The Raw Vegan, Part CXLIX: Back to Work

I had Friday and the weekend to recuperate and then it was back to the hospital bright and early on Monday morning. I had some of the pictures from NYC on my little Sony PDA but I was waiting to get more from merm. Those would be of the wedding. He sent them to all of the relatives as a “torrent”. I didn’t understand how that worked and, as a matter of fact, it didn’t work very well with my dialup. The images were huge compared to my bandwidth.

As they came in, I was able to put some more pictures on my PDA. When anyone would ask me how my trip was, I would whip it out and make them sorry they asked. I could store all sorts of files on it with my extra memory stick.

DD and merm’s honeymoon cruise would last nine days. They were talking more and more about doing a 30 day raw challenge but it would have to wait until after they got back from the cruise. They knew there would be lots of tasty cooked food on board the ship and they wanted to be able to enjoy it.

As for me, I was down a few more lubs but that wasn’t likely to last. Breakfast was the usual—OJ, fried taters and onions and scrambled eggs. On the weekend, the eggs would be in omelet form and filled with either shredded lettuce or sprouts, tomato, onion, avocado, ripe olives, cream cheese plus the necessary picante sauce. I’d found some really good (translate that “delicious”—not “good” as in “healthful”) fake sausage. The name was kind of a takeoff on Jimmy Dean sausage. It was Gimme Lean. It had soy and I didn’t indulge in soy but I made an exception.

With summer coming on, I would be increasing my fresh food eating, anyway. I was getting more and more interested in eating raw as I was stuffing my face with cooked food. I’d been doing a little research but what I found just didn’t seem right to me. That, coupled with DD telling me it would take days to fix a meal rather than minutes or hours at the most, left me a bit troubled.

There weren’t a lot of “uncook” books out there then. When I asked at the Adventist Book Center, they looked at me like I was crazy. I went to Books-A-Million and found one. Flipping through it, there wasn’t anything that interested me. Books Are Fun came to the nursing home periodically and set up in the dining room. Nothing there.

It looked as if whatever I found would have to be online. My connection was so slow, it took hours to find anything, let alone something as obscure as eating raw food. I decided I’d wait until DD and merm got back and confer with them. After all, there was no hurry. I could be patient.

2 Responses to The Raw Vegan, Part CXLIX: Back to Work

  1. Lila May 2, 2012 at 8:01 am #

    Mmmmm. Some of your food sounds so good! Seems to me appetite and food cravings can be a hard taskmaster. As least, I find it that way.

    • Tommie May 2, 2012 at 8:07 am #

      Food can be addictive, especially the prepared foods you find at the store. “Insiders” have revealed that the manufacturers have staffed labs that develop tastes, textures AND chemical additives that make a person want more and more. That’s one reason for the obesity in this country.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.