My Week: Venturing Far Afield

Well, the favor DS2 had asked on Friday night was granddaughter-sitting on Monday. She was out on spring break and arrangements had been made for every day but. Well, not exactly. A friend had offered to take care of her that day and then reneged at the last moment, almost. That threw the parents into a tailspin and Granny Sue came to the rescue.

When DS1 had called on Friday night, he said he’d be going to a friend’s wedding just a few miles from here. I hadn’t planned to go but the longer I thought about it, the more it seemed the thing to do. I’d go and surprise him.

I dashed around the house getting things together. I needed something out of the freezer for my supper that day and the next (I was spending Sunday night with DS2’s and Monday night with DS1’s). Try as I might, there is no way for me to open the garage door quietly. I disturbed the Garage Guest. He raised up and groaned, “Now I won’t be able to go back to sleep.” I told him I avoided going in when he was there but I was leaving and needed something, that when I’m on my regular schedule, I go in after he leaves. I prefer it that way. He admonished me to be more considerate and I left.

The surprise at the wedding was all mine. I waited and waited for DS1 and family to get there but they didn’t show. I tried my cell phone. No signal. I used the phone at the church to call but got voice mail. Soon DS1 called the church phone back and the groom knew I’d tried to call. My firstborn was sick. He was coughing like I was several weeks ago. I didn’t stay for the reception.

Getting back home, I put my stuff in the car and left.

I’d heard there was a lot of tornado damage in one area I drive through going the back way so I altered my course a little. Turns out I didn’t need to. The road that continues on where I don’t was still closed. There was a lot of damage on the road I had to travel but cleanup crews were hard at it. It was heartbreaking to see all the destruction. There were a couple of places that looked like houses had been completely demolished. There were others with roofs gone and still others that were only half standing. One looked like it was imploding. Fortunately, there were no fatalities but I’m sure there were injuries. I marveled that no one was killed.

There were a couple of things I needed from the store so I stopped at the university supermarket. It was the first time I could remember that I didn’t use a shopping cart and I carried my purchases out in one bag.

Getting to DS2’s, I was met by Zoe, the dawg. Now, there are dogs and there are dawgs. Zoe is a dawg. She’s getting too fat to jump on a person which is fine with me. At least it’s fine with me until she sits on my foot. Car unloaded, I changed my clothes and settled in.

My granddaughter showed me the kitten, formerly Rocky but now named Scooter. Mama Inky had only one kitten and he’s a tom. He’s a beautiful little fur-ball that DS2 tried to talk me into taking. I told him Twinkle would freak out. He asked, “Whose house is it? Yours or Twinkle’s?” I told him it’s Twinkle’s and that I, as her human, am allowed to live there. He snorted.

I went to the kitchen and started fixing my second meal of the day when my DIL accosted me. WHERE could she find black salt? My granddaughter just had to have some and they’d looked at the university supermarket for it. It wasn’t there. Of course I had gotten it from Amazon! I later sent her the link. I also left some of mine to do for a couple of days.

Monday, I was left alone long enough to get in my quiet time. When my granddaughter got up, I managed to get some decent food into her before she started junking it up. I was playing Mahjong Butterfly and let her play the tutorial and a few of the levels. She wanted it on her Kindle but we couldn’t find it anywhere that it was free. Not for the iPad, either. I have it as a free Chrome app. I haven’t heard if her campaign to buy it worked.

My DIL called and said she would be getting off at 3. DS2 managed to beat her home. It was a big surprise to walk in and there he was! I’d been in the bedroom getting my things packed up and ready to go.

We visited for a little while and I left.

On to the house where sick people lived. DS1’s wife’s hours have been increased since there’s been a change in administration so she didn’t get off work until 6. We waited to eat with her so that threw my meal much later than usual. DS1 helped to fix the meal and, with all the coughing going on, I figured I as good as had It. Not so! I’ve managed to avoid it this time.

They have Roku now and I was regaled with all the techie shows that are available. It’s nice but there’s more than enough for me to be tempted to watch online. I don’t need anything in addition to that.

He tried to find cooking shows for me but they are just “how to’s”. I like cooking SHOWS. Like “Worst Cooks in America“. It’s educational and funny all at the same time. I’ve learned a lot about knife skills and combining flavors just by watching food as entertainment.

DH’s sister had contacted me on Facebook and wanted to meet. I hadn’t left as early as she thought I would so we had to put it off until another time. When DS1 isn’t working and we have a chance to visit, I take it.

I stopped back by the supermarket and bought a few more things then took a chance and went to the beauty shop. I got the back and sides of my hair trimmed. I’ve been whacking off my bangs and sideburns. The woman said, “Even hairdressers don’t do that!” I didn’t tell her I was a hairdresser in another life. That bit should do me for another month or so.

On the way back through the tornado damage, I saw even more than I had two days before. I prayed for all the people involved. I can’t imagine (and hope I never can) what it’s like to go through such an experience.

Just about as soon as I walked in the door, the phone rang. It was DS1 telling me I’d left my Cooler Master on the couch. I told him to use it until I could pick it up. I have my notebook propped up on a book so it will get enough air to try to keep it cool. I have no illusions that he will want one like it. The one he wants was on a tech program. It’s made by Sharper Image.

The rest of the week has seen me trying to get back into my routine. I’ve been getting to bed ‘way too late. Today, I was sitting with a friend at the fellowship meal. She asked me if I were doing better. When I said yes, she commented, “You look tired.” Guess I’d better get back to “early to bed, early to rise”.

There’s a newly married couple in the church and they were sitting to my left. I’ve never seen anyone prouder of his bride and that’s very nice. She’s vegan (he probably is, too, since I’m sure she does the cooking) and she’d attempted to call me yesterday to try to coordinate the vegan food at the potluck. I don’t know why she wasn’t able to get through. I called myself today and there was no problem.

Well, I’ve eaten too much. I ate at the meal and snacked when I got home. If I keep this up, I’ll gain back all I lost during the Challenge. Which reminds me! DietBet sent me a $20 Amazon gift card for filling out a survey. That makes up for the 5% they held out plus what PayPal took because they paid out my winnings with a credit card.

Oh, I did talk to my neighbor yesterday. I told her I got chewed out by her tenant and she said yes, he’d told her he chided me and said for me to be more considerate. She took him to task and told him I could go into the garage any time I wanted to. If I want to go out at midnight or three o’clock in the morning, he isn’t to say anything. She informed him there’s a bedroom in the house he could sleep in but it’s his choice to live in the garage. I have a champion! I had to go out twice this morning and he roused up but said not a word.

It looks like there will be sun tomorrow. I hope so. That’s something I really really need. As for the rest of the week, it looks sorta iffy. At any rate, it WILL be a week.

4 Responses to My Week: Venturing Far Afield

  1. Mary Jane March 11, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

    Well, you had quite a week! I’m having one this week. Got a laugh out of the hairdresser’s remark–wouldn’t she be surprised. And I’m glad your neighbor let the garage tenant know that you can have access as needed.

    • Tommie March 11, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

      Another thing—the Tenant hates his job and called in sick one day last week. She told him he’d better not lose this job. If he did, he was outta here. He went to work that night.

  2. Lila March 11, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

    I’m wondering just what area all the tornado damage was in.

    • Tommie March 11, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

      Along Highway 58 from the other side of Snow Hill on for probably 1/4 mile is what I saw. There were other areas hit, too, like Harrison.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.