Labor Day Eve

It used to be I would have to find someone to work on Labor Day so everyone else could have the day off. Sometimes, two someones would split the day with one working the first half and the other one the second. Praise the Lord, I don’t have to do that any more!

It was later than it should be when I got up this morning. Seeing that DS1’s 51st is coming up soon, I went to Amazon and pulled up his wish list. Based on past experience, I didn’t know if it was current. I texted him and he said he’d check it when he got home. Well, he either isn’t home yet or he forgot. I sent him another text a little while ago but he may already be in bed since he probably got up well before dawn this morning.

DD and her SO along with merm and her girlfriend went camping this weekend. They were out of range of a signal so I wasn’t expecting a call. I decided I’d go ahead and do my grocery shopping today rather than wait until tomorrow. Another reason was that the ad I had for 49-cents-a-lub bananas expired today.

When I got to Walmart, the tattooed lady was the only one working. Rather than multi-color hair, it’s solid purple on the long part and clipped close on the sides and in the back. She had enough to keep her busy for most of an hour so I told her I’d be back.

Next stop was Customer Service to return a grapefruit that looked fine on the outside but was slimy inside. $1.06 was put back on my credit card. I was lucky enough to find no line.

The same was true at the pharmacy. It’s the first time I can remember that I didn’t have to wait.

My favorite produce girl was getting off work. I stopped and said hello and congratulated her on her 10 year silver badge. She was pleased I noticed.

Clip CaseEverything I had to do took up almost all the wait time. I’ve been needing a rigid folder to hold my music so it won’t bend. The first one I looked at that I thought would work was $30. Uh, no. Going down the shelves, the prices got less and less but were still a bit much. I prayed that the Lord would help me find just what I needed. I went over to the next aisle and there it was! It is a different brand but is almost identical to this one and was less than $7. I thanked the Lord and put it in my cart.

On the way back to the grocery side, I saw Cuz’ twin brother and his family. His wife was surprised that I was out by myself. I told her I’d be going and coming alone for quite awhile. I said that Cuz still wants to take me to my appointments and she said she (Cuz) worries about me. I told her it’s nice to have someone who does.

A little later, I saw one of Cuz’ other brothers and his wife and then I saw a former co-worker with her daughter and grandbaby—and the grandbaby is also a cousin’s grandbaby. It was like family reunion day.

When enough time had passed, I parked my cart in produce and went to the beauty shop. She was just finishing cutting a man’s hair. He was very particular which made me feel not quite so bad about pointing out this and that.

During the course of our conversation, she told me she is leaving and going to another shop in the next town. She said it would be something like 15 minutes away but I don’t drive that fast. I’ll just have to break someone else in.

I got the rest of my groceries and was starting to the checkout when I began coughing. I coughed and coughed and coughed. My peppermint either helped or it eventually coughed itself out. I’d gone over into ladies’ wear and hidden between the racks of clothes while I lost a lung.

Price matching got me oranges that were $4.98 for $2.49, the aforementioned bananas, and Silk cashew milk ($2.98) for 2/$5.

The organic celery at Walmart is awful. I had to throw away most of the last I had and what I didn’t was almost tasteless. (I don’t use anything but organic when it comes to celery and carrots.) I stopped at Bi-Lo (my nephew says it will soon be “Bi-Bi”) and got some Foxy organic (I prefer Earthbound Farm) and a pint of So Delicious ice cream. Gotta get the point across.

Home, unloading, putting away. I discovered the oranges I already have had a bad one in the bag. If I’d noticed that before my trip, I would’ve taken it back, too. As it was, I discarded it.

One of the huge mangoes was beginning to go bad. I carved it up and it still filled a dinner plate. I ate the whole thing. I wasn’t very hungry after that so I just snacked.

Cuz has been over twice since I got home. She hadn’t realized I’d left until I was coming back.

The hour grows late and I’m tired. I’ll go to bed, get under the cover and snooze away.

2 Responses to Labor Day Eve

  1. Mary Jane September 7, 2015 at 8:42 am #

    Sorry your tattooed lady is leaving. That’s what happens to me–after a while they either move or retire!

    • Tommie September 7, 2015 at 10:23 am #

      There was one who left that I really really missed. She cut my hair the way I wanted it. I haven’t been able to get it across to anyone else. I’m like Cuz. I wish I could clone myself so I could cut it myself.

Leave a Reply to Tommie Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.