My Week: Two-Toned Tan

It isn’t by choice I am two-toned. Up until mid-summer of last year, I would go out and get sun on both the front and back but no more. Now, I sit in the sun on the deck earlier and earlier in the morning. No more basking in as little as the law allows pretty much out of sight beside my house. Nope. There are circumstances beyond my control that prevent it. My arms and legs show it. Getting browner on the front and still pretty pasty white otherwise.

You see, a year ago next July, the Garage Guest and his dog, Pooky, came to stay for something like 30 days and they are still here. I don’t go out where I can be easily seen or accosted by a cold wet nose. Pooky comes over into my yard and barks at me whenever I venture outside, anyway. It isn’t pleasant. One of the forum members was talking about grounding oneself or “earthing” by walking in the grass barefooted. Would that I could but Pooky manages to erase any desire by scooting on her butt wherever she pleases. So far, she has stayed out of my square foot boxes and that had better continue.

She uses my deck as a shortcut for when she goes to relieve herself. I haven’t stepped in anything yet but I’ve been warned to watch out. I think the Garage Guest needs a pooper scooper and a bag to go with it. As far as GG’s bathroom habits, I haven’t observed (for which I’m glad) but I think behind the garage is his spot of choice. My neighbor and I were looking at things that needed to be either cut or trimmed. I pointed out a patch daffodil greenery that was lying down and yellowed and wondered why. “Looks like somebody peed on it.” Oh, joy.

But on to more pleasant things.

Sunday, I got up early so I could get a start on getting ready to go. DS2 and my DIL needed someone to stay with my granddaughter on Monday and Tuesday so I was selected. Besides visiting with DD, I got as much done as I could before I went to the nominating committee meeting. It was, as usual, supposed to be short. At the hour and 10 minute mark, I left, came home, finished up and set out. I stopped to get gas and headed down the road.

Monday wasn’t terribly busy. My granddaughter and I just sorta vegged out most of the day except for “cooking”. I’d taken ingredients, all measured out and in containers, for Super Duper Gut Bombs. I told her she was going to have to help me because I didn’t know where everything in the kitchen was. Long story short, she went by the abbreviated “recipe” I’d printed off and we got ‘er done. She had one bite and pronounced it “spicy” so I toned it down. Far as I know, that’s all she ate of them. When the parents got home, her mom read the “recipe” and was turned off by some of the stuff that was in them but when she tasted one, she really really liked it! That was somewhat of a coup for the picky eater!

Tuesday morning, I juiced an extra two oranges and put probably four ozzies in a glass and took it to my granddaughter. She looked at it with some doubt. I told her to taste it. She did and looked pleasantly surprised. She didn’t drink any more of it right then. I finally took it back to the kitchen so it wouldn’t get turned over by her Wii shenanigans.

It sat on the counter for a long time. I finally bribed her by telling her I’d cut the watermelon in the fridge when she finished it. She downed the rest in a gulp. That afternoon, we had a “watermelon picnic” and ate some while sitting on towels she’d spread on the grass.

First watermelon of 2012!

Back when I was still working at the hospital, the toenails on my big toes started separating from the nail beds. My PCP thought it might be a fungus and said he’d put me on Lamasil for three months if they didn’t get better. Well, I didn’t want to do that. I read up on what could cause it and there are a number of things. Just to be on the safe side, I put tea tree oil on them. Gradually, they quit separating and they are almost back to normal. Not pretty but they never were.

My feet

When my DIL got home, she loaded my granddaughter into the car to take her to the dentist to have a baby tooth pulled. I’d made an appointment to get my hair cut by the person who did such a good job trimming the sides and back when I was there before.

Here’s the picture I showed her:

She would bring a fancy price.

Here’s her interpretation:


What was REALLY embarrassing was running into a friend in the university supermarket with my hair that way. I guess you could say I’m a bit vain but that “do” just isn’t me. She didn’t seem to notice anything out of the ordinary so I went with the flow.

There isn’t much left to work with but here’s my version:

My version

I don’t think I’ll go back there. When one of my nephews was a little boy, my sister got her hair cut. He was trying to be encouraging and comfort her by saying, “It will gwow.” Well, mine will gwow, too, but not soon enough.

Continuing on to DS1’s, I shared some Super Duper Gut Bombs with them for supper. My DIL ate half of one to be nice, DS1 had a couple or three. I had, I think, two and a half. If I’m not completely wrong, my granddaughter ate three and a half. I think she liked them!

While the others watched TV, I put the finishing touches on my Tuesday night post. After telling one of my forum members I was surprised by its quiet reception, she said people probably didn’t know what to say. Either that, or no one’s read it.

When I went in to brush my teeth, I didn’t have my toothbrush. Next morning, I called and asked my DIL to put it in a bag and hang it on the door. On my way out, I stopped and picked it up.

With the usual stops, I got home late that afternoon. I unloaded the car and put most of the groceries away and ate. I was tired.

Wednesday night, I was back in my own bed and it was so nice.

Thursday, I was do-less. My neighbor called and said she’d found some little yellow mangoes at 4/$1. I told her to get me a couple dollars worth and some mushrooms (I’d forgotten to get them). She brought me 12 mangoes and two packages of mushrooms and wouldn’t let me pay for them. One of these days, I’m going to give her a big list and see what she says.

Friday, I got up and stripped the bed so I wouldn’t forget and make it up. During my years of being gainfully employed, I would change the bed on Sunday. Now, I’m trying to get into the habit of changing it on Friday so I’ll have a clean bed for Sabbath. I got some other things done, too, such as laundry and fixing food for today.

I fixed one of the bargain mangoes and it was wonderful! I thought I’d have her get more if she’s at that store again. Today, I fixed another and it was as bad as the other one was good. We’ll have to see how the others go…

Twinkle has been scratching and digging so I got out the Adams flea stuff, held her down and thought I was getting it between her shoulder blades. I was off by about a half inch and that was enough that she could lick it. She immediately upchucked but the scratching has almost stopped. My DIL was surprised that she might have fleas because she doesn’t go outside. However, I go out and Pooky scratches constantly. I’m sure I carry them back in. I don’t like to have to put insecticide on Twinkle but it’s the lesser of two evils.

This is campmeeting weekend at the university so the church was closed today. I had a nice quiet Sabbath with Twinkle. It won’t be long until I’ll be snoozing in my own room in my own bed. AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh!

10 Responses to My Week: Two-Toned Tan

  1. Lila May 26, 2012 at 10:05 pm #

    Too bad about the Garage Guest and Pooky! Incidentally, I was the sister that had the haircut you mentioned. Marie must have been not much more than a toddler. After we got back into the car, though I had said not a word about the hair, she volunteered, “That haih will gwow.” Glad yours will, after that cut! What a disappointment!

    • Tommie May 26, 2012 at 10:08 pm #

      Guess I have thought all these years it was a boy child. That doesn’t alter the fact that it will “gwow”. I hope.

  2. Mary Jane May 27, 2012 at 8:02 am #

    It’s too bad that Pooky is allowed to make your surroundings so unpleasant (and that her owner does some of the same!). Also too bad that you can’t warn her that she’ll be in BIG trouble if she bothers your garden!

    I’m appalled at your scalping! Ted used to go to a barber he called Hiawatha, until he found a good replacement. Maybe you could call this one Princess Cutalot. And I may have to be looking for a new hairdresser! Hope I won’t have disasters on the way. But, as Marie said, “it will gwow.”

    • Tommie May 27, 2012 at 8:28 am #

      GG has been warned about Pooky and the garden. He does leave her unattended at times, though.

      Good luck with finding a new hairdresser! When you luck out on a good one, they’re worth their weight in gold. Guess I’ll be going back to the Work Valley to the one there. And would you believe I paid $21 for that “do”? Or maybe I should say “don’t”.

  3. Mary Jane May 27, 2012 at 10:49 am #

    I’d go with “Don’t!”

  4. Genese May 27, 2012 at 11:46 am #

    Yikes! it’s spikes! Definitely a ‘don’t’.

    My monthly B-12 injections make my hair thicker and grow faster than ever, hopefully you will suffer the same side-effects. Actually your redo will be quite fetching when it gets a bit longer.

    GG and Pooky need an enrollment in obedience school. According to the old adage, “Fish and relatives should be thrown out after 3 days”, seems like ‘Garage Guest’ needs to be included in that list too.

    I would invest in one of those super-soaker water guns and target practice on Pooky. I’d add some essential oils such as eucalyptus or citronella to the water. A few direct hits in that barking face would teach her some manners as well as establish property boundaries without harming her.

    • Tommie May 27, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

      Thanks, Genese! for the hope for my hair as well as the good suggestions. I think my neighbors need to practice tough love…Best friends can become anything but if the friendship is abused.

      I went out to the garage to get something out of the freezer less than an hour ago (about 10:30 or so Tommie Time) and GG was still piled up on the cot. Pooky met me but didn’t bark and she didn’t lick my legs, either. I hate that!

  5. Melissa May 28, 2012 at 12:12 am #

    Yikes on the hair!! Wow. Too funny the way you wrote it though. I’m going through my own bad hair cut mourning so I can relate. I can’t do a darn thing with it.

    • Tommie May 28, 2012 at 7:49 am #

      Misery loves company. I guess.

Leave a Reply to Tommie Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.