This was my week.

Another Saturday night has come and it’s time for a summary of the week that has passed into the ether.

Sunday was spent in the usual way. I didn’t get outside for any sunbathing. The morning slipped away before I knew what was happening. The afternoon was my shopping trip to town with a quick visit to Mother’s grave where I cleaned leaves and grass off the arrangement.

The young produce man in Wally World must’ve mistaken me for someone he’s either good friends with or is related to. When he saw me, he came over and hugged me. Now, that seems a little in the extreme for someone you see maybe twice a month. I dunno. It was strange.

I called my friend in the nursing home and asked what she wanted. I ended up picking out a birthday card for her daughter plus buying her some Triscuits and cream cheese.

DS1 and I had a long visit after I got home and unloaded the car. His 44th birthday is next Friday. I still don’t know if they will be around so I can go celebrate with him/them. DD and I had our weekly conversation.

Labor Day was supposed to bring some rain but it didn’t. I was disappointed because I wanted to fill my garbage can rain barrel. I brewed the stuff to fill the sprayer and made raw pizza. Laundry took up some of the time. I didn’t get a whole lot accomplished but I did manufacture some vitamin D for half an hour. Plus I made raw vegan pizza and took pictures of the process.

Tuesday was a very busy catching up on an extra day’s reports, etc. That afternoon there was an influx of outpatients when the evening girl was in the ER and all the daytime staff had left. It was well past my quitting time when I was able to leave.

Wednesday was supposed to be vision therapy day but I fooled around and didn’t have time to do it. According to the book, I’m supposed to be able to do it once a month after my brain has learned to see again but I feel like I need it more than that.

The other day, everyone was in a stew because the census at the hospital was dropping. One of the girls looked at me and said, “You don’t seem to be bothered by it.” I asked her what good would it do if I were? It wouldn’t accomplish anything. Prayer changes things. Worrying doesn’t. Worrying creates stress and stress can cause disease. I don’t need disease. I’ve been there, done that.

I got stuck at work again. It seems people want to come to be registered at 3:55 and I’m supposed to leave at 4. I’d been trying to eat my salad all afternoon. Finally, when I was able to get away, I took my salad to the car and finished it up. It was nice to sit there in the quiet and the heat and eat.

Thursday wasn’t quite as hectic. I thought I was going to be able to get out on time but at 3:55 (!) the phone rang and I was there for another 20 minutes.

I went to the Apple House and got some Golden Delicious apples to share with the others and ended up buying a box of tomatoes. I should have been patient. I did learn something. The man who helped me pack the tomatoes showed me the “trick” to fitting them in. He commented that he hadn’t been able to eat fried green tomatoes since he’d had his gallbladder removed. I told him I hadn’t had fried greens for more than three and a half years. He looked surprised. So am I. Before that, they were my summertime treat every year since I can remember

Since I am liable to get caught in the afternoon, I try to take my time off in the morning so I wasn’t in a rush on Friday to leave the house. Someone made a snide remark but that was okay. She’s hourly and I’m not so if she is there over her scheduled time she gets paid for it. THEN it turned out I was the post office/bank person so it worked out okay anyway.

I got to visit with my friend in the nursing home and saw the empty Triscuit box in the trash. I’d taken them to her on Tuesday and they were already gone!

One of the girls brought me some luscious homegrown tomatoes out of her husband’s garden. I don’t know what he does but his tomatoes are better than any other people grow (except for me 🙂 ). I’m getting enough to have several in my salads but I still can’t sit down to a big bowl of them.

It’s been hard to find good little cucumbers around here. I’d called the roadside market to see if they had any. They didn’t but the girl told me their watermelons had been marked down to $2. They still had four bins of them and are trying to make room for pumpkins. I got three and already had one so I’m stocked with melons. I’ll probably share at least one of them with the neighbors.

There were a couple of days I was able to get out on the patio in the sun. Yesterday, I went out about 9 because I knew it would probably be my only chance. One of the doctors went by and called out, “You’ll get skin cancer!” I called back, “At this hour of the day?? My body is making vitamin D!” I guess she doesn’t keep up with the news. It’s all about getting sun instead of staying out of it.

Last night convinced me I have to do something about the fleas. I hadn’t sprayed with the brewer’s yeast mixture and I was getting eaten alive after I went to bed. I got up and sprayed the living room, both bathrooms, my bedroom and the kitchen. Then I got into the tub and soaked. Little black dots appeared on the surface of the water. I scrubbed with Melaleuca Naturals shampoo and washed my whole body with it. I’ve been itchy today but not bitten. Yet.

I’d gone to bed around 9:30 but after all that, I couldn’t get to sleep. I got up at 11:55 and took a melatonin and went back to bed and off to dreamland. I wasn’t sure I’d feel like going to church.

Surprise! I was well-rested this morning. I was pulling out of the driveway with the rest of my OJ in a glass in the cup-holder at 10 am. I got to the church at 9:13 (I drive fast) and was at the organ on time. One of the elders was leaving to go pick up my friend from the nursing home when I got there. She’s trying to do better.

The pastor was encouraging people to come to prayer meeting. After church, he asked if I could play the organ on Wednesday nights and then the one organizing the coming week’s meeting asked me, too. I know it’s a conspiracy to get me to come but it’s nice they’re interested. It starts two hours after I get off work. I don’t know whether I’d go prepared to stay or put another 20 miles on my week’s total mileage. We shall see what we shall see.

It was overcast a lot of the day. I haven’t been outside for any length of time since yesterday. My OJ came in at over a quart. After church, I came home and started in eating. First, I had a green smoothie with a halfway decent mango, three bananas and half a container of spinach. It was GOOD! I had 1/3 watermelon left from Friday’s food. It wasn’t the best I’ve ever eaten but it filled up the hollow spot. I’m with Shari from the forum. I’m about up on watermelon. I’m looking forward to PERSIMMONS! I had a couple three four small Bubbies pickles (in my defense, they were small) and some of those homegrown maters. Then it was salad time with my usual (these days) lime juice dressing. What was unusual about my salad was half an avocado, cubed.

That’s been my week. The next one is a different matter. I have decided to ask my boss if I can take it off and try to get things righted and de-flea the house. This morning, I boiled some orange rinds and let them steep all day. I strained the brew and sprayed Twinkle (she sits still when I spray her now), the house, and me with it tonight. I’m grasping at straws. I need something at least semi-permanent.

To expedite things, I’ll be taking the week off from blogging and my forum, too. I have a good crew over there and I know they’ll do fine without me. So, good night and I’ll see you down the road!

PS: Forgot to report on Friday! A nice lady called from Robert Is Here to let me know they would be picking the last of the mango crop in anticipation of Ike the Hurricane. She asked if I would like for them to ship some to me. Well, yes! But how much? $136 a bushel? $84 for a half? Sorry, my budget won’t allow it but thanks for calling…

4 Responses to This was my week.

  1. Cindy (Raw Daughter) September 9, 2008 at 11:41 pm #

    Okay, I have to admit I didn’t read this yet. It’s so long! LOL! I was wondering if you have a feed for your blog? I want to add it to my reader so I can easily keep up with you.

  2. Tommie September 10, 2008 at 6:35 am #

    Yes, this was too long, Cindy! There is an RSS option under Meta for both entries and comments. Look at the bottom of the extreme right column. Opera makes it easy to subscribe to any site with RSS. There’s a button in the right end of the address bar. Click it and it will give you a window offering the option of subscribing.

  3. Fruitloop September 14, 2008 at 11:20 am #

    Yes, mango prices are so high. Too bad, because I love them so much. Oh well.


  4. Tommie September 14, 2008 at 11:25 am #

    I would like to get a really good one and I’d be willing to pay for it. Problem is, good ones haven’t been available this summer. Of course, last year gas prices were lower and I could go to the Asian market to pick them up.

Leave a Reply to Fruitloop Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.