Back in September of this year when I went to visit my kinfolk, I left two quarts of water kefir in the fridge so I’d have some to come home to. I’d talked to DD and she’d said she was reviving her grains so I’d have a supply of water kefir while I was there. Pleased I wouldn’t have to suffer withdrawal from my daily dose, I trusted she was getting the job done.
When she showed me the containers, the liquid inside was almost clear. I couldn’t see any activity though she assured me it was working. I waited another few hours and tasted. It was extremely sweet which told me there was no fermentation at all.
I decided to try my hand at making a batch. With distractions galore, I forgot about it and it went too long. If I’d taken more than that test sip, I would have been stinkin’ drunk. Straining the grains out, I poured the contents down the drain. I’d not try again. I’d wait until I got home and make it right.
More than three weeks since I’d made my last successful batch, I started a batch. In a day’s time, whitish tannish mold began growing on top of the liquid. That had never happened to me before. I strained the liquid off and rinsed the grains thoroughly then started another batch. Thirty-six hours later when I would have normally had kefir ready to be strained and raisins added, nothing had happened. I tasted. Sickeningly sweet.
I’ve been surfing the web trying to find out what’s going on with my grains. One site says it could be mineral overdose. Another said the grains need to rest. Yet another said to make a batch with regular granulated sugar—the kind that’s filtered through charred beef bones—but I haven’t gotten up the nerve to try it.
In the meantime, I have been forcefully weaned off water kefir. It hasn’t been easy but I’m still alive. I just hope my kefir grains are, too.