A Slow Start

Today is when I’m supposed to have a post about some deep subject or a raw food recipe but I’m suffering from a king-sized block. I have no idea what to write about so I won’t write anything. Except for a brief summary of my day.

It’s been a quiet one in this part of Tennessee. I did laundry, some cleaning of the premises, and I’ve worked on the kitchen.

I’m planning to have my annual lab work tomorrow so I’m currently fasting. I haven’t fasted all day, just part. It will be interesting to see if anything has changed since last December.

“The Sound of Music” is on. I’m not watching it but listening to it. I’ve seen it so many times, I could run it in my head. I’ll let it continue as I go to bed.

I had a busy day in comparison with yesterday. I got my blood drawn so I couldn’t have anything until that was done. On top of everything else, I was the bank/mail person. The middle of town has been torn up in preparation for a beautification project and I had to wind all over to get where I needed to go. Breakfast turned into lunch.

I bought 12 lubs of bananas in preparation for being home the day I usually get more.

It was relatively quiet at the hospital today. Out of duty, I stayed until 4 o’clock. Earlier, I had sat IN THE SUN (!!) for 15 minutes. It was heavenly.

I did have one aggravation. Last time I was at Goodwill, I had bought some brand new still in the package cable knit tights. They were a sage green and perfect with my Goodwill green pants and Goodwill green top. I was thinking about trying to find some more when I went to the bathroom and discovered I hadn’t pulled them up the last time I’ve visited. The next time I went, the same thing happened. It finally hit me (I’m slow) that the top had stretched out and they were crawling down. They aren’t good for anything except maybe tying up tomato plants when summer gets here. Even though they didn’t cost much, for one wearing it makes them expensive. Caveat emptor, for sure.

Today more than made up for yesterday. It was busy all day long which was magnified by the fact that I only had one registrar for most of the day.

Late morning, my doctor’s nurse called and said the good man wanted to talk to me about my lab work. Bad sign! I’ll blog about that tomorrow night so I won’t go into it here.

I left half an hour early and went to get my groceries. What a zoo! The stores were packed (except for the produce place) with people buying their alcohol and snacks plus ham hocks and collard greens for the New Year. One man commented he hadn’t seen any black-eyed peas in any of the carts. I asked for fresh ones two places but struck out.

Goodwill was closing early so I was saved as far as spending a lot of money. I ended up with three tops.

By the time I got home, I had the energy to unload everything but my box of oranges. They’ll have to wait until morning. And no, I’m not staying up to watch the New Year come in.

Happy New Year! I’ve spent a lot of the day just being. I’ve been eating and I watched part of the Rose Parade. I’ve scanned my lab work results, uploaded, and blogged. Oh, I washed my “new” tops, too.

Today was DS2’s 42nd birthday. I called to wish him a happy one and he surprised me by having me walk him through getting on the computer so he could get his Jacquie Lawson birthday card and his gift certificate from Bass Pro Shops. Will wonders never cease?

I had forgotten to get the tops out of the washer so I had to get up after I’d gone to bed and take care of them. And I didn’t want to!

The feeling of well-being I had yesterday was gone this morning. I was disappointed. Maybe it will come back when I’ve built my store of B-12 up.

Soon as I flipped on the TV this morning, the traffic reporter said there was black ice on the highway right at the end of my road. He couldn’t have been more specific even if he’d said, “a half mile from Tommie’s house.” I was cautious but by the time I got there, the salt truck had come out and taken care of it.

It was busy at work today but it seemed to come as soon as I was in the office by myself. I need an extra pair of hands sometimes. The phone rings, outpatients come to be registered and co-workers come to the window with questions. I lived through it.

On the way home, I stopped by Save A Lot to get some tomatoes and bananas and took a tour through Frozen Food Land just to see what they are currently offering. I’m SO GLAD I’m a raw vegan! It saves me from SO MUCH! that I don’t need. They have pirogies! I loved pirogies! and Stouffer’s Macaroni and Cheese! They also stock a veggie egg roll. I would have been all over that. I read the ingredients and the only one that is suspect is natural flavor and at one time, I wouldn’t have thought twice. It would have gone right in my cart. How times change! The only thing I found that might be of interest was frozen blueberries. They are barely cheaper than what I get at Wally World. They are closer.

I saw on FaceBook that DD and merm have been packing in earnest and painting so the man who was in the other apartment has moved out. When we talked Sunday, she didn’t know what his plans were. Sounds like she’s tired and sore. I went to gmail to chat a little but I guess she’s called it a night.

And I’m going to do the same. It’s going on 9 o’clock and I’m ready to fly up. Good night and Happy Sabbath!

Saturday Night
My world has changed. I’m not the only one. It’s happened for my whole family and a host of friends. When I got up this morning it was to voice mail from my sister. My brother-in-law was taken to the emergency room early this morning and didn’t make it.

Before I went to church, I tried to call my sister but got a busy signal. I called DS1 & 2 and DD. I got voice mail for DS2. I called my DIL’s cell phone and got voice mail there, too. It was getting late so I called the pianist and let her know I wouldn’t make it for song service. Then I called my sister again and this time I got through. She sounded good but she did tear up once. They had been married for a long, long time. I was their flower girl and I’ll be 65 next month.

We got together a number of years ago to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Here’s the happy couple with their then pastor. The arch is the very same one they stood in front of when they were wed.

The Happy Couple

Our mother played for me to sing that day.


I proved I could not only sing, I could cut cake and I looked very happy doing it. I was probably anticipating eating it which is evident from my size.

Me Cutting Cake

There were other phone calls today. My DIL called from North Carolina where she’s with her father who is in the hospital. DS2 called to make sure I was okay. They’d visited my sister and BIL just last weekend so it was doubly hard for him to hear the news. I called my sister in the Great Northwest and we consoled each other. We agreed that it hadn’t quite sunk in yet.

It’s going to be difficult to get used to the World Without Ted. As DS1 said, they don’t make them like that any more.

That’s been my week. Goodnight, all.

8 Responses to A Slow Start

  1. Melissa January 3, 2009 at 10:24 pm #

    I’m truly sorry, Tommie. Will be thinking of you and your family.

    • Tommie January 4, 2009 at 7:57 am #

      Thank you, Melissa. It’s nice to know there are people like you out there who care.

  2. Tom Brownsword January 4, 2009 at 10:46 am #

    Prayers of comfort and encouragement coming your way, Tommie. It’s never easy losing a loved one.

    Best regards,

    • Tommie January 4, 2009 at 12:47 pm #

      I appreciate it, Tom. Prayers are welcome. Please especially remember my sister.

  3. cathy January 4, 2009 at 12:09 pm #

    Tommie, I’m so sorry for your loss. So sad. I’ve been reading your blog for so long I feel like I know everyone. I’m sure there are a lot of others that feel the same way.

    • Tommie January 4, 2009 at 12:49 pm #

      I wish you could have known Ted in person. He was one in a million. Thanks, Cathy.

  4. Cassandra January 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm #

    Tommie, so sorry about your brother in law. *hugs*

    • Tommie January 5, 2009 at 5:50 am #

      It’s so good to hear from you, Cass! Thank you for leaving me a message. I checked out your blog. Love the pic of you and your family!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.