And on the Fourth Day

My days and nights have been getting increasingly rough. I get weaker and weaker and less able to take care of myself. The nurse was appalled that I had taken a shower while I was here alone and my sat was in the low 70s when I got out.

Managing to feed the Catz was about all I did today besides going to the bathroom and drinking water.

I think I’ve figured out the cause for my getting weaker. I’m starving. The less I eat, the less I can eat. The less I can eat, the less I can do. It’s a vicious circle.

My friend came out in spite of my not being able to go to rehab. She brought some vegan powders and blended one up with a peach and water. It had a bit of a strange underlying taste but it wasn’t so bad I couldn’t get it down. In its own way, it was kind of good. Later, she fixed me a bowl of cereal.

HondaAsking when my car had been started, I told her it was several weeks ago. She got the keys, went out and came back in. The dash lights came on but it wouldn’t start. A light bulb came on. Did she push the clutch all the way in? It has a clutch?? Yes. They had to go to Knoxville to get me a car with a manual transmission. She went back out and it started right up that time. She let it run for a while.

Being a brave and hardy (maybe foolhardy) soul, she offered to do some cleaning out of the refrigerator and freezer. She had several partially full trash bags when she finished. After checking on me one more time, she loaded up and left.

After she was gone, I felt totally alone and started feeling like I couldn’t make it if I stayed that way. Later this afternoon, I texted Cuz. She’d told me if I ever needed her to let her know and she’d come. She asked me if she needed to come up. I texted back, “I hate to say yes but yes.” She texted back that she was on her way.

It was a little more than an hour when she let herself in with her key.

She had a bag with her. In it were four cartons of Silk yogurt. It has an aftertaste that So Delicious doesn’t but it isn’t bad. I ate the whole container with no problem.

Remembering the clock, she got it down and replaced the battery. It took both of us to set it and it ended up on EDT. I’ll have to reset it when the time “falls back”.

While I was eating, she unloaded the dishwasher. When she came in, she sat down to talk and offered to stay for the night if I wanted. By that time, I was feeling somewhat better. I’d had an email from my PCP saying it would be okay for me to take the doxepin with the cough med so she got me a half glass of water and I took both.

She’d fed the Catz while I was leaning back with my eyes closed, just breathing. She has some business in town tomorrow so she’ll come out late morning.

I was instructed not to blog but here I am. I’ve had frequent coughing breaks and breaks to breathe. I haven’t heard anything from the editor. Either she hasn’t seen my email or she’s ignoring it. Either way, I’m through.

10 Responses to And on the Fourth Day

1. Lila August 18, 2016 at 8:06 am #

Tommie, I am so concerned about you. As you well know, you have to be able to eat in order to live. And again, I am so thankful for those who are there to help. You have good friends and a good supportive church family. Not everyone could say the same.

• Tommie August 18, 2016 at 10:49 am #

I’m blessed in that regard. I’d thought all those years at the organ were taken for granted but I was wrong. We do have a friendly church and it’s a family.

2. Alice Fontana August 18, 2016 at 9:38 am #

Hang in there my friend. Your daughter will be there soon. I believe you have strength you haven’t even tapped into yet. You are so right about the eating for strength. Remember, you’re never alone … God is always by your side….

• Tommie August 18, 2016 at 10:52 am #

In one way, a little over a week seems short and in another, it stretches out interminably. God is sending people to help, too.

3. Merry August 18, 2016 at 10:39 am #

Ohh my, Tommie. I’m thinking you need comfort care and to eat more even if you don’t want to eat. Try eating small amounts several times during the day.
    I know…you’re the patient but when we get weak it’s hard to think clearly.
    (I worked for the USPS)
    Please try to keep us posted.
    I’ve been keeping a check on you.

• Tommie August 18, 2016 at 10:56 am #

My problem with eating small amounts through the day is that I get too weak to fix anything. I didn’t think I would ever see the day when I’d need a “companion” but I guess the time has come.

4. Merry August 18, 2016 at 4:51 pm #

I had trouble posting this morning…
    I’m surprised to see it.
    My thought was you are a nurse and know about medical issues.
    But it’s harder to care for our self…
    Yes… it’s time for help.
    🤗

• Tommie August 18, 2016 at 5:07 pm #

I have to approve each comment before it will be visible. Sometimes I don’t get notifications so it may be several hours until a comment shows up.

No, I’m not a nurse. I worked at a small hospital for almost 25 years but it was more on the financial side. I did pick up a lot along the way, though.

5. Mary Jane Graves August 18, 2016 at 7:59 pm #

I’m sorry I’m too far away to help. I could at least prepare food for you. I’m thankful for the good helpers you do have, and I pray for them, too.

• Tommie August 18, 2016 at 8:38 pm #

You could come live with me! I’m very thankful for them and I appreciate the prayers for all of us.