Threescore and Ten

I’ve fulfilled my destiny according to Psalm 90:10. “The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.” We’ll see if I’m strong enough to make it to fourscore. And then I’ll be free to fly away.

As is my custom, when I got up yesterday morning, I did my body test. Here’s what greeted me after I had selected my Mii.

Too Smart

The balance board had been bouncing around but it got bored and took a nap because I was so long getting my camera.

Then it revived when I clicked the remote. My Wii Fit Age for my birthday was 20.


Genese had my traditional birthday board waiting for me.

Birthday Wordscraper

I was off to a good start.

Breakfast was lighter than usual because I knew I would be having a big meal in not too many hours. I checked my email and there was a gift from DD. She’d consulted my wish list on Amazon and gave me the Prashad Cookbook: Indian Vegetarian Cooking. It’s the Kindle Edition and I don’t have a Kindle. That’s okay. I have Kindle for PC and I can access it from the cloud. If, someday, I ever have a Kindle…

DS1 called and sang a happy birthday song to me. DD called me later and wished me a happy birthday but didn’t sing.

There’s been cold air coming in around the dryer. I determined to find out why. I got my little step stool and peered behind it. There’s a space around the exhaust hose that is big enough that I can see the ground. No wonder I’ve had mice getting in! There haven’t been any lately but that’s big enough for large rats! I can’t get to it to plug it up so I’ll just hope no critters take advantage of it.

DS1 called and said they would be leaving soon. We decided it would be best for me to meet them at the restaurant. He would call me from a certain point so we’d get there about the same time. They were waiting for me when I pulled into the parking lot.


We went in and the place was almost deserted. There were a few people eating but not many. It seems we had hit it at a good time because, later, the place started filling up.

As soon as we were seated, a basket of chips and a carafe of salsa with four little bowls were brought to the table. The chips were very fresh as was the salsa and we dug in. It wasn’t long before we had to ask for more salsa and it was brought with more chips.

The waitress was very nice but she was new. When I pointed out that it said “authentic”, I asked if that meant the beans are cooked with lard. She said no, that they use vegetable oil. She passed that test. I ordered a bean burrito and she indicated on the menu that I could get one with extra beans, rice, lettuce and pico de gallo. I went for it. I stressed no cheese or sour cream and I ordered a side of guacamole. I’d read reviews of the restaurant and they all raved about the food.

DS1 fortified my directions not to have any dairy and he included no meat. It reminded me of a cartoon I’d seen on Facebook:


The others put in their orders and we munched.

It didn’t take long for the food to come out and it was everything the reviews said it was—fresh and tasty. I was in hog heaven. I was enjoying the salsa and said I could eat a quart of it. DS1 got up from the table and when he came back, he had what must’ve been a 32 ozzie cup of salsa for me to take home. I was horrified. There was no way I could use that much. I talked him into going back to get another cup and we split it.

The owner’s son had brought some of the food to the table and I asked him if they didn’t have another location (thinking it might be closer to the others). He said yes, but it’s still too far away. Then he mentioned they have a food truck type setup in an area that sounded familiar but I figured it would be going the other direction out of town. Turns out it’s pretty close to me. Oh, woe! Temptation!! I’ve driven by it hundreds of times but never thought to stop. He said the menu is the same. DS1 got us each a menu but I think it was supposed to go together. Mine has 1-8 on one side and 33-40 on the other.

I’d tanked up on the chips and salsa so I brought half my food home. I’ll eat it tomorrow.

From there, we went to Walmart. I introduced them to “my” produce guy and then we started shopping. I was zoned in on something when one of them told me to look around. One of my old friends from the hospital was standing there, smiling. I’d seen her on Friday before my gallbladder surgery on Tuesday and she said I look much better. I certainly hope so. We visited a little while, then went on. DS1 said I know everybody in there. Not quite.

I picked up a refill on a prescription and another thing or two and we went to check out. They were being generous and put my things with theirs. I said, “I think I should let you know—my prescription is $116.” It was DS1’s turn to look horrified and he said, “We’ll pay for these but you’ll have to pay for that.” “Oh, no! No! You’ll have to pay for it, too. That’s the deal.” My DIL didn’t quite know what to do but I put the prescription with the rest of the things. She seemed relieved when it was just $4. Was that mean or was that mean?

On our way out, I spied my friend in Customer Service and went in to say hello. She’d already wished me a happy birthday on Facebook (as had a myriad of other friends) but she said it out loud. I asked how she’s doing. I noticed she wasn’t wearing the thing that is supposed to bring her back to life if she fell over dead. She said no, she’d taken it off against medical advice. I’ll keep praying for her. She was duly introduced to my family, too.

We got to the cars, hugged and went our separate ways. I stopped at Bi-Lo and bought a couple of things Walmart didn’t have.

When I got home, I unloaded everything including a beautiful plant they’d brought me. I set it in the middle of the dining table and, after I got things put away, I collapsed.

DS2 called and we had a good visit. Later, I had a message on Facebook from my DIL asking if I got my gift. They’d sent me an Amazon gift card. I’ve been well celebrated.

This morning, the plant was drooping. I was distressed. It had been so pretty. I tried to water it but it was so dry, the water mostly ran off onto the table. I could feel a little in the bottom so I left it and hoped for the best.

Today was fellowship meal. I got out the chili, put it in the crockpot, added some more water to it (it was still ‘way too thick) and started it heating. It was warm by the time I was ready to leave.

At the start of the Sabbath School class, I took the crockpot into the fellowship hall and plugged it up, turning it on low.

I’d made it pretty well into the service when I got the cart before the horse and was all set up for the offering when it was supposed to be the prayer. I had to switch the book I had on the music rack for the hymnal and change the combination. The pastor said it was only seconds but it felt like minutes to me. I seemed to have a penchant for hitting wrong notes today, too. Maybe I could blame it on my age?

When I got to the fellowship hall, my crockpot had been put on the table. I stirred it and it wasn’t hot. I took it back to the kitchen, plugged it in and turned it on high.

Lunch was delayed because of the committee to nominate the nominating committee was meeting with the pastor. Someone finally went to get them so we could eat.

My chili was hot by then and I must say it was good today. I had a couple of servings, myself. I really didn’t want to bring any home and I was rescued by one of the ladies dashing in from feeding her animals. She was looking for leftovers. I filled a container for her, then gave the rest to one of DD’s former classmates. That’s the way I like for it to work out.

The pastor had been interested to find out about the Mexican restaurant. He said he was running out of options for Date Night. I told him he could take his wife to the food truck one and they could sit in the car to eat. One the way home, though, I noted they have a picnic table or two set up under a shelter. That will be neat in the summer months. I believe that’s the only season it’s open, anyway.

When I got to the house, I was gratified to see my plant. I’d called it a gloxinia but it isn’t. I’ve tried to find it online but I haven’t. Maybe someone can tell me what it is.


Twinkle has been duly petted and I’ve dozed in my chair this afternoon. Tomorrow is the Women’s Prayer Breakfast and I’ve thought I’d go but I’m tired. I’ve had three intense days in a row and I need a break.

6 Responses to Threescore and Ten

  1. Mary Jane February 9, 2014 at 9:37 am #

    Don’t be so sure that you’ll be ready (and willing) to fly away when you reach fourscore!

    Could the plant be a begonia? It’s beautful, whatever it is.

    • Tommie February 9, 2014 at 10:25 am #

      Yes, ma’am.

      I looked up begonia but I’ll do it again. Maybe some Plant Person can identify it if I can’t find it. There’s usually something saying what it is and giving care instructions but I haven’t found anything yet. The foliage does look like a begonia but none of the flowers I’ve seen on google images come close.

  2. Juanita S February 10, 2014 at 12:09 am #

    I remembered today–it’s a cyclamen! Someone gave one to me as a gift quite a while ago–they are pretty!

    • Tommie February 10, 2014 at 8:41 am #

      Yes, it is!! Thank you! Mine is starting to drop its flowers. 🙁

  3. Lila February 27, 2014 at 9:02 pm #

    I was going to identify your plant, but Juanita S. beat me to it. Maybe you should read up on it. Seems to me they go dormant and seem to be dead, but if you’re patient, they revive and bloom again. At least I think we had a cyclamen that went through such stages.

    • Tommie February 27, 2014 at 9:12 pm #

      I’ve read up on it. I don’t water it from the top. I have it sitting in a container with aquarium gravel and put water in it occasionally. It likes a humid environment and it will eventually go dormant. Right now, though, it’s still budding and blooming.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.