I got home sooner than I thought I would. I was back at the car and heading off the campus at 9:30. I’m getting ahead of myself.

When I got to the auditorium around 7, there was a person directing traffic away from the closest parking lot. The one he said for me to go to was full, too. Fortunately, I had worn comfortable shoes—heels but they are comfortable. I found a place about five miles from my destination. And my mother told me a million times not to exaggerate. The wind felt like it was coming off a glacier as I struck out across the campus.

I found the restroom when I got inside and took care of any interruptions ahead of time. I wasn’t supposed to be able to go in to find a seat until 7:15 but was motioned on earlier. The cast members were in full Israelitish garb and were acting as ushers and usherettes. One found me a seat and I settled in. It wasn’t long until a nice young man came and sat beside me (the seats were filling up fast) and we struck up a conversation. He’s from a small town in North Carolina and it turns out he’s familiar with the areas where my sisters live.

He is a junior communications major and has his life mapped out for several years after graduation, if he can graduate. It all hinges on money. That’s when I’d like to be independently wealthy so I could wave my magic checkbook and solve problems. However, God hasn’t given me unlimited wealth.

The performance was most impressive. It started out with the “Theme from Schindler’s List“, a haunting piece that was perfect to set the mood.

The cast was all in costume and there were some outstanding voices. Act I had Elijah declaring there would be no rain for three years. The prophets/prophetesses of Baal did a stylized dance that I could have never imagined. I’d always pictured it as being frenzied but it was very controlled. During the scene where Elijah prayed for God to show His power, “fire” came down from above and fire actually sprang up from the “altar”. It didn’t burn it up but it was mighty impressive.

During the intermission, I excused myself and went to stand in line for the bathroom. I got some tissue (I’d failed to take any from my stock in the car) in anticipation of hearing “my” song. By the time I got out of the bathroom, the lights were blinking. I made my way back to my seat and made myself comfortable. I shared my program with the young man.

The lights went down and it was time for the second act. I knew “my” song was getting close. A female figure in a white robe and gauzy iridescent headgear came out and sang “O Rest in the Lord”. The vocalist has a beautiful voice and I knew I would get emotional. I made good use of the tissue.

The rest was anti-climatic but, all in all, it was wonderful. I have a list of the coming events and I may show up for some of them, too.

I wrote down my web site address for the young man and told him he’d come in contact with one of the weirdest people in the world. He figures he’s weird, too, so I guess I’m okay. We shook hands and I left.

My umbrella was in the car and it had started misting. The glacier wind was still around and I walked as fast as I could to where I had parked. It was hard to wait for heat but I managed. Snow has been predicted for tonight. So far, it hasn’t gotten cold enough but who knows?

Good night and keep warm! (I know my Aussie friends will, anyway.)

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.