My Week: Speculation and an Arrest

The little town where I work has been abuzz about the murders and who could have done such a terrible deed. Listening to all the speculation, everyone seemed to come to the same conclusion. However, the authorities still weren’t talking.

Life does go on even after such a tragic event. On Sunday, I was pretty much left to my own devices. DD and merm were away on a camping trip so there was no phone call. No visit. Time to DIY around the house.

Where the roof had leaked are some pretty major discolorations on the ceiling. My cousin-neighbor had brought me some KILZ and gave me a stirring stick and a brush. I put a raggedy towel on the floor and tried to go to work. I already had a headache but that’s par for the course these days. I finished maybe a foot when I got concerned about all the little knobby things falling off the ceiling. Talking to my neighbor, she said it was no big deal if some of it got into the can. My head couldn’t take any more of the looking up, though, so I decided I’ll do that job a little at a time. So far, that’s been it.

Next, I was going to Liquid Nail the countertop where my computer sits back to the wood. Cousin had also given me a gun with a tube of Liquid Nail. It had a real nail stuck in the end to keep it from drying out. I removed that and started pumping the handle. After almost giving myself a hernia, I gave up and got my tube of LN. I anointed the counter with it and stuck the top back on. It’s warped so, when I pushed on one part, another popped up. I tried the Blue Tape that’s supposed to hold anything and it kept popping off. I weighted it with books. I did everything but get up on it with hands and knees but nothing worked. By that time, my head was about to burst. I called it a day, ate supper, exercised and went to bed.

I’d talked to my Cousin during that last episode and she said she has some Formica that she’ll cover the counter with so that should be that. What’s on it is very cheap and not made to withstand any kind of heat.

Monday, it was back to the salt mines. Stories were flying around and it was hard to concentrate on work. Tuesday was the same way as was Wednesday. When Thursday came, there was NEWS. An arrest had been made. It was the daughter-in-law of the older victim. She was to be arraigned on Friday. It didn’t happen. The judge recused himself. He’d represented her as lawyer in previous cases so the arraignment will take place in the next county. When the article was published, that time had yet to be set. So…now the waiting begins.

And life went on.

Back to Tuesday. Last week, I was in the bank and was admiring the teller’s haircut. I asked her who did it. She told me and I made an appointment. We couldn’t both settle on a day and time until Tuesday afternoon. I got there about 4:05. She shampooed my hair, found out how I wanted it cut, cut it, blew it dry, styled it and had me all done and ready to go in about 15-20 minutes. All this time, she was asking me questions. “Where do you work?” “What do you do?” “Do you have any kids?” “Where do they live?” She’d barely let me answer until it was on to something else. It was like she was on fast forward. I’ll have to hand it to her, though. She gave me a good haircut and I was home before 6. (I lose an hour coming home.)

Last Sabbath, I looked down at my shoes and was horrified to see that the leather on the right one was beginning to crack. My very favorite dress shoes that I’ve been wearing for years ‘n’ years are wearing out. Surely I could find a pair that could replace them.

Much later, I started Googling. Seems Etienne Aigner is no longer in the shoe business. It’s all handbags. Well, shoot! I started searching eBay to see if I could find something. Yeah. There was a pair in my size that had a hole in the sole. I don’t think I needed THOSE. I went back to Google and searched for “Etienne Aigner black pumps size 6”. Well, whaddya know! I found a pair that looked almost brand new on Etsy. I’d casually looked at Etsy before but hadn’t ever thought I’d be buying something there. I asked the buyer for a picture of the soles and then decided that the uppers looked so good, the soles had to be the same. Clicking the mouse, I ordered them.


The seller emailed me and said that it might be early next week before they are mailed because of Hurricane Irene. I said that was fine. Hopefully, they’ll be here in time for me to wear them Sabbath.

It doesn’t look like we’ll get anything from Irene. We are getting desperate for rain. Everything is drying up and the grass is getting crunchy. Again.

The pastor’s wife had both the Sabbath School lesson and the sermon. She was a busy lady. She’s up to the task, though, and did a wonderful job. There was an altar call and many people went up. Since I was the only keyboard musician there, I had to play the organ. After the song was over (neither song in the bulletin was used), she prayed a long and heartfelt prayer. When it was over, I played the dismissal, then went into the closing song again. “Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior”. One of the attendees was very emotional and people gathered around. The crowd was small today because of other things going on so I’d thought once through would see everyone out the door. That wasn’t to be. I played it over and over softly, probably six or eight times. Finally, people started getting up and going out. I shut the organ down and came home.

I Skyped with merm a little this afternoon. My mic wasn’t working and I wasn’t getting any sound but, with some coaching, that was rectified. DD is away on a trip so I guess we won’t talk tomorrow, either.

I’d been pestering my neighbor about trying one of my oatmeal patties (aka Super Duper Gut Bombs) so I took her one today. She’d grown up in a household were such were served so it wasn’t altogether strange. She’s had dental work done and her mouth is still somewhat sore but she bravely took a bite. “Not bad.” Then she took another. “Pretty good.” I thought she was just being nice until she took another and another. She gave a bite to their houseguest and he really liked it. “Have that at breakfast with some eggs and potatoes—that would be GOOD!”

The prison ministries pastor’s wife (that’s a mouthful) sent me the picture of the four of us. It wouldn’t show up on the Chapter 2 page so it has its own.

Well, that’s been my week. I know that people are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty but, this time, it looks as though law enforcement has made a breakthrough.

6 Responses to My Week: Speculation and an Arrest

  1. Lila August 27, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

    I imagine your visit to the prison meant a lot to your friend, and obviously brought back a lot of memories.

    • Tommie August 28, 2011 at 7:33 am #

      Yes, we talked and laughed about our all going out together to eat and the days we were in Panama City. We’d flown all over the country in the same plane. At that time, he took up a lot more space than he does now. He doesn’t get a lot of visitors.

  2. Lila September 1, 2011 at 8:08 am #

    By the way, congratulations on the shoes! A really great find. I know how hard it is to find shoes that fit.

    • Tommie September 1, 2011 at 8:10 am #

      They haven’t gotten here yet. I’m hoping that left one isn’t as stretched as it looks in the picture.

  3. Lila September 2, 2011 at 8:09 am #

    I just saw your picture of Lisa and family, “First Attempt” and “Second Try,” then A.J. and at the computer and her and P. at the restaurant. Oh, the changes that time does bring!

    • Tommie September 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm #

      This is true. There’s a lot of sadness. More than enough to go around.

Leave a Reply to Lila Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.