The first full day of the conference is over.

Leah wants me to tell how I prepared for it so here goes. I didn’t leave anything to chance. If you go back to the third week of October 2005, you’ll see what happened the last time out. I won’t go into that but I learned a lot. On Tuesday, I packed my work blender and put it in the car. I had some speckled bananas, fruit, lettuces, tomatoes, cucumbers, a honeydew, plus various and assorted other things that I brought. I didn’t depend on anyone to make sure I had food to eat. I “overbrought”, really, but that’s better than not bringing enough. When we got here, I set up my blender in the bathroom. Not where I would have chosen, but the only place that it would fit. There isn’t a desk or anything that’s usually in a hotel room. This suite is more for tourists than people here on business. My bananas are on the side of the jacuzzi!

When I went to bed last night, I knew I was in trouble. The mattress was like a satin covered felt pad. I tried and tried to get comfortable but it was only too miserable. Along about 2:30 this morning, I got up and put the cushions from the couch end to end on the bed under the sheet. The last time I looked at the clock, it was 2:59 am. I have felt sleepy all day. And I didn’t have to wonder why.

The people in the other hotel were awakened at 3:30 this morning by a fire alarm. It turned out there was water leaking in the boiler room. Some of them came to this hotel and sat in the lobby until the all clear sounded. JM and I were blissfully unaware of all the excitement. At least she was blissful. I was trying to be.

Breakfast was a banana/mango/spinach smoothie. I drank what I could in the room and took the rest of it with me to the continental breakfast. People are getting used to my unusual eating habits so there weren’t very many questions except for “What do you have in that?”

Sam Venable was in fine form. I had my picture taken with him so I can compare me with the last time he was keynote speaker. I think that was two years ago.

Lunch was provided by the vendors. The only things there that I could have eaten were lettuce and tomatoes. I chose to have my honeydew. It was really good and sweet.

After I ate, it was harder to stay awake. I dozed off several times. I’m sure I’ll sleep tonight. I stopped at the desk today and let them know the mattress was pitiful. It has since been replaced with a better one.

JM and our former co-workers elected to go to a nice restaurant to eat. They have a salad bar but I was in no mood to battle traffic for food that wouldn’t be as good as what I could fix myself. JM and I were going to go shopping for an hour and then come back so she could meet the others but said traffic was so heavy, she decided to come back to the hotel. It was a good thing she did because it was moving at a snail’s pace. I went on and got the things we needed and came back.

She was gone when I got into the suite. I fixed some tomatoes with lime juice and cayenne. It made me feel lots better. After I ate all of it, I fixed a large salad of red leaf lettuce, cucumbers, and tomato dressed with Frederic’s tomato mango dressing. I had thought I was getting burned out on it but I wanted it, after all.

And now I’m updating and am contemplating crawling into bed. I was planning to get into the jacuzzi but I’m more interested in going to sleep.

Good night!

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.