My Week: Miracles Still Happen

I had quite a week. Compared to Genese’s, it pales in comparison but it was still busy busy. Before I get to Genese’s awe inspiring story (a true one), I’ll give a rundown of the past seven days.

Sunday, DD and I visited. It was also the day I was to be part of a group going to a Mexican restaurant that was a contributor to God in Shoes. As for the meal, I’ll just caution anyone who is vegetarian/vegan not to choose a “vegetarian” option off the menu that also comes in a meat option. ‘Nuff said.

My gas tank was getting close to empty and I was tired of getting mediocre mileage and less power with the ethanol blend that’s ubiquitous these days. I’d found a web site that lists stations that offer real gasoline and my car is running much better. It costs a little more but it’s worth it.

A stop at Walmart and one at BiLo and I headed home—for a little while. Week of Prayer started Sunday night and ran Monday night, Thursday night, Friday night and the church service this morning. Tuesday night, there was nothing planned (whew!) and Wednesday night was regular prayer meeting.

After church today, there was a fellowship meal. One of my friends wanted me to help her get on Facebook on her phone but it’s an older one and we finally had to give up. That made me later than I’d planned to go see Genese.

When I got settled into the chair in her room, she had the aforementioned story to tell me. I asked if I could add her to the church group I’ve set up on Facebook and she said, “Sure!” Then I asked her to put her story on there. Okay. THEN I asked if I could include it in this post, copied and pasted and in her own words. That would be fine, too, so here goes.

I am praising God for saving my daughter Kaitlyn’s eyesight yesterday after a bottle of nail polish crashed to the floor and shattered in her face. She said the specialist they called into Chattanooga’s Erlanger ER told her that as soon as he got the call about her that he dropped to his knees and prayed that he would not have to tell this 23 year old young mother that she would never see her child again. Thank God for a praying Doctor! We need more doctors who depend on the power of prayer.

When she called me at 12:30 am; she had just gotten home after the ordeal. I had no idea what had happened to her; she didn’t want anyone to call and upset me. She told me that after irrigating her eyes in the Bledsoe ER for 2 hours an ambulance was called to take her to Chattanooga. On top of the mountain between Dunlap and Chattanooga, her blood pressure began to drop dangerously low. The paramedic turned on the lights and siren at that point and ‘flew’ to Erlanger. She said that was about 5:00-5:30pm. The ER staff worked to stabilize her and then the specialist cleaned all the polish and glass from her eyes. Her blood pressure rose to dangerously high levels due to the pain and trauma. She was kept in the ER until it was stable enough to release her around midnight Chattanooga time.

As I said I had no idea this was happening but during our dinner time around 5:00pm, I got an uneasy feeling. I can’t explain it. I just felt like something was wrong. I began praying and asking God to take care of whatever it was. Now I know that this was the same time her blood pressure was dropping so low. God truly works in mysterious ways!

Kaitlyn came by the nursing home today just so she could “see” me. After a long hug, I inspected her eyes. She looks like she has a case of pink eye in the right one. Her sight is blurry from the damage to the outer membrane. There was no damage to the sight mechanism of the eye. Hallelujah! The membrane should heal in a couple of weeks the doctor says. Thank God!

Kaitlyn was painting her 3 year old daughter’s toenails when the accident happened. The baby was splattered with polish but wasn’t hurt at all. I thank God for protecting this little one too.

Isn’t that incredible? And that’s why I say miracles still happen.

While I was visiting one of my favorite former hospital people came in to say hello. She’d already left the hospital to go work at the nursing home before I retired so I didn’t see her as often as before. It was nice to say hello and get a hug.

It was sprinkling when I left the nursing home and I did hope it was raining at home. It was but not a whole lot. It would be so nice if it would rain the right amount and not either too much or too little. I do live on Planet Earth, though, and nothing is perfect in this world.

6 Responses to My Week: Miracles Still Happen

  1. Lila August 4, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

    Who’d have guessed there would be that much danger in a bottle of nail polish! So glad for the good outcome.

    • Tommie August 4, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

      Kaitlyn told Genese it sounded like a gunshot when it broke.

  2. Mary Jane August 5, 2012 at 7:38 am #

    Thank Genese for sharing that wonderful miracle with us!

    • Tommie August 5, 2012 at 7:43 am #

      I will! She’ll probably be by to read the post and she’ll see the comments then, too.

  3. Carol August 14, 2012 at 1:29 am #

    Tommie, You are right! There is great power in intercessory prayer! I love your website because you are a raw food Christian. I am new to all this and I found so many of the other websites to be a little strange, almost as if eating raw was the be all, end all. I worship the Creator, not the creation and I like to keep my priorities straight. I am finding this lifestyle to be a lot of fun, easy to do, and it gives me so much energy and makes me feel so good! I believe that God led me to this as I had been having some health problems as a result of poor diet. I have already lost about 6 pounds and haven’t been on this very long. Thanks for all your wisdom and encouragement to us all!

  4. Tommie August 14, 2012 at 7:25 am #

    Thanks for YOUR encouragement, Carol!

    If you read many of my posts, you will discover that, while I am still vegan, I am no longer 100% raw. I still eat a good percentage of raw but not exclusively. I did make it for almost five years. You can read about that here. The fava beans were the “gateway drug” and cooked crept in a bit at a time. People have told me I don’t have to reveal that but I don’t want to be deceitful. Since this is a “raw food” blog, it’s important to me to be truthful.

    BTW, my friend in the nursing home has full use of only her right hand. It takes a great deal of effort for her to type anything so that’s amazing in itself.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.