A Symphony for One

Yesterday was routine. Looking out at the deck, I could see the storms that came through had put down a lot of water. I don’t know how much because every spring, I buy a new rain gauge. Every winter, I fail to bring it in. The cold weather causes it to burst and I’m back where I started—no way to measure the rainfall. Weatherbug says the closest weather station got .9″ so we’ll go with that. There were a few rumbles of thunder and flashes of lightning but, other than that, it was a quiet night.

Twinkle had been sitting on my lap, begging to be petted. I gave her a good workout and when I got up to go to the bedroom, my robe could have almost passed for a fur coat. I’d washed it the day before but it got another run in the washer with the other few dirty clothes. I dread warmer weather only because of her shedding. If she’d wear it year ’round, it would be nice.

I’d thought my cousin said she was coming home so I didn’t feed the critters. I did a multitude of other things but if I showed my face outside of the house, I was mobbed.

This morning, I looked out and there was no activity at the house. I felt bad because I had assumed and not asked. Texting my cousin, I let her know I could feed the critters when I got home from church.

It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Not a cloud was in the sky. I left the house thinking I had everything I was supposed to but there was this little something in the back of my mind that said I didn’t. Close to two miles later, I realized I didn’t have my hearing aids. I turned around and came home.

When I put the aids in, I pushed the “automatic” button on the remote, then the button that will show the battery charges on the display. The left one was showing a full charge. The right one, not so much. I had spares with me so I didn’t stop to change them.

I’d made it through Sabbath School and into the meditation period (I almost put “medication”) when my right hearing aid went ♪♫♪♫ DO DE DO DE DO DO DE ♪♫♪♫. That’s the signal for a dying battery. It’s a cheerful little sound and not at all the dirge you’d think it should be. Nothing I could do about it then. I was stuck on the organ bench for the next who knew how long.

Every now and then, I’d hear ♪♫♪♫ DO DE DO DE DO DO DE ♪♫♪♫. I thought it would eventually just quit but the death of a hearing aid battery is a long-drawn-out process. It doesn’t die easily. It agonizes, wanting company and by and by, the left one joined in. ♪♫♪♫ DO DE DO DE DO DO DE ♪♫♪♫. They took turns and the noisier things became, the more frequently they serenaded me.

There was a short video during the announcement time. I’d thought I’d run to the bathroom (well, walk) but it featured someone who has been a fairly regular speaker at our church so I stayed and watched. Then it was back to the organ.

We had our transitional song (“Sweet, Sweet Spirit”), then I started in on the prelude. I played and played, stretched out the first song and played another by ear. I’ve been watching for the elders and deacons at the door from the foyer since the signal light has been out of commission. I kept looking but nothing. Finally, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the signal light come on. It was news to me that it was working.

I made it through the scheduled songs, prayers, whatever, with frequent ♪♫♪♫ DO DE DO DE DO DO DE ♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫ DO DE DO DE DO DO DE ♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫ DO DE DO DE DO DO DE ♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫ DO DE DO DE DO DO DE ♪♫♪♫. It was only after the special music that I could do anything about the problem.

That’s when I made my way to the bathroom but I didn’t have my purse with me. Oh, well. I’d put up with it and turn them off if need be. However, with the lowered overall volume of the pastor preaching, the ♪♫♪♫ DO DE DO DE DO DO DE ♪♫♪♫’s seemed to go away and my aids were still working.

During the closing song, they sang along but I was the only one who could hear them. At least the audiologist has assured me I’m the only one privy to the sound effects.

The Computer Owner had invited me to lunch. I had to decline because I had to come home and feed critters. Also, I didn’t have my NAC with me and I hadn’t left much food for Twinkle. I took a raincheck.

One of my friends had brought me some Vegenaise and I’d taken her tapioca. We swapped and I was on my way home. I turned my aids off and was serenaded no more.

When I got here, one of my cousin’s vans was parked in the driveway. I didn’t need to feed the critters after all.

Coming into the house, it occurred to me that I had a splitting headache. I took out my hearing aids, popped the batteries into the trash and put the aids to bed.

I’ve had a quiet afternoon with Twinkle and my headache has subsided quite a bit. I’ve had my meal (it served as both lunch and dinner/supper) and I’ll go to bed soon. It’s about that time.

2 Responses to A Symphony for One

  1. Mary Jane February 26, 2014 at 3:21 pm #

    In your ear there rings a melody…

    • Tommie February 26, 2014 at 3:30 pm #

      Over and over and over and…

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.