The Raw Vegan, Part CXLVI: My First (and Only) Cruise

As is my custom, I had flown in midweek when the fares were lower and I was scheduled to fly out midweek, as well. DD had taken a few days off work so we could be tourists in New York City. She and merm were putting off their honeymoon until the next month. It was just DD and me because merm was at work. Monday, we simply dropped in our tracks and rested. There was always tomorrow.

I had a few ideas about where I wanted to go and what I wanted to see. The group and I had already “done” the Empire State Building. That was my second trip to the top. The first was when I was 18 and I was with my sister, my brother-in-law and their two boys.

The weather continued to be cool and rainy. I was almost tempted to stay in but DD wanted to show me the sights. She had heard about a cruise that went around Manhattan and she thought that might be a good thing to do. She did some investigating and found the times so off we went.

The first order of business was to get me a Metro Card of my own. I’d been using one that merm had donated and it had expired. Since we were going to be doing a lot of running around, I got an unlimited ride one. It would be good for a few days after I left so I’d donate it back.

After that, DD wanted to show me where she worked. We had plenty of time before the cruise left. We headed for Machold Rare Violins where she was the front office manager. I’d pictured a ground level spacious business with plate glass windows in front because that’s what I knew to be the case where I lived. Not so there. We went into a door that led to an elevator. When we got off the elevator, there was a door in a hallway. She rang the bell, identified herself and we were admitted.

Thinking about it later, that was probably a much better setup for the type work they did. They had instruments worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in every size and condition imaginable. A walk-in shop wouldn’t be as secure.

I’d met some of her co-workers at the wedding but there were several more I met that day. She showed me around to all the rooms. It was quite awe-inspiring to see the rows and rows of violins, violas and bass viols. One of the staff was a world class luthier. He was working in a room filled with repair projects. It could have been intimidating if everyone weren’t so nice.

Leaving Machold, we took a bus to the docks. We were going to board the cruise ship and see Manhattan from a different perspective.

Before we got on the ship (more like a ferry), I visited the bathroom. By that time, I was used to the space constraints in New York and how every square inch was utilized but the bathroom was a little ridiculous. There was one stall that I had to practically ease into sideways it was so small. The sink was sandwiched in beside it. As a bonus, it smelled none too good.

The “ship” captain announced that we were on a Gilligan Cruise—it would take three hours to circle Manhattan Island. I hoped we wouldn’t meet the same fate as Gilligan and his cohorts did.

Rather than put all 34 photos I picked (from many many more) on my blog, you can go see them on Flickr if you want. When you get there, look above the thumbnails and click “Slideshow”. When the slideshow starts, click “Show info” to see the titles of the pictures. To be brutally honest, I don’t remember what everything is or even if I ever knew so some of the pictures are just untitled buildings. Then there’s the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, one shot that has the Chrysler Building. (It isn’t labeled so see if you can pick it out yourself.)

I do want to include one photo that is a bit unusual. It’s The Little Red Lighthouse.

The Little Red Lighthouse

Hudson Riverlights has this to say about it:

“The most beloved lighthouse in America, thanks to the children’s book ‘The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Grey Bridge’ by Hildegard H. Swift, illustrated by Lynd Ward. The Little Red Lighthouse is actually correctly known as the Jeffreys Hook Lighthouse.”

If you go to the web site, you can see the 360 degree view from the lighthouse.

When we got back to the dock and were waiting for the bus, DD decided she was hungry. There was a pretzel stand close by so she bought one. For a wonder, I declined. I’d wait until we got back to the apartment and feast on leftovers.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.