My Week: Recovery

Monday evening
I don’t know what made the difference but I had a lot more energy this afternoon. Maybe it was because I didn’t work at the hospital today. When I come home from work, I’m pretty much tied up in knots and stress can be exhausting. At any rate, I told about my gardening activities here. If you’re wondering where Sunday and the rest of Monday are, they’re here. Maybe I can get back to my regular schedule next Sunday.

Tomorrow is when I’m planning to go back to work. I don’t want to but I can’t stay home forever. There are things I need to get done and I can’t do them here. It’s the very fortunate people who can make a living by telecommuting (like DD). I would appreciate being able to do that but I have a hands on job.

Our list of patients had grown while I was gone. Maybe I should be out more. I never did hear Managed Care called. It’s mandatory for me to be there though sometimes I miss the page. Where I am, I can’t hear it go out over the intercom and the girls sometimes fail to tell me. Oh, well. If I missed it, I missed it.

My neck and back were better today but not well. There were times I had to put my head down on my desk because it felt like it was too heavy for the rest of my body. I managed to stay for the full shift but it wasn’t easy.

I found out there was no Managed Care yesterday. We had it today. I didn’t have much to contribute but I signed the attendance sheet. I had some things to look up later and report back so I guess it wasn’t a complete loss.

Department head meeting wasn’t too long after that. It was more of the same. Volumes aren’t where they should be. Hopefully, things will pick up soon.

On top of all this, I was the bank/post office person. I’d failed to take the giveaway book to mail yesterday so I did that today. When I’d notified the winner, I was surprised to find out it’s someone I know well. She was one of DD’s teachers in grade school! That was a nice surprise!

One of the ladies from another department was telling me about eating a mango that “had a good flavor but it was very stringy.” I took her a couple of Ataulfos today and she said she and the others in the office ate both of them at lunch. I told her I’d eaten three by myself the day before.

Neck and back still sore but improving. I’ve been getting lots of advice on Facebook about where to go and who to see but I think it will be just a matter of healing now. I’ve been using the shower massage on them every morning. My exercise has been cut to a minimum. I do the first part of BodyFlex but not the section with the Gym Bar.

My neighbor came over this afternoon and measured for Twinkle’s enclosure. It will be 18″ out from the window, about 4′ across and 6.5′ tall. I’m hoping this won’t be a bust, too. All she’s going to charge me for are the materials. She said it shouldn’t cost much.

I mentioned the bathroom screen was broken and asked her if she could fix it. She went around and got it and it was a real mess. I figure she will have to get materials for it so I guess the window will have to be mostly shut until it’s done.

DD and I hadn’t had our visit this week so I called her and talked to merm until she got to the phone. Our conversation lasted for almost an hour and a half. It was 6:30 at their house when we hung up—9:30 here.

My neighbor posted a message last night on my Facebook wall that she’d fixed the screen. I don’t know how I missed it but I didn’t see it until this morning. When I went and looked, I was amazed! You would have thought nothing was ever wrong with it. I asked how much I owed and she said nothing. She’d stapled the screen on a wooden frame and painted it. Now the window is OPEN. And Twinkle can’t get out. When I asked when she fixed it, it was while DD and I were on the phone last night.

The tree by my new driveway is in full bloom. I just had to stop and take its picture.

Tree In Front of the Deck

Closeup of Blooms

My owie is getting better and better though sometimes I can move wrong and still have a twinge. I’ll certainly appreciate feeling good when I really do.

I worked on the dreaded schedule most of the day. I’ll be so glad when no one in the office has jury duty. I have to make two schedules for the same time period to allow for a person to be off if she has to appear. Then, if she’s chosen, that’s another thing. So far, so good. Hope it stays that way.

I’ve invested in a couple of watermelons and a cantaloupe to celebrate the holiday weekend. I’m banking on their being good.

It rained buckets today. I was hoping it had rained here, too, but I hadn’t counted on hail. That’s got to be what it was. It looked like my plants has been attacked by a weedeater gone wild. Fortunately, there wasn’t any damage they can’t recover from but I would have preferred none at all. The tree that’s in bloom suffered, too. Glad I got those pictures yesterday. There was 1.25″ in the rain gauge from that shower/downpour.

Maybe it’s because it’s Sabbath that I’m so dragged out this evening. I know I can rest without pressure to be DOING something. I’m going to bed early tonight. Happy Sabbath, everyone!

Saturday night
Last night, lights were out at 9 o’clock. Except for bathroom breaks, I slept until 6:30. I got up, did my morning routine including reading the “further study” in the Sabbath School lesson. Then I exercised more than I had for over a week. After breakfast, I went to bed and slept for another couple of hours.

I’ve spent a lot of time on the deck today. It’s been very pleasant. I ate half of one of the watermelons while I was out there. It was decent but I’m looking forward to better. While I was out there, I enjoyed watching the wren flying back and forth to the nest in the bougainvillea (it must have babies), a hummingbird feeding, a lizard that was scurrying around here and there, various insects including a dragonfly that perched on the arm of the camp chair I was sitting in. It stayed there for a LONG time.

Yesterday, I had some romaine rollups with guacamole so I made a batch of Matt’s Dip today. I used green onions, dill and basil straight from the garden. There’s still quite a bit of basil left that I froze last year.

I hadn’t been around to the bathroom window to see how the screen looks from the outside so I went. There was a rabbit not more than six feet from me before it hopped into the woods. The screen is great! I believe it’s Twinkle-proof, too. I had to get my camera when I saw this. At first, I thought it was a dead leaf. There’s a baby snail in the picture, too.

Butterfly and Snail

When I was getting ready to upload the pictures, I discovered that the one of the Topsy Turvy went from this

Topsy Turvy Tomatoes

to this:

Modern Art

I’m glad I already had it uploaded!

My sister was back in the hospital and it was said she had pneumonia. My niece gave me the hospital number yesterday and I’d planned to call but never got around to it (that elusive Round Tuit strikes again). When I called this afternoon, it was only to find she had been transferred back to the skilled nursing facility on Thursday. I called there but since I’m not on the list, I couldn’t really get any information about her condition other than “she’s doing fine”. I assured the fellow I was talking to that I’m well acquainted with HIPAA but it is frustrating that I’m all the way in Tennessee and can’t find out anything. He was very understanding and said he could write down a message from me and give it to her. I told him what to say and closed it with our special little anagram. My niece uses it occasionally but it’s more “our” thing. Then he said he would have her call my voice mail and leave a message if she can call long distance.

I chatted with DD on gmail and told her what I’d learned and she said she probably isn’t on the list, either. The man had told me I could talk to my brother-in-law about adding me but he can’t hear well on the phone so I feel that’s a lost cause.

News from the Wordscraper World is that my opponent is almost assured of a win this time. The point spread is too far apart for me to make a comeback. I missed an opportunity that put her squarely in the lead and sunk my chances. Guess she thinks it’s about time!

It’s time to post this and there’s no word from my sister. At least she’s where she can get good care.

Until next week!

4 Responses to My Week: Recovery

  1. Lila May 29, 2010 at 9:53 pm #

    Tommie, that tree has gorgeous blooms! Do you know what kind it is?

    • Tommie May 30, 2010 at 6:46 pm #

      Sorry, Lila. I have no idea. I’ve searched the Internet and can find nothing. The flowers are about the size (if not smaller than) a bluet. It’s an evergreen. It doesn’t lose its leaves in the winter. I’ve searched under tree tiny white blossoms evergreen and came up empty.

  2. Monica June 14, 2010 at 5:06 am #

    I’m trying to catch up with reading your blog. I love reading it. Can’t wait to see you and Shari this Friday!

  3. Tommie June 19, 2010 at 11:13 am #

    Friday is history now and it was fun! Good company and good food! Can’t beat that with a stick!

Leave a Reply to Tommie Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.