The woman from the pulmonologist’s office called yesterday to remind me of today’s appointment. I left the house in plenty of time to get there and was signing in a half hour early. What a way to celebrate my sister’s birthday!

My cousin had an appointment of her own and her twin brother’s wife was having a procedure done at the same Mother Ship satellite campus. It was a day for issues of one sort or other.

While I was waiting, I pulled out my cell phone and signed on to the public WiFi. I actually texted my cousin using my phone which is something I rarely to never do. We had a brief conversation before I was called back to be weighed (I’d gained four lubs since August of last year) and then I was shown to the Torture Chamber.

I hate doing the pulmonary function test. I asked the tech if she ever considered recording the instructions and just hitting a “play” button. I have no idea how long it took but it seemed forever. If I’m unlucky enough to have it again, I’ll try to remember to time it.

There were magazines available and I read a Woman’s Day cover to cover without skipping many of the articles at all.

The doctor only sees patients in the office now and things went relatively quickly last time. I expected the same today but it didn’t happen. Well over an hour past my appointment, I was still waiting to see the doctor.

Finally, my name was called and I was shown to an exam room. I don’t know what has happened to my phone but the only game on it is Angry Birds. I used to have a maze and MahJong. Or maybe that was on my iPod. Anyway, I played Angry Birds a little and then a woman in a white lab coat came in. She introduced herself as a resident and launched into getting my medical history. I’m asked the same questions every time I go in.

She listened to my heart & lungs and looked at my ankles. I asked about crackles and she said she heard some mild ones at the base of my lungs.

After she went out, I got off the table and sat on a chair.

When the doctor came in, I had to get back on the exam table. He did his own exam and was teaching the resident as he went. So now I know why things went more slowly today.

He fussed at me for not having the barium swallow and wanted to know why I hadn’t. I told him that without a definitive treatment available, I couldn’t see doing a test to confirm a diagnosis. I said I still had the order, though. He asked me what I was going to do with it? Flush it? I told him I was thinking of framing it. He laughed at that and said it wasn’t worth it. Begrudgingly, I said I’d consider the swallow. That’s when he wound up the visit and went out. A nurse came in with a card with my next appointment date and time and I left, $30 poorer.

I’d written my info on my parking stub and handed it to the gatekeeper on the way out of the parking garage. She had to see my card so I dug it out of my purse and gave it to her. Writing the expiration date on the stub, she gave the card back and let me go through. So…next time, I’ll write the date along with my name and member number. Otherwise, parking is $1 but $1 is $1.

It was going on 5 o’clock local DST time and I dreaded traffic. I prayed it wouldn’t be too bad. There’s one tricky turn that is always busy but, lo!! it wasn’t today. I thanked the Lord and drove on.

There was a backup of traffic on one of the main roads that was stop and go for several miles but, other than that, it wasn’t bad at all.

ALDI was a must stop. The avocados had gone up 20 cents and the blueberries 70 cents but I got some, anyway. There were only two or three mangoes and none of them appealed to me so I let them be.

At Walmart, it was an entirely different story. There were loads of mangoes—for 42 cents each! The ad for 99 cents a lub nectarines, peaches and plums was still good so I got what I thought were two different kinds of nectarines but one of them is actually peaches.

It was after 6 TT when I pulled into the driveway and went to feed the critters. Four of the five Catz showed up but I think the fifth one was over here.

After I unloaded, I drank my water and fixed my supper before I put things away. It was after 7 when I finished eating.

Twinkle is lurking. She’s been fed, too, but not for the night. I’m tired so I think I’ll take care of her needs and go to bed.

2 Responses to Torture

  1. Lila July 11, 2014 at 5:31 am #

    Not the best kind of day for you! How often are these appointments?

    • Tommie July 11, 2014 at 9:21 am #

      Approximately every four months. The next appointment card doesn’t say anything about a PFT, though. 😀

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.