The Visit

It was so tempting to crawl back in my warm bed after I took my meds but I resisted. It’s a good thing I did. Since I didn’t know whether The Visit was supposed to take place in EDT or TT, quiet time, breakfast, a shower and getting dressed took me up almost to the deadline.

It’s hard to hear someone knock on the door so I made a sign to ring the doorbell and mounted it inside the storm door. I didn’t note the time it rang but when I went to let the nurse in, she presented as very young and pretty.

I’d lined up everything listed on the loveseat and had my insurance card plus a printout of my PCP info complete with a photo of the doc. She was impressed and said I did better at getting everything together than most people.

Since the loveseat was occupied with all the plunder, I invited her to sit in the chair Cuz usually occupies. She moved some of the Stuff over and sat where she could examine everything. It was a better arrangement, anyway, since she had a tablet with a detachable keyboard and she busied herself taking notes.

Each of the meds and supplements were listed with the dosage and the reason for taking same. That took a good chunk of time. Then she started quizzing me about my physical and mental status. She told me she was going to give me a memory test. I was to remember “apple, ball, and pencil”. Then she told me to draw a clock with the numbers in the right places and have it show 2:45. While she was typing away, I did that and since she was still typing when I finished, I put a knob on the top and a base for it to sit on.

I’d started another doodle when she took it back and asked me for the words. After I told her, she looked at the clock and laughed. The others she’d seen today had put similar additions on theirs. She said maybe it was in the water.

Early in the visit, she had asked me to verify my date of birth. I did as she requested. After she’d been here long enough to forget (I guess), she asked me if I were on disability. I could have hugged her. I told her no, that I’m 71. She said she’d thought I was much younger.

After she listened to my lungs and commented on the crackles at the bases, took my blood pressure (116/68) and O2 sat (it started out at 97% and dropped to 96%), tested my balance and reflexes, she pronounced me as being in good shape except for my reflux and breathing problems.

When she was leaving, she said she would probably still be seeing people in this area this time next year and we’d see each other then.

She spied my camera on the chair by the door. I told her I keep it at the ready to take pictures of the Catz. Then she saw the pictures on the wall and commented on them. I told her my PCP hated the one of the bee on the thistle and the one that shows a field of thistles. She liked the one of DS2’s back yard, too.

After she left, I called the pharmacy to get a status of my prescription. The nurse had called from the clinic earlier and said the order had been faxed. Still, nothing was there. I called the clinic back and left voice mail. The nurse called me again and, OOPS! the scrip had been faxed to the wrong pharmacy. I called Walmart and asked for it to be transferred. Talk about a mixup!

I put on jeans and a T-shirt, grabbed my purse & reusable bags and headed out.

Dollar Tree stocks my facial tissue so I stopped there and laid in a supply plus a few other things.

The first place I went at Walmart was Customer Service. I had printed off a Daiya product request form. I left it with the lady who said she would see the right person got it—as if it will do any good. Next, the pharmacy. Of course, there was a line. It’s quicker at the other place but I’ll wait for the difference in price.

I gathered up almost all of the things on my list except for Fordhook limas. The space where they were supposed to be was occupied by green beans. Not the same AT all!

My favorite cashier was banished to the back 40 of lanes but I spied her, anyway. She didn’t have anyone in line so it was a quick checkout. Avocados had gone up to $1.18 but I had price match for 10/$10. I got five.

When I got to Food City (Campari tomatoes, two clamshells for $5), I gathered up several things NOT on my list and badgered the manager about not having Fordhook limas. He’s going to try to get them in. I also told him that they were only stocking two flavors of So Delicious. He promised to take care of that, too. Oh, and I turned in a Daiya product request form. Like it will do any good.

Cuz was home when I got here but I haven’t seen her. She was probably pretty tired. I know I was after I brought in all of the purchases and put them away. I still haven’t put the tissue away but that can wait until tomorrow.

I was near ’bout starved but it was so late I just ate some soup, crackers and three cookies. That was after I drank my water and took my NAC and enzymes.

This little girl is tired and sleepy. It’s been a day and a half and I’m ready for some peace and quiet.

6 Responses to The Visit

  1. Lila October 7, 2015 at 8:08 am #

    Still rejoicing that you can do all your running around without taking supplemental oxygen along! Life is good, but so much better when we can be independent.

    • Tommie October 7, 2015 at 10:13 am #

      You’re right!

  2. Mary Jane October 7, 2015 at 9:35 am #

    I had a similar memory test, with the 3 words and clock, but the words were “apple, table, penny.” I didn’t do it, but you could think that there was an apple on a table and it cost a penny.

    • Tommie October 7, 2015 at 10:14 am #

      I just concentrated on remembering the three words while I drew the clock and waited. Guess you could call it multi-tasking.

  3. Mary Jane October 7, 2015 at 8:31 pm #

    I did what you did.

    • Tommie October 7, 2015 at 9:17 pm #

      We must be related.

Leave a Reply to Lila Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.