My Week: Life in the Fast Lane

Man! This is hard! I’m trying to figure out how to start this and I have the classic Writer’s Block. I give up trying to remember how many times I’ve typed something only to wipe it out. I suppose this is as good a way as any to do it. Confession is good for the soul. On to the last seven days.

DD and I didn’t visit on Sunday. We’d talked on Thanksgiving and, unless something earthshaking might happen, there wouldn’t be a lot more to say other than, “How are you?” “How is merm?” “How is Pixel?” When I was a very young girl, I had an admirer who would write the occasional letter. It was all snail mail in those days. No email, no texting. Every missive started out the same way. “How are you? Fine I hope. How’s your mother? Fine I hope. How’s your sister? Fine I hope.” He was a nice young man and is still a friend in spite of our advanced years. I can take credit for introducing him to the girl who later became his wife and the mother of his children.

My sister emailed me Monday after reading my Saturday night blog post about being tone deaf. She said, “I don’t know whether it’s just preventive or helpful after the fact, but Dr. Oz recommends 300 mg./day of magnesium for hearing loss.” I did some Googling and found that the daily value (RDA) is 400 mg. Amazon is just as far away as my fingertips so I searched and found this. When I received confirmation that my order had shipped, the delivery date was the next day.

For a couple of days, I’d tried to get in touch with my neighbor/cousin. She finally answered her phone and I was able to tell her not to bring me a lamp. I’d started to take the bulb out of mine and it decided to work!

Tuesday, the magnesium came but it was in the afternoon so I didn’t take any.

It was also the day my modem came. Here’s the route it took.


Wednesday, I had studied and had my quiet time when my Internet went down. It was dead as a doornail. I went to the bathroom and looked out the window (the telephone box thingy is visible from there) but I didn’t see anything. Unplugging and plugging the modem didn’t help. I heard something and went back to look out the window. The technician was doing something with some complicated equipment. Pulling on some grubbies, I went out to see what was going on.

We exchanged pleasantries and, still unable to believe my good fortune, I asked, “Do you think I’ll be able to get U-verse?” He told me that was what he was planning to find out. I said that everything in the box should be okay since it had been replaced after the tornadoes came through. That’s when I found out WHY the upgrade was possible.

Following the devastation of the twisters, the innards of the box wasn’t the only thing that had to be replaced. Miles of lines had been downed. Now we have the newest and best. Whatever it is that has to be reasonably close to provide broadband used to be twice as far away as it is now.

Testing the line, he said, “You are getting 21mbps on this line! You could have U-verse TV if they offered it out here.” But I don’t need TV. I can watch anything I want to on my computer. Roku? No. If I want to watch something on my TV, I can hook an HDMI cable to it and stream from my computer. Hmmmmm. He was getting some ideas from little old moi. He told me he can’t get anything other than DSL at his house and he’d been thinking about getting rid of his TV service. He mentioned VoIP. That’s when I said I have a MagicJack plus I use my cell phone with my wireless and GrooVeIP. He was impressed that I buy a mere $10 worth of minutes a year and I don’t use all of them. The last time I refilled it, I had almost that many rollover minutes.

I asked him if I’d need to wait until after 8 p.m. to hook up the modem. (That’s what the letter said.) No, I could take care of that as soon as he called the results in to the office. Oh, wow! That was great!!

It was pretty cold out there so I came inside. As soon as he left, I started getting things ready. The process went fairly smoothly thanks to the LONG cable merm had sent me once upon a time. It wasn’t long at all until I had it up and running. I tested the speed on Speakeasy and it’s come in as fast as 5.69mbps. Now, that’s not as fast as some people get but for someone who started out with a 1200 baud modem these many years ago, it’s definitely decent. There was one time when it went down briefly but it wasn’t for long. Other than that, I surely can’t complain. I had to call DS1 just to see if I could. That was just about my only accomplishment on Wednesday. I had a new toy. But then…

My neighbor/cousin was outside when I was disposing of my compost so I went over to say hi. She gave me the unsettling news that the woman who had shown up at my door previously (you can read about it here) was back. She’d gone to their place and asked for “the older man” who drove a red pickup truck. She sent one of the men out to talk to her but he didn’t know her. She went across the street and started trying to break into a car. That’s when someone called the police. Taking off running, she was at the end of the road when she was picked up. I was advised to keep my doors locked. Maybe she had forgotten where I live. I could only hope.

Thursday, Twinkle’s new cat box came. Now, I’ve never been as pleased with cat litter as I am Feline Fresh. To me, it’s the answer to every cat owner’s prayer for litter that doesn’t get tracked all through the house and stinks to high heaven after a day or two. For a wonder, Walmart carries it at a very reasonable price. I’m so paranoid about their stocking practices, I bought three bags even though Twink hasn’t gone through the first one yet. The box I got for her is a two-parter. The top box sifts and the bottom box catches the sawdust. The only scent that’s noticeable is pine. She does knock a few pellets out onto the floor but they are easily retrieved and put back where they belong. I can’t say I’m in love but it’s close.

I’d planned to go pick up said Twinkle’s canned cat food but I put it off until yesterday. How things do work out!

When I got out of bed and came into the living room, there was a beep. It was persistent and aggravating. I checked both the smoke alarms and they were in good order. I’d go from room to room but the sound seemed to move with me. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out where it was coming from. I must’ve spent a good hour hunting before I found the carbon monoxide detector I’d bought to test the car. It had fallen on the floor and something else was on top of it. I changed the batteries and put it on the mantle where it’s being quiet.

My devotions and OJ out of the way, I got ready for the next course when there was a knock on the door and then the doorbell rang. The UPS man does that but I wasn’t expecting a package. Due to the detector hunt, I was still in my robe. I opened the door and, wearing a big smile and smoking a cigarette, the Woman said, “Hello again!” Oh, woe. Surely not. But yes, it was. She was back and she had found me.

She asked to use the phone but I told her I couldn’t let her do that. She wanted me to call Bill and gave me the number. Would I tell him to come pick her up? Okay. I shut the door and got the phone. Bill answered and said he couldn’t help her. He was in Chattanooga. That’s when I called 911. Again. When the dispatcher answered and I’d given my information, I gave him the name and said she was at my house. He asked me to check and see if she was still on the deck. I looked out and yes, she was. By that time, she was sitting in one of the chairs. I hoped she wasn’t taking up residence. He said for me to call again if she left.

It was getting on up toward late morning and I still hadn’t eaten my breakfast. Looking out one more time, I could see she had left. I called 911 again and let the dispatcher know. He said officers were on their way and they would stop by the house.

I choked down my food and threw on some clothes. I hadn’t had a shower. I ran a comb through my hair and tried to look halfway presentable.

The officers showed up as promised. They couldn’t find the Woman. She had either caught a ride with someone or was hiding somewhere. Later on in the afternoon, I went over to talk to my n/c. She said the officers had searched the woods behind both our houses. The neighbor across the street said she was sitting on his back porch when he got up.

There are some things I’d rather not know. I’d thought her ex-boyfriend lived somewhere away from here but he’s probably about a quarter mile down the road and around the corner. He’s put her out repeatedly but she keeps coming back. I told the officers I feel sorry for her. One of them shook his head and said, “Don’t.” I know Jesus died for her but, unless she truly wants to change, she will stay the same.

My trip to town started much later than I’d planned. It was almost sundown when I finished unloading.

Last night, I was in bed well before 9. In one of my dreams I was so sleepy I couldn’t open my eyes.

My sister emailed tonight that she was surprised to see her church was already decorated for Christmas. So is mine but not as lavishly as hers is. I took a couple of pictures with my phone and I still don’t do too well with it. Here they are, though. Maybe I’ll take a camera with me next week. The lady is the one who does the arrangements.



After church (which was a rousingly good message by my cousin-in-law), I helped my friend with her netbook. I’d downloaded e-Sword onto a flash drive and installed it for her. I was asked to stay for lunch but all I wanted to do was come home.

I’ve been taking the magnesium for just four days now but I do believe it’s helping. The piano and organ sounded perfectly in tune and music isn’t painful to listen to. I’d like to say I could hear every word today, too, but that isn’t true. There has been an improvement and for that I’m thankful. The downside is that I can’t blame my mistakes on being tone deaf.

Genese and I were getting close to finishing another game so I decided I’d try my hand at crafting a board. Getting into the Christmas spirit, here’s what I did:

Wordscraper board

And here is where we are on it currently. I think I’m gonna win.

Current Moves

Twinkle is stalking another mouse. She’s caught it several times but it’s taken refuge under the couch. I feel sorry for the little thing but not sorry enough to discourage The Hunter. Like The Woman, The Mouse keeps coming back.

10 Responses to My Week: Life in the Fast Lane

  1. Genese December 1, 2012 at 11:57 pm #

    I was curious so I checked with Speedway.
    Your Speed Result:
    Download Speed: 4802 kbps (600.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 4853 kbps (606.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    How does that compare?

    The Christmas tree is nice, very creative. You had the right rack to begin with hence your enormous score. I have a tree waiting in the wings. I am playing my tree creation with 2 other players right now and one is slaughtering me.

    • Tommie December 2, 2012 at 8:20 am #

      There are a little over a thousand kilobytes in a megabyte (KB/MB). I’ll let you figure it up and let me know. I tried to find Speedway but couldn’t. Could you give me the link? If I could test on the same site as you, I’d know more.

      I hadn’t noticed until after I did that screenshot that you had made a comment. 😀 I also had the most high score squares at my disposal.

  2. Mary Jane December 2, 2012 at 11:41 am #

    My,you’ve had an eventful week or so! Hope The Woman will give up on you.

    Will keep you posted on the progress of the arrival of my first great-grandchild! Should be within the next few hours.

    • Tommie December 2, 2012 at 11:47 am #

      I hope so, too. And please do let me know! Your other granddaughter posted on Facebook that it’s baby time!

  3. Lila December 3, 2012 at 3:29 pm #

    All your computer jargon is Greek to me, but I’m glad it worked out for you! I’ll just keep plugging along.

    • Tommie December 3, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

      What it boils down to is I get TV, Internet AND phone on my own terms and for only $24.95 a month. I’m a happy camper.

  4. Genese December 3, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

    I mis-typed. it was speedtest ( I tested from McMinnville TN but Rossville GA is likely closer to Big Brother Erlanger. There wasn’t much difference in speeds among the 3 different testing sites that I tried. I can’t imagine how Big Brother manages the Fair Access Policy restrictions or how much they pay for over usage.

    • Tommie December 3, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

      It chose Highlands, NC, for me. I didn’t see any option to change servers. I got 5.7 down and I don’t remember the upload speed. Not important. It’s much faster than what I had before.

      I’m sure their access is unlimited since it is at all the sites.

  5. Therese September 5, 2014 at 8:49 am #

    I always spent my half an hour to read this blog’s content every day along with a mug of coffee.

Leave a Reply to Tommie Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.