Another One for the Books

It was 8:45 when I woke this morning. I hadn’t intended to sleep in but after the day we’d had yesterday and getting to bed late, it happened. That was okay. I didn’t have to be anywhere at any certain time.

Going back to have the six minute walk and ABG were on the agenda for sometime this week so I decided it might as well be today. I went out and talked to Cuz. She’d had a rough night and looked like she’d had days she felt better. When I told her I was going back to the Mother Ship, she asked if I’d be okay on my own. Well, I think so. I hope so.

I got ready and left. It was hot and sunny which made it nice to have the a/c working in the car. Since I was the driver, I stopped by Mother’s grave. Some places had been mowed and some not. I’ve seen it when it looked better.

When I got to the parking garage, I headed for the roof which is my usual place to park. I went over to the side opposite the elevators.

Getting registered took some time. When I finally got through there, I was escorted to the department where I’d get my work done.

I busied myself flipping through a magazine and was finally called. I stood up and the tech called my name again. As I walked over to her, she looked at me like, “Who are you?” I said, “I’m Tommie.” She looked quite taken aback and said, “I was looking for a man.” She apologized and hugged me. I told her it wasn’t the first time and I was sorry to disappoint.

I was escorted to the torture chamber. It’s a very small room with a jumble of equipment. The tech (Susie) asked me if I’d ever had an ABG. Yes. Twice. And a six minute walk. Well, I knew what was going on so she wouldn’t have to explain.

She made some small talk about names and I mentioned that I had someone close to me who had the same name as hers. The odd thing is, she said her real name is Elizabeth Lee but “Wake Up, Little Susie” was popular when she was born so the name stuck.

The instruments of mayhem were laid out and my arm prepared. She palpated it several times and proceeded to insert the needle. No blood appeared. She pulled it partially out and tried it again with the same result. I was praying the whole time. That went on for several minutes until she gave up and called another tech in. That one used the other arm and assured me she was going to try once and once only. If she wasn’t successful, they would give up. I prayed it would work. She got it and filled the syringe.

Here’s how my arms looked after the ordeal.

Double Trouble

Then it was time for me to walk. I’d worn my Nikes so I was ready. I was taken to a deserted hallway and Susie instructed me to walk back and forth while she timed me. There were windows along one side so I didn’t feel closed in. She had me walk for three minutes, then she stopped me and got my O2 sat. It was a bit low but not in the danger zone. I walked another three minutes with Susie asking questions now and then so I’d have to talk. After the final three minutes, she did the O2 sat again and checked my blood pressure. My BP hadn’t wavered from what it had been before the ABG.

She asked if I had someone with me. No. I was alone. “NO ONE came with you??” No. I came by myself. By that time, it was thundering and lightning and rain was threatening. “How far do you have to go?” I told her. “Well, you’re pretty independent, aren’t you?” I have to be. “Do you have an umbrella?” Yes. It’s in the car.

On the way out, I stopped by the bathroom. I was ready to go.

When I got to the roof, it was raining. Not hard but enough that I ran to the car. I hadn’t been coughing but that sprint brought on a spell. I wasn’t drenched when I got in but I was wet enough.

My Healthlink card got me out of the garage without having to pay the $1 fee. If I’d known that yesterday, Cuz could have saved her money.

ALDI’s ad for this week was, for the most part, the same as last week’s so I didn’t bother to stop.

The rain wasn’t bad in town but when I got out on the highway, it opened up and poured. It was as heavy a downpour as I’ve ever contended with. Cars were pulling over and waiting it out. I forged ahead and followed the lines. I could barely see the car ahead of me. Traffic slowed to a crawl at times but when the left lane would be clear, some maniacs would pass me like I was sitting still. I’d drive out of a deluge only to get into another one. I prayed without ceasing.

By the time I got to Walmart, the rain had stopped. I got some grapefruit, peaches and donut peaches. From there, I had to go pick up my prescription for B12.

Everything was dry at home so I guess the rain hadn’t gotten this far. I ate supper and listened to a portion of the Sabbath School discussion. Later, when I went in the bathroom, I heard rain hitting the vent. I don’t think it did much but every little bit helps.

A bag of cat food has mysteriously appeared beside the front door. It’s good to know the Catz won’t starve. With any luck, neither will I.

4 Responses to Another One for the Books

  1. Lila August 6, 2015 at 7:53 am #

    I have never had blood drawn from the place they drew yours from. Why not in the crook of the elbow? Seems it would have been less painful and a lot easier to get. At any rate, I’m so very thankful you have progressed to the point of being able to live normally again!

    • Tommie August 6, 2015 at 11:11 am #

      The blood that’s drawn from the crook of the elbow is from a vein. ABG is Arterial Blood Gases. The doctor wants a reading of how much O2 is actually in my blood.

  2. Mary Jane August 7, 2015 at 4:44 pm #

    Ouch! Once when i was giving blood in the bloodmobile the first poker couldn’t get it and I got a big bubble on my arm. She frantically called for the other nurse (one I knew). I was willing for her to try the other arm and she had no trouble. They should give you a medal for enduring all those pokes!

    • Tommie August 7, 2015 at 6:38 pm #

      Punitive damages would be better. Funny thing is, it isn’t even sore.

Leave a Reply to Lila Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.