My thyroid strikes again.

Last night, after I was in bed, it came to me that I’d failed to stop by the pharmacy to pick up my prescription for my medication. It’s the only one I take and I get it filled once every three months so it isn’t like it’s part of my daily routine. Soon as I got up this morning (late, BTW) I pulled on my clothes and went to the closest RiteAid to see if I could get any help. I took my last little pill with me and asked if they could help me until I got back to the valley ‘way on the other side of the mountain. Used to be, a person could get an emergency supply of thyroid medication to tide one over but no more. The pharmacist took my information and I gave him the phone number of my drugstore. I told him it’s on CST and they were probably not open yet. I gave him my son’s phone number and he said he’d call, have the scrip transferred and call me here. By the time I got back to the house, the others were gone to church. As promised, the man called me and said I could pick it up any time between then and 8 pm. I waited until after sundown and set out. I have a 90 day supply. My doctor said he’d write it with three refills but he either didn’t or my insurance won’t authorize it that way. Whatever.

There wasn’t much leeway when I walked in the door. I hurried and showered, dressed, prepared my lunch, and fixed my grapefruit juice which I finished drinking on the road.

My Raw Bowling Day Food

30 ozzies grapefruit juice
3 tomatoes, avocado, red onion, cucumber, kelp noodles, lime juice, sea salt and seasonings
36 ozzies OJ
4 persimmons (the last of the sorry ones)
.5 large pear (I shared it with my son)
Kelp noodles with avocado (avo twice today—I’m living dangerously)
2 Bubbies pickles

The parking lot at the church was full. I had to park over on the back 40 and hoof it in. I was wondering how I’d find my family in all that crowd but one of the first people I saw when I went in was my DIL. We went down a hallway and found my son, my granddaughter, my other DIL and my other granddaughter. And then there was my niece, her daughter, and my sister! My nephew was buzzing around somewhere burning off energy as usual. The father had come to see his daughter baptized which was a pleasant surprise.

My sister had saved me a seat ‘way up front so we’d be able to see the baptism easily. I prayed that I wouldn’t have to parade all the way back to the bathroom and my prayer was answered. It’s the first full church service I can remember sitting through in no telling how many years. Childbirth wreaks havoc on a woman’s body.

After the service was over, I was waiting for the bathroom and out walked a woman I’ve known for years. I spoke to her and she looked at me like she had never seen me before in her life. I said, “You don’t know me, do you?” The last time I saw her was more than two years ago at an Easter pageant. That day, I had on a robe (I was a Traveler and part of the “crowd”) and looked like a featherbed tied in the middle so it’s no wonder. My son pointed out that I look a lot different now. She did finally recognize me.

The kitchen was crowded but I managed to nab the end of a counter so I could finish preparing my meal. There weren’t any comments about my eating my own food. One woman said it looked good and my son said it smelled good. I asked him if he wanted to try it. He said, “Maybe later.” I told him later it would be gone and it was.

My son drove me to my car and I came on to the house. My DIL’s keys were locked up in the church office which necessitated her waiting for someone to come let her in. I came on back to the house and busied myself until they got home. My granddaughter went to visit a friend and ended up staying the night.

Tonight, we watched a couple of episodes of MythBusters and ate. I have pigged out to the point of embarrassing myself. That’s not something I should ever repeat. I haven’t had a smoothie today. I haven’t had a single banana. I’ve had two meals with overt fat. That is a big no-no. Tomorrow is another day and I’ll have to do better. A lot of the food I brought is still uneaten. My son tried the kelp noodles, though, and liked them.

It’s going on 10 o’clock and I’m sleepy. My son’s in bed. He has to work tomorrow. My DIL is asleep on the couch. I have no idea where the cats are. The parakeet is in the gigantic cage all by itself. It’s awfully quiet since its mate died. I’d better get ready for bed while I still can navigate. Good night!

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.