My Week: Setting the Record Straight

Well, I was being nice last week and not going into detail about what happened with my neighbor. I didn’t think it was anyone’s business so I beat around the bush. Some tales have been started that are patently untrue so I’m going to set the record straight tonight.

When I went to check on him, he was complaining of his head hurting. After I left the last time, I was in the house with the doors and windows closed. I can’t hear anything, almost, because the house is very tight. Unbeknown to me, he had taken a pain pill and then he went to get a bag of pellets for the stove. He planned to lie down after that. The top step leading from the kitchen door was covered with ice and when he hit that, down he went hitting his head first on the iron pipe railing and then on the concrete step itself.

He managed to get back into the house but with a dead phone, he didn’t know how to get my attention. Then he thought of the shotgun. He stood at the back door dressed in his sweat pants and socks and shot several rounds into the ground. When I heard the shots, I opened the door and looked out. He cocked the gun and it went off, shattering one of the two motion sensor lights.

I closed the door, put on my shoes and, taking a deep breath, I walked over to the house. By that time, he was in extreme pain and not talking—it wasn’t until much later that I found out he had fallen. That’s when I got him into his collectible football jersey and took him to the hospital. The story going around is that he was high on drugs (the test came back normal), standing in the back door “naked as a jaybird” and shooting holes in my roof. Truth be told, he had a head injury that kept him in the hospital for several days. To add insult to injury, literally, when he got to the trauma center, someone cut his clothes off and destroyed his Tennessee Oilers Eddie George jersey. I looked for one online and can’t find anything except Houston Oilers and Tennessee Titans. It was very rare and worth, he thought, $250. I’d say it was more in the $600 range.

I’ve been checking on him daily since he came home and he’s doing better. He’s still very sore from all the bumps and bruises he got but, thankfully, he’ll live.

And now to my week. I went to the business meeting as planned, then on to town where I only saw one of the produce guys. He was the new one but he found some fresh romaine so he’s a keeper. Another plus for the trip was that Wally World has frozen wild blueberries again. I’d emailed the “contact us” on the web site and would ask about getting them back every time I had a chance.

I picked up my box of oranges and they have to be some of the seediest ones I’ve ever had. I’ve given up on trying to save the pulp. They have a good flavor so all is not lost.

DD and merm are taking a photography class and were on an all day outing so we didn’t get our visit in. This evening, I found out there’s another one tomorrow so catching up will be on hold again. However, we’ve done a lot of chatting on gmail so it isn’t like we’re not in touch.

The week hummed along until Wednesday. That’s when one of the registrars turned in a request for days off for “testing”. She was being rather coy about it but finally said it was testing for a job. I wasn’t surprised. I knew it was a matter of time but it didn’t make the news any easier to swallow.

Next morning, I went in to find an envelope taped to my monitor. It was a letter of resignation from another of the registrars. She isn’t going to another job, though. She’s retiring. She’s younger than I am and she is retiring. Life ain’t fair. So…now comes the hard part. I hate having to hire someone and I wondered if it would be wrong to pray for the other one not to get the job. My sister said she would pray that the Lord’s will be done. Well, I hope it’s His will for her to stay. All I can do is leave it in His hands.

Since then, it’s been planning the retirement party. We didn’t even try to keep it a secret. The retiree has been involved since the word “go”. Maybe she can give us some ideas for a gift, too. Other than handcuffs and shackles.

I was in bed shortly after 9 last night. I dreamed I was eating battered fried mushrooms and when I looked in the mirror, I had about three chins. It was a relief to see that my face was the same size when I got up as when I went to bed.

This morning, it was Sabbath School and church. I’ve had my full complement of food today and did 30 minutes’ worth of balance routines with the Wii. My “age” today was 37. I weighed Twinkle and she wasn’t too happy about it.

The only letter I have left on one of the Wordscraper games is a “Q” and there was nowhere I could play it so, for the second time ever, I’ve had to pass my turn. On the other one, I’m ahead but that could change in a heartbeat.

I still have to put fava beans to soak and do some steps with Walk It Out! so I’d better get to it.

2 Responses to My Week: Setting the Record Straight

  1. Mary Jane January 30, 2011 at 10:56 am #

    Got a kick out of your dream and all those chins! Glad it isn’t true!!

    • Tommie January 30, 2011 at 10:59 am #

      Me, too. I had a fully grown face as our nephew would have said.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.