Situation Critical

When I checked my store of toilet paper, I found I was down to my last four rolls. That’s ‘way too few. I’m happiest (as far as hip ribbon is concerned) when I have at least a dozen extra. That’s something that will have to be restocked—and soon.

It’s been hotter today than it was yesterday. I really do need to find a better place for the sensor that’s at the end of the house. At 2:59 this afternoon (TT), the temperature it recorded was 104 degrees. Now, I know that can’t be right.

This morning, I’d waited until it was hotter outside than in. That was the signal to go around and close all the windows to keep the hot air out. I guess it worked because it “only” got up to 82 where I’m sitting right now. The kitchen was warmer than that. I have no way of knowing what the high was in my bathroom because that thermometer has no min/max.

It wasn’t long after all the window-closing that the doorbell rang. It was my cousin. She came in to visit for a few minutes and spied the large step stool in front of the love seat. Wanting to know what it was for, I told her I’d had to replace the light in the ceiling fan. She gave me a scolding and told me I’m not supposed to be climbing around like that. Well, if I don’t, who will??

You may recall my charge for updating Genese’s computer was that she would beat me at Wordscraper. She paid her bill today.

Paid in Full

And then she created another board.

The Current Wordscraper Board

I won’t show the rest of it because that might tip my hand. I can tell you the scores for her word (VODKA) and my word (AMBOINA) are 681 and 20,096, respectively. I don’t think that’s quite what she had in mind when she played her word but you can never tell what will happen down the road.

This afternoon, I printed and cut out coupons. I have an abundance of coupons for almond milk. It will be a long time before I have to pay full price.

Late this evening, I got an email saying my dresses were on their way. If history repeats itself, they should be here before the end of the week. It will be nice to have a change.

The windows are open again and the fan is blowing on me. The temperature has “dropped” to a little less than 80.

I’ve been trying to create a letter to my friend in federal prison. His birthday is a week from today and I don’t want to send just a card.

Twinkle’s food is getting low but not as low as I thought. I had the idea she only had two cans left but there were three. No matter. She’d run out before the end of the week either way. I called the vet and they are holding a case of Feline y/d for me. That means yet another hole in my bank account. Woe is me!

8 Responses to Situation Critical

1. Lila May 7, 2014 at 6:56 am #

Wondering two things – where do you get your words for Wordscraper without spending a lot of time doing it, and the same for coupons. Most coupon sites have so many, I have given up wading through all of them to get the few I might use, and I have not been very successful in going to the individual sites for them. And obviously, it is legal to use proper nouns in Wordscraper, though not in Scrabble. I had never heard of your word before, so looked it up.

• Tommie May 7, 2014 at 8:28 am #

I use a little program, MrWordy. Genese always picks a UK board rather than US because there are more words allowed. Amboina IS beautiful, isn’t it? Something our brother-in-law would have liked to have worked with back in the day. It isn’t a proper noun and neither is vodka so you’ve puzzled me.

Coupons? I use coupons.com and also coupons.walmart.com. They have many of the same ones and I can search by category. My “proofreading” comes in handy here since my eyes are trained to scan quickly for what I want. I signed up with Silk on their site and “like” their page on Facebook. They email links for coupons.

Bi-Lo will double most coupons up to 60 cents in value. Their policy can be found here.

• Lila May 8, 2014 at 7:39 am #

And you confused me, until I looked it up again (in the dictionary). Albonia is an island in Indonesia, and is listed separately as a wood. I didn’t see the second definition, and now realize you used the Internet. I usually do, don’t know why I did otherwise.

I may try the coupon sites you suggested, and I have doubled coupons at BiLo numerous times. Ingles double, too, but I don’t know if you have an Ingles close by.

• Tommie May 8, 2014 at 7:55 am #

You used a regular dictionary?? How quaint! 🙂 However, the word is “aMboINa”, not “aLboNIa”.

The closest Ingles is in Knoxville. The local one closed years ago. I have it in my list of ads to price match but their sale prices are much higher than the other stores.

2. Mary Jane May 7, 2014 at 4:28 pm #

I got your invite to the Silk site, but can’t print the coupons. They say I have to install the coupon printer, and I’ve tried, but can’t make it work. They also say if you have trouble to reply to their email, which I have done, but haven’t heard back from them.

• Tommie May 7, 2014 at 4:56 pm #

The coupon printer shouldn’t be a problem. Are you using Chrome?

3. Mary Jane May 7, 2014 at 8:43 pm #

• Tommie May 7, 2014 at 8:47 pm #

I don’t know why it wouldn’t work, then.