cajun. They were so heavily salted I’ve rinsed and rinsed them, then boiled them in fresh water twice. I may have to repeat it a couple more times.

My cousin called me this afternoon to see how I was feeling. Later, I took the compost out and she was sitting on her back steps playing with the kittens. I went over and we talked a bit. She said she needed a haircut. I could have offered but she wouldn’t have taken me up on it so I didn’t.

To try to get more calories into Twinkle, I put a bit of olive oil on her food. She licked it off and ignored the food. I don’t know that it’s a good idea, after all. She’s kept ignoring it. I hope I haven’t turned her against it completely.

It’s been a long (and stressful) day. I hope to have a long (and restful) night.

2 Responses to Appointments Day

  1. Lila July 19, 2013 at 8:33 am #

    I just noticed the FEEDJIT at the right. Interesting that someone from Landrum, SC, was reading your blog!

    • Tommie July 19, 2013 at 8:53 am #

      That IS interesting!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.