Lower Than Low

I don’t know how long it’s supposed to take for the rehab sessions to help but three of them have just about put me under. I think it’s as much getting ready for them as anything. It wears me out to take a shower, dry my hair and get dressed. At that point, I’m ready to go back to bed but I have to go and do my thing for close to an hour.

Well, I didn’t today. I had a bad day yesterday. Cuz came and mowed the lawn. I about used up all my energy feeding the Catz. I did manage to take some pictures but I won’t post them yet because I haven’t even looked at them to see if they are worth posting.

DD had called earlier but I just let the phone ring since I hadn’t started eating yet. While I was eating, Cuz came in for a short visit. After she left and I finished up, I called DD and she talked/I coughed for about 45 minutes.

DS1 sent a text (he’s been very good about texting me since the visit) with a picture of what my granddaughter had created for their meal.

Stromboli

He said it was vegetarian Stromboli. Looks good to me.

Worn out with coughing (my rib cage is still sore), I started taking cough medicine again. I don’t know if it helps or not. I still cough. Maybe marginally less.

Last night, I knew there was no way I was going to be able to go to rehab today so I emailed my friend to let the other friend who was my driver today know that I wouldn’t be going. I called and left voice mail for the therapist.

This morning, my driver friend called and said she’d be coming out to bring me some more food but it would be this afternoon. I was halfway through breakfast when the phone rang. It was our other friend saying she was at the front door but wasn’t able to make me hear the knock.

When I opened the door, she came in laden with four little pot pies (if you have an appetite, one would make a meal), green beans, carrots and potato salad. I was embarrassed because I haven’t been able to take a shower for several days and I know I stink. She didn’t stay long.

The pies were still warm so when they cooled, I put three of them in a Ziploc bag and then in the freezer. I had 1/4 of the fourth, some green beans, carrots and two servings of potato salad for supper. Maybe I can make up for the half a lub or so that I’d lost since yesterday. Since I last reset my goal, I’ve lost .9 lub.

I had to rest before I put everything away. And then I had to rest before I fed the Catz a second time.

Cuz is supposed to be here tomorrow and it’s time for my B12 shot. I’ve asked my nurse friend to bring her stethoscope to listen to my lungs. I’ve been feeling very congested and I wonder if trying to deep breathe has riled something up.

That’s about it for yesterday and today. I took a dose of cough medicine a little while ago and I’m still coughing and hacking. If I could just bring something up, I think I would feel somewhat better.

13 Responses to Lower Than Low

1. Dorothy Tainter August 2, 2016 at 5:48 am #

Tommie, Feeling bad that you’re feeling bad. I can’t imagine living with the coughing spells for as long as you do. I know it was bad enough for the few weeks I was healing with my fx ribs, etc. My pillow was my best friend as I hugged it everytime I had a coughing spell. It did seem to help the hurts. I’m sure you have tried lemon juice and honey for the coughing. It sometimes did it for me. Hope today 8/2/16 is a better day for you.

• Tommie August 2, 2016 at 10:34 am #

Thanks, Dorothy. The cough is from my IPF, not throat irritation. Glad you’re doing better.

2. Les August 2, 2016 at 8:04 am #

Praying for you, Tommie! Try to get some rest and attempt the rehab next time. No doubt it is wearing you out, but it’s also making you stronger little by little. Really praying the coughing will let up so you can rest and be more at ease. May God encourage you today in a special way.

• Tommie August 2, 2016 at 10:35 am #

Thank you, Les. I appreciate it.

3. Mary Jane Graves August 2, 2016 at 2:14 pm #

I wish I could help! I think I am just plain lazy. The hot weather does that to me, plus making me very sleepy. I love Spring and Fall!

• Tommie August 2, 2016 at 2:18 pm #

Some days are worse than others for me. And what spring and fall? Here, we go from winter to summer and summer to winter.

4. Jane Lee August 2, 2016 at 4:23 pm #

Tommie Sue… I keep wishing that I can hear a good report from you one day….. Will it help if I help you get ready for rehab and dry your hair for you? And will a cat food feeder help so you don’t have to feed the cats so often?

• Tommie August 2, 2016 at 4:33 pm #

I don’t think I’ll be going the rest of this week. Had an almost tumble last night and I’m so sore I can’t move my right arm very much. The exercises both involve arms so I wouldn’t be able to do them.

Feeding the Catz is a bright spot in my day. I don’t want to let that go.

• Jane Lee August 2, 2016 at 4:45 pm #

Well, I’m scheduled to take you to rehab on Friday so please let me know if you change your mind. Otherwise, I will know that you won’t be going. I will be praying that you feel stronger so you can make it to your appointment.

• Tommie August 2, 2016 at 5:01 pm #

I’ll be in touch. As short as my hair is, I’ll probably just let it air dry.

5. Jane Lee August 2, 2016 at 4:27 pm #

I just read this scientific research on rehab for IPF patients.

Outcome is good. Just keep at it if you can. Try to make your rehab appointments as best as possible. I can try to do what I can to help…

• Tommie August 2, 2016 at 4:38 pm #

I read the article. Outcome doesn’t change mortality but it can improve quality of life. I’m thinking of showering/bathing the day before rehab so there won’t be as much to do to get ready. That might seem a little gross but that’s better than what I’ve been able to do for several days.

• Jane Lee August 2, 2016 at 4:42 pm #

I think that is a great idea! Please let me know if you need help drying your hair. I don’t mind going up there to do that. It’ll save your arm muscles for rehab. 🙂