My Week: My First Anniversary

Sunday was a milestone. One year to the day before, I turned in my notice. It was a little disheartening at the time that almost everyone seemed happy about it. I felt like they were happy to get rid of me but maybe I was selling them short. I hadn’t kept it a secret I wanted to retire so maybe they were happy for me. I’d like to think so. At any rate, I’m gone and I haven’t been back.

I was wondering what I could do to celebrate. After all, there are two anniversaries in September—my notice anniversary and my actual last day at work. Decisions, decisions. Here’s the big announcement! I’m taking a break from weekly updates and will be working (there’s that “W” word) on some projects I’ve had on the back burner for a long time. They will be blog posts but not this kind that chronicles my day to day life.

Now that THAT’S out of the way, I’ll get on to other things.

DD and I had our visit on Sunday. It rained a lot of this week. Some days I fed the sugar babies and some days other people did. I’ve cleaned house until I’m about blue in the face. Best of all, Twinkle is doing much better.

My housecleaning involves getting rid of Stuff, too. I’ve had DD’s boom box ever since she went to college in California ‘way back in ’97. No CD player. Just a tape deck. Not even dual. I emailed her and asked if I could get rid of it. I was pretty sure she would say okay but I didn’t want to haul it off without asking her. She said she didn’t need it so it wound up at Goodwill along with a lot of other Stuff. Unfortunately, I spotted a striking outfit and brought it home. There was a second trip but that time I just dropped the Stuff off at the desk and fled.

After one rain shower, I went out to see if my kale had ever made an appearance (it hasn’t) and found that something had lost its lunch in the box where the seeds were placed many weeks ago. Not a pretty sight. I got it out with a stick but I want lots of purifying sun on that spot before I plant anything else there.

Yesterday, my cousin came over and fixed the screen in my bathroom window so it won’t fall out. I won’t have to be concerned about Twinkle sitting on the sill any more.

I was so tired I thought I would just come home after church today but then I decided I could make some simple things that wouldn’t take a lot of preparation or much in the way of finishing up once I got to the dinner. Church ran over quite a bit because of all the tributes in the honor of grandparents (I didn’t participate because my maternal grandmother was the only one living when I was born and she died when I was 13 months old). When I finally got back to the Fellowship Hall to get my things taken care of, I found the salsa had been nuked in the microwave (it was supposed to be served at room temperature) and the chips I’d brought a bowl for were on the table. I got everything back and fixed it the way it was supposed to be except I didn’t have a blast chiller for the salsa. People liked it, anyway.

Lunch over, it was time to visit Genese. Another of the ladies from church went with me. We had a nice time and Genese was the recipient of some of the salsa, chips and a half dozen Brussels sprouts I’d managed to save for her.

My throat is getting scratchy. I hope it’s something that will clear up with a good night’s sleep. Wish me luck!

14 Responses to My Week: My First Anniversary

1. Lila September 8, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

I’d like a description of that outfit. Bet you’ll find it’s just what you need more than once. Hope your throat problem is gone by morning.

• Tommie September 8, 2012 at 9:55 pm #

It’s a black crinkly material skirt, ankle length (I wore it today), a red sweater with black beading around the neck and sleeves and an itchy black sweater/wrap. The sweater has a ruffled collar plus a ruffle around the waist or a little below.

2. Joanie Crosby September 9, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

Yeah, I found the bowl I had provided for our green bean casserole occupied by someone’s brussel sprouts!! (I know you weren’t responsible), the casserole cooked on the stove instead of in the oven, and the scalloped potatoes barely edible (I think salt had been added as they aren’t usually too salty). Alissa went over to see to things, but they were already “done”…… Oh well! 🙂

• Tommie September 9, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

I know the one doing the preparations meant well but next time, I’ll have to hide things. I wanted to fix the sprouts myself because I’d never tried those before and I’d have liked to have had the experience. I had them in a tote in the freezer and, for all anyone knew, I might have intended them for something else. Seems there are a lot of assumptions going on. One Sabbath, I had to get my dish back three times before I could finish it. I finally said I’d smack the next person who touched it. 😛

3. Mary Jane September 9, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

Glad you found a new outfit! Wish I could!!

• Tommie September 9, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

You could if you did what I did and didn’t try it on.

4. Joanie Crosby September 9, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

That’s not the first time that has happened regarding the bowl I provided, have wondered if I need to put a sign on it! And yes, I know they meant well so not upset at them, makes things pretty interesting at times tho….. 🙂

• Tommie September 9, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

Next time, I think I’ll bring a cooler big enough for my stuff and leave it in the car. I’m usually the last one out of the church so it makes it hard to really get anything together.

5. Carol September 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

Hi Tommie! I hope you will absolutely LOVE being retired! I know I do. After 25 yrs. as a public educator, I had to get out while still alive! Ha. Ha. I really do have times when I miss it but there are so many other fun things to do and I don’t have the energy for 40 hours +++++ work week anymore. Love your website and your before and after pictures were honestly the most marvelous transformation I’ve seen in anyone! You look so different and so much younger now! It’s such an inspiration to me as I am 66 yrs young and really want to do this raw diet so much. I have tried everything else and nothing has worked for me. I’m having a tough time getting started as my Mother (90 yrs young) has not been well and I’m going to spend some time with her but when I return home, I am going to try to go 100% raw (I’m now only about 50%). Have a blessed September because you are really a blessing to others! Carol

• Tommie September 25, 2012 at 6:01 pm #

Thank you for your comments, Carol. I wish I could have stayed with 100% raw but it wasn’t to be. Just make sure you get everything you need–especially D and B-12. I believe I could have stayed raw if I hadn’t had the problems with what my naturopath diagnosed as chronic carbon monoxide poisoning.

Being with your mother right now is more important than getting started on raw. Take good care of her–and you.

6. Lila September 16, 2012 at 8:54 am #

How about a picture of you in the outfit? You always seem to have a flair when it comes to dressing.

• Tommie September 25, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

Too much going on right now but we’ll see when things settle down.

7. Lila September 22, 2012 at 9:45 pm #

I’m missing your posts. I’ll be glad when you are back at it, but I’m sure it’s worth the wait.

• Tommie September 25, 2012 at 5:55 pm #