I’m up ‘way too late–again!

The bulletin took forever to modify tonight. I didn’t have enough information to fill it up and everything I found was either not long enough or too long until I came across this short story:

  • A few years ago at the Seattle Special Olympics, nine contestants, all physically or mentally disabled, assembled at the starting line for the 100 yard dash. At the gun, they all started out, not exactly in a dash, but with a relish to run the race to the finish and win. All, that is, except one boy who stumbled on the asphalt, tumbled over a couple of times and began to cry. The other eight heard the boy. They slowed down and looked back. They all turned around and went back. Every one of them. One girl with Downs Syndrome bent down and kissed him and said,”This will make it better.” All nine linked arms and walked across the finish line together. Everyone in the stadium stood, and the cheering went on for several minutes. People who were there are still telling the story. Why? Because deep down we know one thing. What matters most in this life is more than winning for ourselves. What truly matters in this life is helping others win, even if it means slowing down and changing our course.
  • I’m sure I’ve had that as a forward–I think I’ve had everything ever written at least once or twice if not a dozen times as a forward–but that was sweet and I know there will be people in church who never got an e-mail. It will be new to them.

    So…the bulletin is done and hanging on the doorknob so I’ll remember to grab it as I go out in the morning. It’s “almost tomorrow” now so I’m going to have to hurry through this.

    I got up in time to exercise but the gnats are taking over. I borrowed my sister’s method of dispatching them which is vacuuming them up. I took the canister out and emptied it but I think they were clinging to the inside of the wand because it looks like they are all back with friends. I’ll try a different vacuum tomorrow and dispose of the bag.

    Breakfast was watermelon. I walked three times around the loop. Lunch was watermelon. I walked once around before it started raining.

    I stopped and got some lightly speckled bananas for 29 cents a pound.

    My mother and step-father used to love to go to an apple shed that isn’t too far off the highway coming home. It’s built up and is no longer a shed but a nice big building with a pastry shop. When I walked in, it smelled wonderful. I enjoyed the smell but I wasn’t tempted. I got two bags of apples–small bags. I used to buy apples by the box and spend all sorts of time making applesauce but no more!

    I got home and unloaded. Supper was watermelon. I had finished up the watermelon in the fridge at lunch so I cut the new one. It wasn’t bad but I will never forget the one my nephew in North Carolina grew. That was, by far, the best I have ever tasted. He is a master farmer. I had one of the apples a little later.

    I have spent too much time changing my blog. If anyone pulled it up over and over, they would have seen multiple changes before I got it the way I wanted. The titles are still a little on the large side but I’m not going to do anything else to it tonight except add this post. At least I got the ticker where I wanted it. I thanked the Lord for that! I’ve figured out the picture situation, too, but I’ve only gotten one posted and that was on September 17.

    In five minutes, it will be midnight. Good night before it’s good morning!

    No comments yet.

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.