My Week: Apologies to the Pig

To being with, I’ll tell you what happened last night. I was so proud of myself. I turned the light off at 9:33 PM EDT. Then I remembered something I needed to do and got up and took care of it. When I got back into bed, I remembered something else. Got up. Took care of IT and got back into bed. By that time, it was around 9:45. Still okay. I settled down for a long summer’s nap when someone kicked something outside and I was wide awake. I don’t know where they were but it sounded like they were close to my window. That was when it occurred to me that I hadn’t plugged my Magic Jack in so…I did that. Plus I rebooted my computer so I’d have the best reception possible should I have to use the phone. Okay. Back to bed. It was after 10. I couldn’t sleep. I got up at 10:30 and took a melatonin and got on the ‘puter. I fooled around until, when I went to bed that time, it was 12 midnight straight up. By 1:30 AM, I drifted off and, besides bathroom breaks, I slept until well after 8 o’clock. Which brings us to

When I woke, it was to the sound of rain. I pulled on my clothes, rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and went out to turn off the line to the soaker hose. My neighbor was out there and she said she’d roll the hose up. She showed me where the hose she’d connected to the reel was leaking. She’d swapped it out for the one I’d given her and said she’d work on it some more today. It was leaking yesterday but she didn’t want to work on one of my projects on Sabbath. I appreciated that.

I did better at eating today. Once again, I’d complained to DD last Sunday that I don’t do well at all when I’m home. At work, I have my food pretty much prepared and I eat my way through the day. Here, there are large gaps and I don’t get enough calories.

Today was the day to pull up the tomato plants but that’s a Thursday post.

In the midst of the aforementioned activity, DD called and left voice mail for me to call her back. I did and we caught up on each other’s activities.

I’m in no mood to do a Sunday post. You’re spared.

Soon as I got in, I heard the words, “As soon as you put your things down” (I come in to work every day pretty much laden. I need a pack mule sometimes.) and I knew I was in for it the rest of the day.

There was no measurable rainfall so I got out and sunned for a few minutes.

My newly raw friend wanted some more agave nectar. She likes the dark much better than the light and so do I. I had Amazon go ahead and send me what I have on subscription. It came last Tuesday. Pretty quick since I’d updated it on Sunday. Anyway, I went ahead and took her both bottles. She has several people to feed and I just have me. You would have thought I took her a gold nugget.

She gave me the books back that I had loaned her even though she hadn’t finished them yet. I told her to keep 80/10/10 and I’d loan The Raw Secrets to the other lady in the church who is interested. When they both finish, they can swap.

Another busy day. I was well on my way toward home when I realized it was when the produce man would be in town. There wasn’t anything I definitely needed so I didn’t go back. I don’t know how much longer he’ll keep it up. When the local gardens start coming in, he stays away until fall.

It was back to the luscious little cherry tomatoes. I don’t know what the grower does, but they are sweet and tasty.

I went in to The Pig and lo! There was a whole lineup of organic greens. Much more variety than there was before and the price had dropped from $3.99 to $3.49. I complimented the manager and he was pleased. I got some baby spinach, arugula and romaine hearts. I hope lots of people buy so he’ll be encouraged to keep the organic section stocked. And here I had no faith in anyone but the produce person who quit.

Another rainy day. My watermelons and cucumbers love it.

I got some corn from the roadside stand not far from home and it is wonderful! Fully as good as what I got at the produce place on the other side of the mountain.

My “new” Hawaiian shirt came. It’s beautiful! I’ll have to get someone to take a picture tomorrow. One of my friends from church said she’d put on one of her husband’s shirts and come have hers made with me.

I bragged on the corn to my co-workers and two of them gave me money for a dozen each plus one wanted green beans. Maybe he’ll give me a commission? I doubt it. I stopped by and told him I’d come over in the morning to pick the garden truck up because I don’t have fridge room. He said he’d have it ready by 8:30. I’ll have to get a move on.

Didn’t take any garden pictures today. My post is here.

Work was wild today. The day started out rainy but it stopped mid-morning. No cherry tomatoes today. The one who brings them figured we’d be foundered on them. Not so! I walked to the greenhouses at the end of the street where the hospital is (that’s where my raw food friend lives) and got some from them. She was eating gazpacho a friend had made for her and pronounced it delicious. I should have asked for a bite but I didn’t. I did ask her to write down the recipe and give it to me at church and she said she would.

When I got back to the hospital, some Main Campus employees were setting up for a promotion of the new gold standard the hospital is working toward. They were discussing where to find some good produce and I was dubbed the “Veggie Lady” and credited with knowing where it is. I gave them directions to the greenhouses and showed them the tomatoes I got for $1. They were justifiably impressed.

The main booth with giveaways and refreshments was set up in the lobby and it was NOISY. I went out and visited some of the other booths. Respiratory had one for our hospital and I had my O2 sat tested. I came in at 97% on room air. Not bad for an old lady.

I got away from work a little late and went to town to see if the produce man was there. I either missed him or he never showed up. I hope he hasn’t given up already but he may have. The organic section was still packed. I got two bags of spinach marked down to $1.29 each but the rest was still full price and today was the expiration date. I saw one of my friends who used to work at the hospital and she told me she reads my blog. However, when I mentioned something I’d written, she had to admit she hadn’t read that post yet.

On top of the mountain, I stopped to get some corn and it’s all gone! The lady of the house said she has some nubbins she’ll freeze in the morning but that’s it for this year. Boo! Hiss!! Her husband had sold all he had to sell plus 40 dozen his brother brought over. If the raccoons had left it alone, it would have been more for the humans. I still have four ears but it will be sad when they’re eaten.

Saturday night
I woke in the early early this morning and couldn’t get back to sleep. Finally, I got up and took a melatonin and drifted off. I’ve been sleepy ever since. I hate it when I don’t get the sleep I need. On top of that, the man teaching the Sabbath School lesson has a very soothing voice and I was having a hard time keeping my eyes open. The only thing that saved me was the man with a strident tone would make me go “WHOA!” and wake me up. He had the church service, too, and showed his pictures he’d taken on a mission trip to Cuba. It was interesting.

On my way to the bathroom, I slipped The Raw Secrets to the lady who wants to read it. I could have sworn one of the other members came and told me she’s interested in eating raw food. That was during the welcome time when the pianist and I play “The Family of God” over and over again and I was concentrating on the music. She may have said, “I want to tell you God is good.” Who knows? I guess she does.

There were a couple of cucumbers I picked and I gave one to my neighbor and kept one for my salad. I also got some cilantro for some salsa, too.

Might as well list my food for the day. Before I went to church, I had OJ with mango, peaches, strawberries and pineapple (1.5 quarts). When I got home, I had a quart of green smoothie (blueberries, bananas, spinach and enough water to blend). Later, I had a good-sized bowl of watermelon and followed that with a couple of really good peaches I’d gotten on Thursday. Two more ears of corn met their fate in Creamed Corn with Basil. I had a huge salad. I followed that with over a quart of salsa with half an avocado. Then I had a small Bubbies pickle. I’m not starving. Oh, I put a little green tomato in the salsa and wished I hadn’t. It would have been better without it. I ate all but the last few bites and let the compost bin have the rest.

Speaking of compost, when I was at DS1’s house for my granddaughter’s birthday, my son informed me that I have more food scraps to throw away in a day than they have in a month. That’s a sad commentary. One thing’s sure and two things certain, though. They have more can garbage in a day than I ever will again—except for Twinkle’s treats and that’s a tiny can a week.

4 Responses to My Week: Apologies to the Pig

  1. Carol August 2, 2009 at 1:00 pm #

    First time visit. I enjoyed it. Will come again.

    • Tommie August 2, 2009 at 1:46 pm #

      Thanks, Carol! Come back any time! The second giveaway begins tonight, so don’t miss out. 😀

  2. Shari August 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm #

    Was wondering where and how the Pig would fit into the story. First I thought it was what was outside your window! Then I thought it was going to show up the next day in your yard (someone dumped it off, like kitties). But it turned out to be a market. We used to have Piggly Wiggly around here!


  3. Tommie August 3, 2009 at 6:44 am #

    It would be my luck to have a piglet show up…Yes, it’s Piggly Wiggly. We had one years ago and it closed and was reopened as IGA. Then THAT closed and was reincarnated as Piggly Wiggly again. They seem to have a good business but I need lots of people to buy their organic so it won’t disappear.

Leave a Reply to Tommie Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.