TRAPPED!

Cuz came over this morning and looked under the house but didn’t see anything. She had to get one of the men to an appointment with one of his doctors so she had little time to look. She told me she’d be back this afternoon to do a better job.

There was a problem on SSNet that I wasn’t sure had nothing to do with my notebook. I breathed as little as possible and went in to look it up on the netbook. Same there so I came out and was thankful I could breathe fresher air though there was a faint odor coming into the living room from under the door.

Later, I held my breath as long as I could and went in to open the bathroom window. I couldn’t help but breathe a little in spite of myself.

I needed a shower but I couldn’t bring myself to be in the bathroom that long. For a wonder, it smelled worse than I did.

Afternoon came and with it, Cuz. She told me she had found the culprit but she was going to have to get gloves and something to put it in. She mentioned there was a cloud of flies buzzing about, too.

By and by, there was a knock at the door. My CIL opened it and yelled for me to bring my camera. When I picked it up and went out to the deck, here’s what I saw:

The Critter and Cuz

She carried the body far, far away to make the disposal.

The ‘possum had gotten into the insulation before Cuz had boarded it up. It must’ve been in there for weeks. Maybe it found some mouse bodies to dine on and stayed alive for no telling how long. Cuz had tried to pull it out but it was so far gone that the hair kept coming off in clumps. She had to cut a hole in the insulation so it would drop out (thank goodness for gravity) and she was oh, so thankful that the bloated carcass didn’t explode then and there. Now she has a hole to patch.

She advised me to spray with something in the bedroom and bath to help rid the place of the stench. I got an almost empty bottle of Febreze out of Twinkle’s bathroom and made use of it.

By that time, it was so late that I decided tomorrow would be fine for a shower.

Cuz came over again with information about spinal cord stimulation. She asked me if I knew anything about it. I don’t have chronic back pain so, no, I didn’t. It will be interesting to see if insurance will pay for it. From what I’ve found online, it costs anywhere from $15-20,000. Even with Medicare discounting it down to approved charges, it’s still a pretty good chunk o’ change.

I asked her about the kitchen light. She’ll have to wait until her construction partner can come over with her to test it. She said she could take it down but I’d like it left up, if at all possible.

It’s Thursday night. It doesn’t seem that long ago when I was starting the week. Time flies whether I’m having fun or not. I do have much for which to be thankful, though. It isn’t many people who have a Cuz like mine.

8 Responses to TRAPPED!

1. Lila October 9, 2015 at 7:53 am #

I would say your Cuz is near ’bout worth her weight in gold. However, from the looks of her, that wouldn’t amount to a whole lot, considering her size.

• Tommie October 9, 2015 at 10:42 am #

Maybe worth my weight? That would be more like it.

2. Mary Jane October 9, 2015 at 8:05 am #

Glad that’s over! And that you have “Cuz” to deal with such things!!! Your other daughter?

• Tommie October 9, 2015 at 10:42 am #

Yes, definitely. And I’m her other mother.

3. Joan Rowland October 10, 2015 at 8:55 am #

Hi Tommie:
    Read about this on the upper room and had to take a look! Wow! I had a mouse in my refrigerator stuck in our cooling fan. Your critter is much bigger 😇😇😆😆😁😁 Joan

• Tommie October 10, 2015 at 10:00 am #

Either one is traumatic. Thanks for stopping by!

4. Jennifer October 10, 2015 at 11:45 pm #

I love reading your posts on UR, and think of you as a kindred spirit since I am also originally from Tennessee. I still have many friends in “your neck of the woods”. Before my husband and I married in Tennessee almost 20 years ago, he had a skunk chew her way into his ductwork, and then pass on to critter heaven. When skunks spray, they only release a small portion but when they die…it all comes out. He had to open the windows and abandon his house for days. For about 6 months when he came to visit me, I could still detect the odor if he brought a bag of clothes or his briefcase straight from his house to mine. He couldn’t run the heat or air for a long time. My nieces recorded a song for him to the tune of “Achy Breaky Heart” called the ” Funky Skunky Song”. (Being from Tennessee I hope you remember Billy Ray Cyrus and his song). It’s a funny memory now, but the smell was definitely not funny at the time. Glad you found your invader before the smell got any worse!

• Tommie October 10, 2015 at 11:57 pm #

Thank you, Jennifer. I think we have many kindred spirits there.

I can definitely be thankful it wasn’t a skunk! I was thinking about “Achy Breaky Heart” yesterday. Billy Ray was a “one hit wonder” but look what’s happened with Miley! You should upload the tribute to the skunk to youtube. I’d love to hear it!