Two-tone Ears

Twinkle hadn’t even taken up her moaning post when I walked out of the bedroom. I think I surprised her. When I did my body test, I came in with a Wii Fit Age of 20. I don’t remember how many times that’s happened this month but my balance test came in a perfect 50% for each side. That’s something that is pretty rare—maybe the fourth time since I’ve been testing.

The day started out bright and sunny and the a/c switched on by noon Tommie Time. It’s early in the day for that. As the afternoon wore on, the clouds started building. The rain started out rather gently but it got harder and harder until it pounded down. It didn’t last long and when I emptied the rain gauge, it showed 5/8″.

My appointment with the audiologist was at 2:30 TT. When I opened the front door, I was met by the sight of two packages. One was kelp noodles that I ordered on sale. I couldn’t leave them out in the heat. Usually, the UPS man rings the doorbell but he didn’t today. I grabbed a knife and one of my large shopping bags and set to work unloading the box. I filled the bag as full as I dared and finished off with a small box.

It was 10 minutes until my appointment time when I pulled out of the driveway. I just knew I’d be late but I got to the office at 2:31 TT and she was still busy with a client. I settled down with a Reader’s Digest to pass the time.

A couple came out and the male half asked me how a man and a fish are alike. He laughed hard at his own joke when he told me, “They both get into trouble when they open their mouths!” He noticed my Tek remote and he asked if I could use it with the TV and telephone. When I said yes, he remarked that he really liked it. So do I.

A few minutes later I was taken into the Inner Sanctum. She had me take my left hearing aid off so she could listen to it with her stethoscope and hear the static. Nada. Nothing. I told her it comes and goes. She said she hates the intermittent problems because they always seemed to behave when they shouldn’t. Taking the stem off, she ran a cleaning straw through the tube and out came some Stuff. The aid, itself, was clean. She put it back together and handed it to me. I put it on and it started the static. “Quick! Hand it to me!” I did and she was able to hear it. She pronounced it a bad mic and gave it back to me.

We discussed hearing aids and nursing home residents and how no one where Genese is has ever had experience ordering aids for anyone. She said it made her sad because that means Genese probably isn’t the only one in need. I wonder how many residents are off in their own little worlds because they can’t hear.

As I prepared to leave, she asked me if I wanted to wait until my aid pooped out completely or if I wanted her to send it in for repair or replacement—something Seimens will decide. I told her I’d just as soon go ahead and get it taken care of. She got her box of “loaners” and found one that would do until mine comes back. It’s gray where mine is gold.

She plugged me into the computer and proceeded to delete the program that belonged to the last person who wore it. It works with the Tek but it only has three programs rather than the five mine has. I had to be very quiet while she paired it with my right aid and the Tek. That took several minutes. Then she set the volume on it. Mine will go out in the morning. She said they’re good about the turnaround time but I still don’t know how long I’ll have to wear this one.

I can tell a difference in the sound quality. I don’t know how many adjustments this one has but it’s nowhere near what I’m used to. I’m sure I’ll have to wear it to church. That will prove interesting. Besides the setting for the Tek, I have automatic and noisy. I’m used to having music and outdoors, too. Oh well, it isn’t forever.

My supper was three of the sorry mangoes that aren’t Ciruli Brothers and a kiwifruit that was ripe enough to eat but little flavor plus a little less than half an avocado mashed up on two pieces of gluten-free toast. It was sprinkled with kala namak.

The information for Genese’s aids is slowly coming together. The doctor’s order is the only thing that’s missing. Medicare has to be billed first to get a denial and then TennCare. Her phone came today and she is thrilled. Here’s the phone and this is the remote control pendant. Nursing wouldn’t attempt to set it up so she has to wait until tomorrow when the maintenance man will be called upon. She thanked me for making it possible but it was the audiologist who had me take her the form. I was just the courier.

When I dosed Twinkle tonight, a lot of it went on one of my long-sleeved t-shirts advertising my ex-hospital. I sprayed it thoroughly with Spray ‘n Wash. If it doesn’t come out, it’s no big deal.

10 Responses to Two-tone Ears

  1. Genese May 23, 2013 at 1:35 am #

    But, my dear Tommie, I would not have connected with the audiologist at all if not for you. Thank you for sharing the gift of being able to hear again.

    • Tommie May 23, 2013 at 8:45 am #

      Well, THAT’S true. It boggles my mind that hearing status isn’t part of the routine at the nursing home. It evidently is elsewhere.

  2. Juanita May 25, 2013 at 2:37 am #

    I’ve been getting cases of Ciruli Brothers mangos from Sam’s, and they are exceptionally not good currently. I cut about 7 this morning and only about 2 1/2 were edible. 🙁 Until the last couple of boxes, they were good with only 1 or 2 bad ones. They are dark inside mostly, and taste not right. I don’t know if the spray of tiny green spots on the outside mean anything about what is inside, but they seem to so far…

    • Tommie May 25, 2013 at 7:56 am #

      That is so sad, Juanita! I would ask for a refund.

      Dark inside usually means they have been refrigerated. When I’m able to order any from Walmart (but that was eons ago), I would tell them NOT to refrigerate them. Mangos are like tomatoes and bananas. They suffer under cold storage.

  3. Lila May 27, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

    What is a bad mic?

    • Tommie May 27, 2013 at 9:50 pm #

      My hearing aids each have three microphones and one in the left one was bad. I hope it will be back soon. The loaner isn’t nearly as high a quality.

  4. Juanita June 1, 2013 at 1:02 am #

    Thank you for the information! I went back to Sam’s yesterday, had a nice chat (listen 😉 ) with a guy in produce–they don’t refrigerate the mangoes at Sam’s; then I talked to one of the managers who was also extremely nice. He said they changed “DCs” (distribution company??) 7 or 8 months ago and aren’t very happy with them. They ship the dead things in the same truck as the produce–separated by a partition he was quick to add–and the dead things are colder. Evidently sometimes the produce gets too close to the partition and that could be what happened to the mangoes, as it was about half a case. They have a 200% guarantee on their food, and he had membership issue me a $10 gift card!!! Thanks to you!!! (The cases are $7.98 each–I have 3 here right now.)

    • Tommie June 1, 2013 at 7:52 am #

      You’re welcome and wow! that was a nice chat/listen! It’s kind of gross that they ship things that way—even with a partition. I’m assuming you mean dead animal parts. I hope you have better luck with these!

  5. Juanita June 2, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

    Yes, dead animal parts 😀 And so far so good–half a case gone. Guess I’ll have to take the ripest ones with when we leave for Weimar for the convocation Tuesday…forgot that was so soon!

    • Tommie June 2, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

      Ah! Weimar! I had a complete set of Zane Kime’s audio tapes about the 80/10/10 diet. That’s what caused the bell to ring with 80/10/10 raw vegan.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.