My Week: Winning!!

And, no. I’m not patterning myself after Charlie Sheen. Perish the thought. I, along with one other person, really won the weight loss challenge!

Here’s what I saw at the end of the challenge:


The challenge had started on January 4 on DietBet. On January 5, I got sick and for several days, I didn’t have an appetite. My stomach wasn’t upset. I just didn’t want to eat.

My exercise suffered, too. There was a solid week that I didn’t even put on my pedometer. That is highly unusual. It’s one of the first things I attach to my clothes in the morning.

Gradually, I got back into exercising and was doing well up until Tuesday of this week. That’s when my foot started hurting. Or maybe it was my hip. It went from one to the other and my sister suggested it might be sciatica. But it wasn’t. That runs up the back of a person’s leg and this was at the side. The pain was so bad I stopped at 2k of my afternoon stint and unearthed an elastic bandage, wrapped my foot, and finished my walking.

Trying to think what might have caused the problem, I went over everything I’ve been doing that’s different. I finally came up with—I’ve been working on my notebook computer on my lap. That wouldn’t be such a big deal, but it’s on a cooling platform on top of the cozy. Hmmmmmmmm. I mentioned that on Facebook and one of my friends who is a nurse figures that was probably the problem.

Well, I had to do something about this so I clicked through on Amazon and found just what I needed. The Table-Mate II. These days, I have to think long and hard before I plunk down money but this looked like something that would definitely solve my problem. I ordered it on Tuesday night and it was here Thursday afternoon. I expected something not nearly as sturdy as it is. It went together without a hitch using no tools and it’s perfect for my computer. Add that to the fact that my neighbor got my lamp cleaned up and I’m in business for sure, for sure.

After my neighbor brought the lamp over, I’d posted another project the next day on her web site. I don’t know if she’s noticed it yet. She isn’t much of a computer person. There’s one project that’s going to take days to do. It’s a whole house makeover and I need to get started on it tomorrow.

Yesterday, I walked around the edges of my little postage stamp of property and took a couple of pictures. The first one is the daffodil that I’d featured last week. The next is a veritable flock of them. I’d thought about waiting until today but it’s a good thing I didn’t—our days and days of sunshine (and basking) were over. It has rained. And rained. And rained.

Daffodil Revisited

A Flock of Flowers

I’d made a Super Duper Gut Bomb casserole yesterday. Making patties is so time-consuming, I decided I’d just chuck the mixture into a pan and bake it that way. Then, last night, one of my Facebook friends who was supposed to help with the guest meal today said she wouldn’t be able to. I thought, well, why not pitch in? I made a couple of phone calls and talked to the other family involved and obligated myself to be the Other Family. The general Fellowship Meal takes place twice a month—on the second and fourth Sabbaths. Other Sabbaths, food is provided for guests.

Last night, I set the alarm. This morning, I woke ‘way before time for it to go off. The opening song was one I’d never played that I can remember. I know, once, I was working my way through the hymnal and I may have played it then but that was more than 25 years ago. I wanted to get to the church early to practice.

The pianist and I went over the song several times until we figured we could cripple through it. Between Sabbath School and class time, I flagged the elder down who had picked the songs. He was shocked at what was in the bulletin. He had picked a different song! He incriminated himself, though. He’d written down the wrong number. We got that straightened out and we were all relieved.

And, speaking of being relieved, I was glad to see the signal light was back! I wouldn’t have to watch the door out of the corner of my eye. HA! After I’d played for what seemed like forever, the elder opened the door and, in a stage whisper, announced the light wasn’t working! So much for that!

My playing went downhill from there. I was so rattled…

I lived and did well. The lunch was pleasant with just one table full of sociable people. It was the one family and me providing the food and two other people stayed to share in it with us.

Coming home, I drove through pea-soup fog and had a quiet rest of the afternoon. And I just discovered that, some way, part of my blog post disappeared. I’ll attempt to reconstruct but you may be lucky and not have to wade through so much.

2 Responses to My Week: Winning!!

  1. Lila February 4, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

    I’m curious to know which hymn you and the pianist were so concerned about. It surprises me that any of them would have you stymied.

    • Tommie February 4, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

      #4, Praise, My Soul, the King of Heaven. The midi file is here. It isn’t easy to play a totally unfamiliar hymn practically on the spur of the moment. I don’t like practicing on the congregation.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.