My Week: Going Through the Change

Naw. Not that. I did that years ago. There have been lots of changes in the past week from the weather (a week ago today I had on shorts and a T-shirt—today it’s back to sweats and thick socks) to a disaster at Wally World to the new employee starting training. There were other things, too, but I’ll hit them when I get there.

DD and I had our weekly visit before I went shopping. As a result, I got started later than I wanted to but it was nice to get caught up on the news.

I stopped at the produce place and got what few bananas they had that weren’t glow in the dark green and my every other week box of oranges. Then I proceeded on to Wally World. The first order of business was to get my hair cut. It had been six weeks to the day and the other ‘cut was the first I’d had in years I didn’t have to trim up in one way or another. The same person was working and I managed to snare her before she got started on someone else. Once again, she did it the way I wanted.

There wasn’t any romaine to be had that was worth having but that was okay. I still had some left and could get more at the Pig if I needed to. I was moseying along picking out this and that when the girl in the frozen food section dashed up with an anxious look on her face. She grabbed my attention and said, “They are discontinuing the frozen wild blueberries! All of them are marked down to $8 a bag.” She steered me to the display where they were, in fact, marked down. She went on about her duties and I flung 10 bags into my cart. There were three bags I couldn’t reach so I left them. When I went back by where she was, I thanked her for the tip and started on. She asked, “Did you get them all?” No, I couldn’t reach the others. She’s taller than I am so she took me back over and got them for me, too. “Will you have room for all these in your freezer?” I then explained that my neighbor has an extra freezer that she has told me I could stow stuff in and that’s where they would go. My bill was much higher than usual but I won’t have to buy blueberries for a while. Hopefully, the management will get smart and get them back again before I run out.

Getting home, I went over to the neighbors’ house and told them I’d decided to take them up on their offer. Looking quizzical, they neither one knew what I was talking about. When I told them, they both looked relieved. I can’t imagine what they might have been thinking. Twelve bags are in the freezer plus I brought one into the house. I have yet to open it because I had most of a bag left. I’m gonna email the main office—again—and try to get them to see the light—again.

Monday, it was back to getting up at 4:45 and readying myself for work. The new employee finished her online training and we started her on the switchboard. That’s the least intimidating though one of the nurses was aghast, saying she HATES to answer the phone. Guess it’s a good thing SHE doesn’t have to.

The last person I hired was gone in three days so it’s been a relief that this one is still there after two grueling weeks. She must not be afraid of a challenge because she was challenged every day.

Now to more personal things. My windshield wipers have been driving me batty. I got them at AutoZone and when they were a month old, they started in. SQUEAK SQUEAK. SQUEAK SQUEAK. SQUEAK SQUEAK. I had to turn the radio ‘way up to be able to hear over the noise. I had posted on Facebook and one of my friends advised me to get new ones. Another said Rain X wipers are the best. So…Amazon to the rescue again. I had done some research and settled on Rain X Latitude. It was supposed to rain Wednesday so I was hoping they would get in before it started. They did. Then I couldn’t get the old ones off. One of my friends coerced a maintenance man into rescuing me and I have had quiet wipers ever since. It doesn’t take much to thrill me and I’m thrilled.

Church this morning was excellent. The pastor told about how he’d met his wife and their courtship. He wove another story in with it and then brought it all around to a spiritual conclusion.

A couple of strong storms have come through. Total, they probably lasted something like 10 minutes. The last clap of thunder scared Twinkle out of a couple of her lives. I’ve never seen her move so fast.

My Wordscraper opponent isn’t about to let me get ahead. It’s impossible to beat her when she starts first and makes umpteen zillion on the first word.

I still have to containerize my fava beans and then I’m going to BED.

8 Responses to My Week: Going Through the Change

  1. Lila March 26, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

    By the time you use all those blueberries, you might have a photographic memory!

    • Tommie March 27, 2011 at 7:38 am #

      You reckon? I’ve been having a cup of blueberries almost every day for more than five years. I’ll be like the woman in
      The Snake Pit. I’ll be able to “remember everything that happened and lots that never did.”

  2. Raw Michelle March 27, 2011 at 10:34 am #

    Nice grab! We stock up on the berries too when there’s a sale, cause they can get pricey.. Why are they discontinuing them!?

    • Tommie March 27, 2011 at 11:16 am #

      I don’t know for sure but I was probably the only one buying them. They didn’t have them with the other frozen fruit. The wild blueberries were put in with the ice cream novelties so a lot of people, no doubt, didn’t know they were there. The conventional ones (which were about the same price, regularly) were with the frozen fruit. As I said before, I’m gonna email and let them know how I feel.

  3. sasha@blyssfulhealth March 29, 2011 at 11:53 pm #

    Great stie. I just found it now. tons of great info here.

  4. Mary Jane March 30, 2011 at 10:16 am #

    What was the disaster? Sounds more like you hit the jackpot!

    • Tommie March 30, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

      It’s a temporary jackpot. When they’re gone, they’re gone. Nowhere else around here sells them. EarthFare is the closest and that’s far far away.

  5. erik March 31, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

    Great site !!
    Raw foods have changed my life I was suffering for many years, asthma ,allergies ,and just getting sick too often .
    I recently started sprouting and making my own kombucha I was a little scared at first thinking i didn’t have the time but it was super easy .
    my health has improved dramatically and i owe it all to my new healthy lifestyle . brew your own super tea for pennies a day not only is it cheaper . Its healthier ,store bought kombucha is pasteurized and has 10-20 grams of sugar . They were super helpful and walked me through the process

Leave a Reply to sasha@blyssfulhealth Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.