My Week: Payback is a B*tch

Sunday morning came and with it pain in my left arm down to my hand. The first thing that sprang to mind was my heart. On closer examination, though, I could trace the pain and it wasn’t following the “right” route. I could breathe easily. I remembered bragging to my sister-in-law I didn’t have anything in the house for pain because I rarely hurt and it was coming back to bite me.

When DD called, I told her I thought I was having carpal tunnel trouble. Even though it was early afternoon, I still hadn’t had breakfast. That cut our conversation short. I didn’t feel a whole lot like eating but I managed.

I had been Googling and found a concern that will sell sufferers a DVD for $47 that’s guaranteed to work or your money back. I was tempted to order it but decided I’d Google reviews. One person said that the same exercises could be found on youtube.

My late breakfast and, by then, intense pain discouraged me from eating anything else. I soaked in a tub of hot water and smeared my arm with Biofreeze. I went to bed early. I didn’t sleep well at all and was trying to keep my hand and arm straight so it wouldn’t aggravate whatever nerves that weren’t happy.

Monday, I could hardly function at all. While studying my Sabbath School lesson on SSNET, I found an error I couldn’t correct. I emailed the editor about it. I started thinking. If I died during the night (I felt that bad), I would want the lessons for the second quarter to be completed. I sucked it up and worked on them.

It was while I was sitting at the computer that things clicked. In all my Googling, I’d found that leaning on one’s elbow can cause the “funny bone” to be not so funny and flare up. I tend to lean on my elbow. I pulled up my sleeve. There was some definite swelling. I pushed on it rather tentatively and it was very tender. I went to the bathroom, got out the Biofreeze and anointed my arm again. This time, I gave the funny bone area some extra strokes.

Easing for a little while, I watched Andy Griffith and rebounded for 25 minutes.

When the distraction was over, the pain started taking center stage again. I called my neighbor/cousin but she didn’t have anything in the house but Tylenol. That wouldn’t help the swelling. I needed ibuprofen. Her other half would go out and get me some but I said no, not to make a special trip. I’d live. When we hung up, I couldn’t handle it any longer and I cried.

BUT, they don’t listen too well and it wasn’t long before there was a knock on the door. It was my cousin-in-law with a brand new bottle of ibuprofen. I told him I’d pay him the next day. “Whatever. Take one and lie down.” I said I’d eat (I didn’t want to take it on an empty stomach), take it and go to bed.

I Googled some more and found exercises on youtube:

I did them and couldn’t tell any difference.

The first of the 200 mg gel caps went down about 4:30. At about 12:30 I got up and took another. That was the last one I took. The next morning, the swelling was down and the pain was all but gone. I’d done a few stretches but not many since it’s advised to do them every other day.

Tuesday, I had hardly any pain at all and was able to accomplish a few things besides eating and sleeping. I called and told my cousin to have her husband meet me on the deck and I’d give him the money for the painkillers. He came over but wouldn’t take any money for them. He said I feed the critters for them. I didn’t know I was working when I did that.

On Wednesday, I went to town and got everything on my grocery list plus a few things for my cousin/neighbor. I still wasn’t back to 100% and felt, at one point in Walmart, I was going to pass out. I just kept walking and breathing and made it through.

When I unloaded and put all the stuff away, it seemed something was missing. I took the goodies over and visited for a little while.

Coming home, I realized what I had forgotten. Romaine! DUH!! How did I ever forget to get romaine? I looked at my list. The only thing on it starting with an “R” was “Return oranges”. I’d brought home a bag with a rotten one the week before. I called my cousin and asked her to pick me up a package of romaine hearts the next time she was at Walmart and I would pay her for them. She figured I already had. I figured I wouldn’t argue.

Thursday, I was in a downhill slide again. I just wasn’t feeling good at all. My cousin brought the romaine that night and hung it on my storm door. I heard a noise and I think we were both surprised when I opened the door and turned on the light.

Friday morning, I felt like I’d been hit by a Mack truck. I was chilling, every bone in my body ached. I’d been awakened in the night with the worst leg cramps I’ve ever had. My head ached. My eyes itched. The problem with my left arm flared up again. I had diarrhea off and on with a little nausea. And pee! I’ve never had to run to the bathroom as much in my life! In spite of all that, I did a load of laundry and changed the bed. By 7 p.m., I was down for the count. How many times I had to get up to go to the bathroom, I have no idea. I lost count after four.

I’d posted on Facebook that I felt like a big pile of sh*t. Now, that isn’t lady-like or proper but it described the state of affairs better than if I’d said, “I don’t feel good” or “I’m sick”. I let anyone who was reading know that it was a very good possibility I wouldn’t be at church the next day.

My sister saw my post but I guess she didn’t want to be associated with such crass language so rather than comment, she sent me an email. My other sister called and, after we talked for just a minute, her phone died. We played phone tag for a bit but when we connected she was merciful and didn’t ask too many questions. She did make sure I had plenty off food and would drink lots of water.

Crawling into the tub for the second time that day, I thawed myself out. Creeping to the bed, I slept fitfully.

This morning, I felt a little better and considered going to church. Getting up convinced me otherwise. When I did my body test, I’d lost two and a half lubs. Most of it had to be fluid. Twinkle and I have had a quiet day today.

I’ve been doing the exercises every other day. I can even do the “Waiter’s Tray” without dropping the plate most of the time. Rather than use a breakable plate, though, I use a plastic one. My arm is gradually getting better. I’ve only taken the two ibuprofen so far and hope I don’t have to take more. When I’m sitting down for any length of time, I try to remember to rest my arm on my earthing pad. According to Peach from the forum, it promotes healing. Anything that will work…She advises sleeping with it, too, but it’s distracting and I don’t rest well.

The Squatter never got around to doing any work around the place. I guess his brother sent him some money so he can vacate the premises and go to Phoenix. Whether it includes enough to take Pooky, too, I don’t know. I’m a bit skeptical about the whole thing and will believe he’s leaving when it has happened. Even then, it might take a week or two to sink in.

4 Responses to My Week: Payback is a B*tch

  1. Joanie Crosby March 31, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

    Your week sounds truly horrendous Tommie! I hope this next one is much better! By the by… I plan to speak to the other song leaders to encourage all to repeat the hymn numbers “into the mike” so that, hopefully, EVERYONE, will know what number we will be singing next… sorry I haven’t done it sooner!

    • Tommie March 31, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

      So far, it’s started out better. I’ve felt pretty good today. Pain wears me out worse than eight hours of manual labor.

      I’d appreciate hearing the numbers. I hope I’m not the only one who can’t hear them. Soon, I’ll have help but it will be two or three more weeks at best. And then the adjustment period starts. 😀

  2. Margaret April 13, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

    Tommie: For pain, all kinds, any kind (emotional, physical, psychic, whatever) I seriously rely on this one, Pain Management
    It is beautiful. You listen through (you will probably go to sleep the first time through), but you learn from it and then you do some things automatically later on. I’ve been using my CD for about 10 years. It works even for those times when you cannot get to sleep because your mind is going round and round. I love it.

    • Tommie April 13, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

      I’ll have to look into that. Thanks. I don’t have pain often. I think that’s why, when I do, it’s so disabling.

Leave a Reply to Tommie Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.