I Won’t Change

There’s something strange going on with my alarm clock. It will be turned off for days and suddenly decide to wake me. My last post had this sentence, “Maybe I need to set the alarm so I can get up and be more productive.” Yesterday morning, the alarm alarmed. That was the day after I made that pronouncement. Now, tell me if that isn’t weird.

Dali Clock

Another thing I’d decided to do was exercise in the morning and see if that got me going. I did and it did. There were a lot of things left undone but I was proud of what I accomplished.

I was hoping I wouldn’t have to go to town yesterday but I was getting low on too many things so I went. I called my cousin to ask if she wanted anything from the Apple House since I was going there, too. Nope. She was good.

At Walmart, I had to walk from one end of the store to the other more than once. There was more walking at the Apple House and it took several trips to unload when I got home. I was so exhausted, I didn’t have the energy to cut up some Camparis for supper so I just had leftovers.

Oh, by the way—when I was at the Apple House, I wandered into the restaurant to see what might be had in the way of a decadent dessert to bring home. I haven’t had any of their wares for years and I figured once in that long wouldn’t kill me. After questioning them about ingredients, it was concluded that the only vegan option was an apple cider slushie. Disappointed, I left there empty-handed.

When I looked at my pedometer, I was shocked. I don’t know how long it had been since I haven’t been getting my steps in but now I know it was yesterday. The numbers jumped out at me–over 11,000. A big day for me for a long time has been 6-7,000. No wonder I was tired. (I dreamed last night that the second time I looked at the pedometer, it had 22k steps.)

I’d had several coughing episodes during the day so I didn’t take any chances. Needing sleep, I took some cough medicine before I went to bed.

Lately, I’ve had the luxury of sleeping through the night with a couple trips to the bathroom. Last night, I would get into bed and settled down and my bladder would say, “Get up! get up! get up!” and I’d get up. After midnight, I woke with excessive sweating and leg cramps. I tried to massage the cramps away but wasn’t making much of a difference. At 12:44 TT, I got up and took a pain pill.

I don’t know if the alarm clock malfunctioned (I’d actually set it last night) or if I slept through the beeping but I woke after the sky was beginning to get light.

There were no two ways about it. I’d had a shower yesterday but I couldn’t let it count for today after last night. It may seem strange but I can take a bath more quickly than I can shower. I’d already taken care of the rest of my morning routine including breakfast. When I got out of the tub and started getting dressed, it was time for me to leave. I called a friend’s cell phone and asked her to let the pianist know I’d be late.

Song service was over and the opening song was being sung when I got to the church. I took my bulletin and wrote in the songs I’d be using for the prelude and offertory. Then my bulletin disappeared. I have no idea what happened to it. I hunted and hunted but it was gone. I got another one, wrote in the info and composed a note to the pianist about the new order of service.

I know the guest speaker thought I was being disruptive but I had to find out what was going on since the bulletin had repeats and omissions. I took the note over to the pianist and she was able to fill me in.

The Sabbath School teacher ended the lesson study right on time and it was up to me to fill the next 10 minutes with organ music. I played four songs through twice with variations and started over. I’d repeated the first one when the song leaders came to the front.

The second song service out of the way made room for the welcome and announcements. Then the congregation sang “Sweet. Sweet Spirit” after which I launched into the prelude.

The rest of the service was much the same as usual except prayer request cards had been handed out with the bulletins. I’d filled mine out and turned it in. It was one of two that the elder had. Mine requested prayer for my nephew, Genese and me.

After church, I was gathering up my things and one of the ladies wanted to know if I needed help. I’d carried them in. I reckon I could carry them out but I guess my request made her think I’m more decrepit than I am.

It had been a long time since I’d gone to see Genese. I got to the nursing home a bit past 12:30. On the way to her room, one of the environmental services guys stopped me and asked if I had retired. I told him yes, two years ago. He wanted to know how I liked it. I had to admit it was one of the best things I’ve ever done. Maybe another employee is waiting in the wings?

Genese and I split a carton of coconut water. We visited for almost two hours. She caught me up on who’s retired (not surprised), who is having health problems and the new smoke-free policy going into effect on November 21 which is the Great American Smokeout. Some of the employees aren’t happy (I’m so glad I’m not there to hear the griping). There will be no tobacco products at all allowed within three blocks of the campuses. Smoking won’t even be allowed in vehicles. Genese is looking forward to being able to have her windows open in the spring without smoke wafting in.

Beginning January 1, no tobacco users will be hired. The ones who currently smoke/dip/chew will be grandfathered in but they still won’t be allowed to have tobacco products anywhere close to the grounds. The hospital was smoke-free when I was working but the employees would go to the nursing home to smoke. Now that’s going away, too. I wonder what they’ll do about residents who smoke.

I could have stayed the rest of the afternoon but I left about 2:30.

For the first time in weeks, I fixed a salad and had that with a baked potato. I’ve not been in a salad mood. It was good and I may be back in the salad mode again tomorrow. Time will tell.

Speaking of time, this is the designated “fall back” day. I don’t have to change my clocks. Lots of people out there will get the hour back I never lost. One of my sisters is glad to get it back. The other wishes Daylight Saving time would be year ’round but just think of those poor children who would be out in the cold waiting for the school bus an hour before sunrise.

I’m wondering how it’s going with DD. She’s spending the weekend in a tiny house. I won’t hear from her tomorrow if she can’t get a signal on her cell phone.

I almost forgot! The check WAS in the mail! It came today so I’m officially rich.

Twinkle is dozing and waiting for me to fill her food bowl. I’m about to doze off, myself. After last night, I’m ready for some refreshing sleep.

2 Responses to I Won’t Change

  1. Mary Jane November 3, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

    What about the Apple House’s fried pies? Only the last I knew they were baked instead of fried.

    I’m surprised that smoking was still being allowed in the nursing home there.

    • Tommie November 3, 2013 at 9:31 pm #

      The crust is made with milk.

      Smoking is allowed (until November 21) in the gazebo not far from Genese’s room. In the winter, plastic has been put around it to shelter the smokers from the cold since they aren’t allowed to smoke inside the facility. I wonder if it will be put up this year.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.