The Raw Vegan: Part CXV, Ferrying Forth

There was so much to see and so much to do, it was impossible to get it all into the span of a week but try, we did. One whole day was taken to go to Bainbridge Island via ferry and from there to Port Townsend, a quaint little town with a rich history. Much of this post will be pictures as the last few have been. The difference will be that this one will have even more. If you are on dialup, I apologize in advance.

As you might have already guessed, I would take pictures of anything that didn’t move and attempted to photograph the moving objects. This scene had both—stationary rocks and moving water.

I'd take a picture of anything

We were waiting for the ferry to dock so we could get aboard.

The Ferry Approacheth



The ferries I was used to in Tennessee didn’t combine cars and foot traffic so this was a new experience for me. After we inched our way on, the car was lined up with many others.

Headed for the ferry

We were parked in the bowels of the ferry. There wasn’t much to see there except for other cars so we went up the stairs to the passenger lounge

Bored Passengers

past the arcade

Ferry Arcade

and proceeded to the deck.

Braving the wind on the ferry

I hadn’t taken a coat with me on my trip so my sister loaned me a short winter jacket. Surely I wouldn’t need that, I thought, but I was glad to have it once we got outside. The wind was whipping and I wondered how my sister was warm enough with the thin knit jacket she had on but she had her love to keep her warm.

A mother and her child were enjoying the sunshine. They must’ve been in a sheltered spot because they were much more lightly dressed than I was and I was just short of freezing.

Mother and child enjoying the sun

They weren’t the only ones out to get some fresh air and rays. There was a lone sailboat, as well.

Sailboat (DUH!)

Since we were approaching the dock on Bainbridge Island we made our way back to the car and inched our way off the ferry.

We didn’t do any sightseeing on the island, but there was a picture I wanted and didn’t get. It was two trolls—a male and a female. The male’s eye was a hubcap. I understand there are trolls here and there in the area but these were the only ones I saw and we went by too quickly for me to make a photo of them.

Next stop was Port Townsend. It’s a quaint settlement with lots of interesting buildings and shops. One that caught my eye right away was a frame church that looked as if it could be blown off the side of the hill by a good stiff wind. I doubt any services were held there. It seemed it would be a dangerous place to meet.

On a Slippery Slope

This house had a historical background but I have no idea what it is now.

House with Cupola

Then there was the one with the stately figures in the windows.


My brother-in-law almost got past this mailbox before I could snap the shutter but my sister yelled at him to back up. He did and I got my picture.

"You've Got Mail?"

He drove past the local Seventh-day Adventist Church because he knew I would be interested. While he patiently waited, I got a picture of it, too.

Local Seventh-day Adventist Church

There are other pictures of houses in my June 2001 set on Flickr. I won’t post them all here.

One last picture I took when we were riding around was one of a monkey puzzle tree. It was amazing. I’d never seen anything like it.

Monkey Puzzle Tree

We headed from there to town. I was glad I’d worn comfortable shoes because we toured the place on foot.

Walking the streets of Port Townsend

I found my man. I figured he wouldn’t eat anything or talk back. Perfect!

My Man

We browsed in the shops

"Look at that!"

and saw lots of interesting things like this soapstone figure

Soapstone Figure

plus an early electric sewing machine for only $550. The card said it ran perfectly but it needed a new light bulb.

Early Sewing Machine

I let them keep it.

We went to a kitchenware store where my sister paid for a stick blender I fell in love with. I didn’t have my credit card with me and hadn’t brought enough cash. The merchant agreed to ship it to me for a reasonable fee and I promised to pay my sister back.

The day was finished up with a meal at a Thai restaurant where I had some doubly delicious coconut ice cream. At that time, I had no idea I would someday perfect its raw counterpart.

Making our way back to the ferry, we were tired but full and happy. As late in the afternoon as it was, we decided to forego the deck and watch our progress from the lounge.

Inside the Ferry

Getting back to the house, I pulled my shoes off my aching feet and let out a sigh of relief. It had been a glorious day, full of wonderful sights but I was glad to be where I could relax. There was always tomorrow.

6 Responses to The Raw Vegan: Part CXV, Ferrying Forth

  1. Lila April 7, 2010 at 9:03 pm #

    I’m wondering what a stick blender is.

    • Tommie April 7, 2010 at 9:07 pm #

      It’s aka an immersion blender.

  2. Mary Jane April 8, 2010 at 9:25 pm #

    Enjoyed the pictures. Amazed at how thin the brother-in-law was!

    • Tommie April 8, 2010 at 9:41 pm #

      He was right trim. Probably still is.

  3. Fruitllop April 10, 2010 at 7:45 pm #

    Ah, you had me going here! I thought you had come out and I had missed you! XOXO

    • Tommie April 11, 2010 at 3:41 pm #

      Nope. This was back in 2001, not 2010. I hope to get out that way one of these days, though.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.