I had more time to eat breakfast

I had more time to eat breakfast because I didn’t fix a lunch. I had a nectarine, a plum, a pear, half a mango, and a smoothie of two bananas and some blueberries.

My manager didn’t get in touch with me before I left work so I figured that we were probably going to Kanpai. I was right. When I got home to fix my salad, I had an e-mail from her that we would plan on going there. I flung some lettuce, romaine, kale, spinach, cucumber, and onion into a large plastic container and mixed up some of my mango/tomato/lime dressing. I took along some almonds. When we got to Kanpai, there was a sign on the menu board that said, “No Outside Food Allowed”. I marched in with my lunch bag and nothing was said. When the waiter took our orders, all I asked for was water and a large bowl. They didn’t have large bowls so I plunked my plastic one on the plate and dug in. After the orders were all taken, the chef came and started on the hibachi. He threw some veggies on and they sizzled and screamed. I could imagine that they were yelling, “I’m wilting, I’m wilting!” It was the first time I’d seen and smelled cooking for five weeks now and it seemed rather barbaric. After I’d finished my salad (which took me as long as the others took to eat their dead veggies and equally dead bird, cow, and shrimp bodies) I leaned back and said, “That was good.” They asked me what kind of dressing I had and when I told them, most of them wanted to try it. I’d put the empty jar in my bag so I pulled it out and opened it. There was still some sticking to the sides of the jar and each of them stuck in a finger and tasted it. All but one of them thought it was good.

When I left the restaurant, I went by Fresh Market and got some goodies. The weather was decent until I got within about an hour of where I work. I saw lightning off in the distance and then drove into a downpour. It rained off and on until I got back. When I got ready to leave for home, it had started raining there and the water in the parking lot was over my shoes. I was wet up to my knees with the wicking of my slacks. By the time I got here, the sun was shining brightly and the cicadas (aka jarflies) were buzzing. This is that time of year that they are holding forth in the hot afternoons and katydids are proclaiming frost in the nighttime.

Supper was watermelon, a banana, a plum, a nectarine, and a Packham pear. Here’s what today looks like.


I started this hours ago. It’s 10:30 and I still have to clean up the mess I made making Sweet Potato Crisps. No wonder people don’t stick to eating raw if such a process is the usual thing. I started it yesterday by shredding sweet potatoes and soaking them and almonds overnight–actually until this afternoon. I put them through the juicer with the blank on it along with flax seed that was soaked after I got home. The seed went through whole so I don’t really know why the directions say to put them through, too. I’m not going to go through the whole process. The link to the recipe is there. It was labor intensive, to say the least. I don’t know if I got the resulting dough-like mixture thin enough but it’s in the dehydrator. There are thirteen sheets of it and, in the Excalibur, it’s supposed to make almost four. It may be a disaster but it’s a good smelling one. I hope it tastes as good, too. I may never make it again. It took hours and I’m tired. I haven’t felt tired for weeks and it isn’t really a good feeling.

I’m going to have a hard time getting up in the morning.

2 Responses to I had more time to eat breakfast

  1. Jane April 10, 2010 at 7:15 pm #

    Well. Kanpai is delicious. And you should have looked at the menu before you went and seen what they had. And you are taking stuff way to seriously. THe waiters are just trying to be funny and nice. LIKE ALWAYS! And why would you go back if you knew what they had, etc. and they take your order first and apparently you told them meat. so basically what it sounds like is ur trying to show off

    • Tommie April 11, 2010 at 3:43 pm #

      Glad you like it and you would have had to be there to actually know what was going on. I reported it as it happened. No, I let them know I DIDN’T eat meat. And the waiter wasn’t being funny OR nice. The others who were with me (all meateaters) were horrified by his attitude. I was with a group and they picked the eatery. I didn’t. It was a business lunch so I was stuck. And, BTW, have you noticed that I’m a raw vegan as of June 24, 2005?

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.