My Week: Excitement Overload

Sunday was Sunday all day long. I’d gotten to bed late the night before so I was dragging around most of the day. DD and I had our weekly conversation. The House is out but they were looking at another that might work better, anyway. When God closes a door, He opens a window. Anyway, I haven’t heard anything since either for or against.

There were some beautiful days this past week—sunny with temperatures in the upper 60s and low 70s. I took advantage of them as much as I could. I did a little shopping, too. My everyday shoe condition leaves much to be desired. I looked at my running shoes one day and decided I needed some replacements. I found these on eBay and while I usually do buy it now with shoes, these were on auction. They are still new with the box. I was the only bidder so I got them for the starting bid price which is ‘way less than they would be if I bought them in a store. They haven’t gotten here yet. I’m getting impatient. I want them and I want them NOW!!


I’ve exercised most days up until yesterday. Actually, my exercise wasn’t all it should be on Thursday because storms started moving in and the lights blinked. I didn’t want anything messing up the Wii and my TV so I just exercised that morning.

The excitement started Thursday night. I was on Facebook and started reading all the advice about what to do when the real storms hit during the next 24 hours. WeatherBug was chirping at me meantime and the TV stations were posting Facebook Fupdates on the approaching bad weather. By the time I went to bed, my mind was in a whirl and I could not go to sleep. About 1:30 a.m., I got up and did some cleaning in the kitchen then got online again. When I thought I could drop off, I went back to bed. I finally conked out after 3 a.m.

Yesterday, I wasn’t worth a plugged nickle. To say I was lazy and worthless would be an understatement. There’s a saying around here, “He’s (She’s) so lazy, he/she wouldn’t hit a lick at a snake.” Well, that was me. I ate and did a few dishes and that was that. I just don’t function well at all when I don’t get a good night’s sleep.

Then the storms started coming through. I pulled up and went to the wundermap page. I used the satellite map, set the animation at two or three frames at .50 and clicked on storm tracks. Then when I put my actual address in, it pinpointed the location of my house and I could see where the storms were in relation.

I’d gone out earlier in the afternoon and talked to my neighbor. He reminded me that if I needed shelter, I could get under their house or in the well house which is made of concrete block. OR, he said, I could go into the block portion of the garage. Well, there is a huge assortment of what could become flying objects in a tornado so I don’t think I would want to risk that. I thanked him and came back inside.

There were little dots all over the map indicating storms of varying degrees. The round yellow ones were regular thunderstorms. Diamond shaped yellow ones were rotating thunderstorms and pink triangles (WHY pink?) were tornadic thunderstorms. Once or twice there were little black tornadoes pictured and I didn’t have to wonder what they were. I watched for a long time and, during a lull, I took a bath. If I were to take flight somewhere, I didn’t want to be dirty for the trip.

After that, I settled in for the evening. I decided I wouldn’t want to brave getting out of the house to go to a cold, dark place no doubt populated by giant spiders. Twinkle wouldn’t want to go along so I’d have to leave her by herself. I made the decision I was going to ride out the storm in my house with my cat by my side. I kind of reminded me of the old man who refused to leave Mount St. Helens.

I alternated between tabs, updating Facebook and looking at the storms’ progress. The number of dots were multiplying and it seemed the target was my house. The dots would get closer and closer and I would pray. Then they would veer off in another direction or disappear. At one point, there was a rotating thunderstorm sitting right over our little community. The thunder and lightning were spectacular.

DS2 called to check on me. They were watching the reports on TV so I told my DIL that I would send the link for the radar setup so they could get a better idea of what was going on. In the course of the conversation, I found that the real reason for the call was to ask a favor. Oh, well.

Then DS1 called and he really was checking to see if I was okay. I shouldn’t say DS2 wasn’t, I guess, but he did have another motive whether it was ulterior or not. Anyway, I’d sent the link to DS1, too, so he said he’d check his email. Technology is amazing!

I went back to watching the dots and the multicolored radar dance across the screen. Time was when we wouldn’t have believed such was possible and I don’t know but what it was better then. It was more peaceful, anyway.

Along about 10:30, I was ready to drop in my tracks and as soon as the dots disappeared completely from the proximity of my house, I went to bed.

This morning, I didn’t wake up until well after 8. There was no way I’d be able to get to church on time. I called the pianist’s house to let her know I’d be there when I got there. It was time for the second song service when I walked in.

After church, I’d been invited to lunch at the home of some friends. I’d taken food and there were two other people who were helping out food-wise, too. One of the men from church joined us, as well. We had a good time with great food (the hostess makes a mean salad), excellent company and a lively after-meal discussion.

When I got home, I came in and got my camera. Whenever I go to town, I’m amazed all over again at the destruction the April 27, 2011, tornadoes left behind. I’ve been intending to do this, anyway, so I drove down the road and took these pictures.

April 2011

April 2011

April 2011

April 2011

This house is being rebuilt on the foundation of the house that was destroyed.


April 2011

For months, you couldn’t see this house because of all the trees that were thrown on top of it. Fortunately, no one was living there.


This is my reminder that the sun still shines even if I can’t see it.

Back of the Clouds

I clocked the distance from the farthest point to my house and it is less than .3 mile. That is on the road. As the crow flies, it is probably half that. It’s still incredible that something that powerful could come that close and I didn’t even know it.

Sometime today, it hit me that yesterday would have been my 25th anniversary if I’d kept working at the hospital. Praise the Lord, I didn’t need that milestone!

Well, the excitement of the week is over and I’m glad. If I need excitement, I can take up crocheting.

4 Responses to My Week: Excitement Overload

  1. Mary Jane March 4, 2012 at 8:33 am #

    All too close for comfort…again!

    • Tommie March 4, 2012 at 8:39 am #

      You got that right! Next time, I’d rather have a blizzard.

  2. Genese March 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

    Twice Friday the intercom blasted “Code Black. Tornado Warning.” Our very efficient staff had all the residents moved out of their rooms and into the central hallways in less than 5 minutes. My bed was near an electrical outlet so I asked if my computer could be plugged into it. I tracked the storms via Channel9. The worst activity seemed to be on the Plateau near my mother and on Walden’s Ridge. I’m thankful no one nearby was injured.

    • Tommie March 4, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

      The intercom DOES blast, doesn’t it? The volume is louder at the nursing home than it is in the hospital. I tried Zoom Radar on NewsChannel9 but it must’ve had a lot of traffic because it didn’t work for me. Wunderground is my disaster warning system of choice. Glad we all came through it okay!

Leave a Reply to Tommie Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.