The Day After

It’s been a hairy 24 hours. The problem with fatal errors and out of memory messages persisted. I was ready to tear my hair out but it isn’t easy to get a good hold on it when it’s this short.

I contacted merm and she said a memory upgrade was probably what was needed. I’m still waiting to find out what my financial obligation will be. That’s the scary part. Besides my blog woes, my Internet charge has almost doubled from last year, even with a $10 a month discount. It won’t be long before that battle will have to be fought again.

It isn’t all bad, though. I’m blessed to live in a house that allows me to have fresh air. When I was finishing up my meal on Sabbath, one of the ladies came over to talk. We were discussing the heat and I told her I have a/c but I’m not using it. I told her why (the mouse crud in the ducts) and said I have windows open and fans going. She said fans would just push the hot air around in her house. Then she told me why.

I don’t remember if her brother had built the house but he installed windows that won’t open. Her description of it reminded me of the underground house (The Dirt House) we lived in, in Alabama. The difference is, hers is aboveground and her bedroom is upstairs. She does have an air conditioner in her bedroom (I guess they knocked a hole in the wall) but it doesn’t work that well. So…I have a lot to be thankful for.

Corn on the CobThe Computer Owner had taken corn for the fellowship meal Sabbath. It was boiling away far longer than it needed. I asked her how long she was going to cook it. “Thirty minutes.” WHA?? She had to be kidding but she wasn’t. She said her mother cooked it for an hour and pressurized green beans for two hours. I put this link on her Facebook wall. I hope it helps.

Speaking of corn, some would be good about now. I haven’t had breakfast yet but it’s good any time. I cut my last tomato yesterday. It looked ripe but it wasn’t. It reminded me of the wintertime tomatoes that are a bit crunchy in the middle.

I’m using the WYSIWYG editor. DD was after me to get away from the text one years ago. I’m not sure if I like it or not. I feel like I’m in a box but maybe I need to give it a chance.

It’s such a relief not to be battling my way through this morning. Thank you, merm! And now I’ll sign off until tonight.




6 Responses to The Day After

  1. Mary Jane August 12, 2014 at 3:37 am #

    Hope it really is fixed this time!

    • Tommie August 12, 2014 at 4:42 am #

      Not nearly as much as I do!

  2. Mary Jane August 12, 2014 at 5:04 am #

    That corn must have been well done! One way to tell if it’s done is when it changes color (according to one idea), and with tender corn that should take just a few minutes–5 or so.
    I have water on to boil now for what I hope will be really good!

    • Tommie August 12, 2014 at 6:15 am #

      If I’m going to have it on the cob, I leave it in the husks and put it in a very hot oven. Turn it as the husks char and when the ones on the outside are black, it’s done. It’s hot so I’m careful when I shuck it. The flavor is all there (not boiled away in water) and I don’t put anything on it but a little salt. YUMMY!!

  3. Joanie August 14, 2014 at 12:10 pm #

    Overcooked or not, it was delicious!

    • Tommie August 14, 2014 at 12:19 pm #

      Good! I couldn’t say because I don’t eat corn on the cob in public.

Leave a Reply to Mary Jane Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.