Day 38 and Counting

April 11 was when I was fitted with my hearing aids and it’s been like a roller coaster ever since. I get used to a setting and the aud changes it. She tweaks it here, adds more power there. The last time I went in, she really boosted the volume and I’ve been having to turn them down. It’s all part of the process but it throws me off kilter.

For no apparent reason, I stayed up too late Thursday night. Yesterday, I didn’t feel extremely good when I got up but I needed to get around in spite of it. I’d promised to take my cousin-in-law to get his truck somewhere between 10 and 11 Tommie Time.

Checking with him about the time he wanted to leave, he said noon my time. That was 1 o’clock his. He wanted to give the mechanic the extra hour to be sure to get things done. It was fine with me. I was surprised when he showed up at the front door saying we could go whenever I was ready even though it was half an hour earlier than he’d said. It was starting to sprinkle. He figured it would be better if I didn’t have to drive in the rain.

We got to the shop and he laughed when he saw his truck. It was parked exactly where he’d left it. I told him I’d wait while he went in to find out what was going on.

Some time later, he came out and said they were still waiting for a part. We headed for Walmart.

On the way home, I didn’t even try to run the a/c. We hadn’t needed it on the way down but going up the mountain, it’s touch and go. Windows rolled down, the wind noise was pretty loud.

Back home, I was a bit energized. It was enough that I did two loads of laundry, changed the bed and washed dishes. I’d copied a recipe off Facebook for oatmeal cookies. It calls for three ripe bananas and I could kick myself now for not getting some of those 27 cents a lub bananas Walmart was trying to get rid of. The cookies turned out to be pretty good. I can’t let well enough alone so I cut the amount of spice and vanilla and added kala namak and black walnuts.

I was messaging with my aud and she asked me to find out what kind of aids Genese wants. After quizzing Genese, she settled on behind the ear, preferably Alabama Crimson Tide red. If she can’t get that, she’ll settle for maroon or green, mauve or purple. I feel rather plain with my gold ones.

My left aid started tweeting. I eventually figured out it was telling me the battery was getting low. I checked with the remote and, sure enough, it was drained while the right one was still going strong. When I had my adjustment, there was another battery lying on the desk. When the aud picked it up to put it in my aid, I asked about the one that was over to the right. She explained it was from another client’s aid and threw it in the trash. I do believe it was mine. So…I’ve replaced a battery for the first time. Lucky me.

Last night, I slept reasonably well. I’d run the a/c to get the house cooled down. For some reason, my ancient travel alarm clock has decided to alarm two mornings in a row even though it was turned off. This morning, I was already up.

It was supposed to rain. I hadn’t heard anything but when I opened the door to check, I saw my cousin had come home and was sitting on the steps going to their back door. She was feeding the cat. I went over and visited for a few minutes.

The cat has turned out to be a female calico rather than a male. On top of that revelation, she has five kittens, probably about a month old. My CIL says a couple of them are really pretty. I haven’t seen them so I can’t vouch for that.

Church was interesting. I’d gone early—again—and found that I wasn’t early enough—again. The greeters were there and while we were talking, the pianist and her family came in. The pianist expressed an interest in my remote and wanted to know what it was. I explained it and the various settings to her.

She waited for me to play a bit on the organ so I could see what the music program sounded like. I found I could tone the piano down without affecting the sound of the organ if I did it while she played the introductions. What I couldn’t do was compensate for the trumpet and I ended up with a headache—again. It was loud in the extreme. I need to have the trumpeter play some all by himself so I can turn the volume down on just that one instrument.

During Sabbath School class, the teacher had me come up and read the first and third stanzas to the only song in the hymnal based on Micah 6:8, #571, “What Does the Lord Require“. She read the second one.

I had to keep adjusting for volume and trying to dampen the harsh sound of the voices. It was hard to get much out of the time spent there because I was constantly fooling with the remote. I’ve been praying about whether or not to get better aids and am resigned to staying with these if that’s how it works out but the latest adjustment is really hard to adjust to.

The pastor’s wife was disappointed I wasn’t staying for lunch. I hadn’t taken anything. I’m sure I wouldn’t have starved but all I wanted to do was to get home to a quieter place.

I went to get some field peas out of the freezer and found a cabinet door or something on it. Alerting my cousin, she came out and moved it. It was a shelf to a bookcase/storage cabinet she’d bought at auction for $3. It’s a Broyhill and the sales slip was still in the drawer. It was over $500 and $165 of that was for delivery. She said it’s mine if I want it. I have no idea where I’ll put it but I need a bookcase. It’s very sweet of her to think of me.

Twinkle has spent a large part of the afternoon on my lap which means I’ve been pretty much stationary. I’m tired.

It’s started raining again. I was hoping to eat some watermelon today but I like to do that when it’s hot and the sun is shining. It’s been cloudy all day. About 2, I went out and emptied the rain gauge of a little over 1/2″. Weatherbug says we are to have precipitation to one degree or another three days in the coming week. Guess it will make the carrots grow.

4 Responses to Day 38 and Counting

  1. Lila May 19, 2013 at 8:34 am #

    My hearing aids may not do as good a job as yours, but they certainly are easier to adjust! Hope yours are soon where they will do the best job for you.

    • Tommie May 19, 2013 at 8:49 am #

      Mine are being adjusted to compensate for my hearing loss in eight different “channels” and they remember what I do to hear better. They don’t just amplify.

  2. Mary Jane May 19, 2013 at 9:53 am #

    And I can’t get used to wearing my simple ones! Most of the time I don’t really need them, but it’s good to have them at those other times.

    That bookcase was a wonderful buy for her. Broyhill is good furniture. Hope you can find a place for it.

    • Tommie May 19, 2013 at 10:15 am #

      I wear mine all day because they are also my “headphones”. I use them to listen to the Sabbath School discussion on, watch videos and I can have music “piped in” while I work around the house. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be as apt to.

      Here’s hoping I can find a place for it.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.