Out and About

Yesterday, I had to go be tortured by enduring a PFT (Pulmonary Function Test). Cuz asked what time we’d need to leave but I knew she was supposed to be elsewhere so I told her I’d drive. She said she hated for me to go alone but I wasn’t seeing the doctor unless it was in the hallway.

I tried to call to postpone because I hadn’t slept well Thursday night but I couldn’t get through. Nothing for it but to go whether I wanted to or not.

My appointment was early afternoon so I took my shower and got dressed in a rather leisurely fashion. I left home two hours ahead of time because I had to stop to get gas. Well, I didn’t have to but I’ve never run out in this car and I plan to keep it that way.

When I arrived at the Mother Ship, I determined to park in my usual place—on the roof. It was not to be. The way was blocked on the second level so I parked there. Life is what happens…

As per my usual custom, I went to the bathroom on the first floor then it was to the elevator. On up to the “penthouse” and I was about a half hour early. I was hoping to be called in right away but the time ticked on and there I sat. When it was 10 minutes past my appointment time, I was called back.

The therapist seemed to be in a rather jolly mood. I told her the PFT was NOT my favorite thing to do. She laughed and said I was the second person to tell her that, that day. She recited the spiel that I have almost memorized by now.

After the first battery of “breathe normally, breathe normally, breathe normally. Now suck in the air and BLAST it out!” plus more cough-inducing exercises, she looked at the printout and told me I had improved a few points over the last time. It wasn’t much but, she said, I’m definitely stable.

Instead of the usual albuterol, she had me inhale a powder from an inhaler. I had to do it three times and then she left me to cough and give time for the medication to work. I couldn’t tell any difference in my breathing but when she had me do the breathing and blasting, she said it went up a few more points. What I do know is that it made me jittery and my tremor was worse for several hours until it wore off.

I’d checked my Healthlink card (hospital issued membership that gets me out of the parking garage without having to fork over $1) and it had expired last month. When I went through the gate, I told the attendant my card had expired and I hadn’t been sent a new one. She waved me on through with well-wishes.

Rain had been threatening and a few drops hit the windshield but nothing more. The trip home was unremarkable until I started on the road up the mountain. There is a long curve at the bottom of the mountain that is treacherous for unsuspecting drivers—especially those in big rigs. Traffic was stopped and I could see that a long section of guardrail had been taken out and there was a boulder on the road. It couldn’t have come from anywhere other than the back of a truck.

After a few minutes, vehicles going up the mountain were allowed to pass. Oncoming traffic was being re-routed through the valley where Mother is buried. I couldn’t see much other than there was a wrecker down in the dip and back in the woods.

Coming on home, I was surprised to see the vehicles still here. Cuz had said they would be going back to the other place but “life is what happens”. I fixed my second meal of the day and ate.

Later, Cuz came over and said she had been delayed a half hour by the wreck. She’d gotten out and walked up to see what had happened and there was more than one boulder in the road. A big rig was off the road and in the woods. She could see the trailer turned over but couldn’t see the tractor. There were skid marks going over the opposite side of the road. I haven’t learned more than one person was killed in the accident and another hospitalized in serious condition. If I’d gotten in for my appointment early…who knows what might have happened?

Cuz had been to the other house where she has a bit of a garden and she’d picked okra. She got three plastic grocery bags full and sliced enough for 13 quart freezer bags. She brought me two of them. I put one in the freezer and kept one out to use. I still have some of the second batch of okra she brought me this past week.

Last night was a better night. It was still cloudy when the sun came up so I overslept. It was close to 10 when I was able to leave.

The current organist asked me if I would play. I told her I couldn’t because my feet would stick to the pedals. The pianists are going to be gone for several weeks so I agreed that I would help her out when I could. I’ll have to remember to tuck a pair of socks in my purse. Since I’m not down for playing, I don’t know how that will fly with the Powers That Be but we’ll see. I wasn’t asked at all when nominations took place so I figured they were happy with the status quo.

The male component of my road trip team was the speaker today and it was very good. It was about gated communities and how some gates are to keep people out while heaven’s gates are welcoming people in.

Along at the last, I started coughing so I left when the closing song was being sung.

My meal was Daiya Margherita Pizza. It wasn’t the best pizza I’ve ever eaten but it was good. I think it would have been better had it not been a gluten-free crust. They tend to be rather heavy. I also had a small tomato and onion sandwich (the sandwich was small—the tomato and onion were usual size) and some chocolate ice cream with chocolate chips. I won’t starve.

The rest of the afternoon was quiet. Cuz came over not long before sundown. She’d been burning brush and smelled strongly of smoke.

ASUS Live Update ran a couple times this afternoon, requiring restarts. It was also telling me I can upgrade to Windows 10. Well…

I started watching a program on addiction but will finish it up another time. It’s getting late and I should lay my weary head down soon.

4 Responses to Out and About

  1. Lila August 16, 2015 at 7:47 am #

    You seem to have recovered well from your bout with pneumonia. You must be doing something right!

    • Tommie August 16, 2015 at 11:15 am #

      Well, today I’m being lazy.

  2. Mary Jane August 16, 2015 at 4:07 pm #

    Sounds like quite an accident! Scary stuff.

    • Tommie August 16, 2015 at 4:26 pm #

      If I’d been just a little earlier…

Leave a Reply to Tommie Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.