This was supposed to be a raw vegan recipe for fudge but it should be titled, “If all else fails, follow the instructions”. Someday, when I get more really raw cashews, I’ll try it again. Until then, I think we can learn as much, if not more, from our failures as we can our successes. Let’s back up a bit. This hasn’t been a complete failure. The end product is tasty and vegan, even if it turned out not to be raw.
I must give credit to my nursing home friend who sent me the link for the recipe and the site where it lives.
First of all, I did my mise en place (pronounced MEEZ ahn plahs). Now, that’s just a fancy term for “everything in its place”. It makes it easier to make a mess later. You can tell I watch too many cooking shows.
Here are my first four ingredients:
The coconut oil is closest to the camera with the agave nectar next and the cacao powder in the back. Cashews are easy to identify.
Okay. The instructions with the recipe say to use a food processor to make the cashews into butter, then to combine the rest of the ingredients by hand. HA! I thought. I have a handy dandy VitaMix. Just throw everything into that baby and it will make quick work of it and I’ll be on to the next step that will make the recipe truly mine. The three other ingredients that I was adding after the blending was finished were:
A dash of pink Himalayan sea salt
A capful of vanilla DD made me for Mother’s Day
1/2 cup (more or less) black walnuts
It all started out quite promising:
But, when the mixture began to look like it was fudge, the VitaMix quit. It has a safety feature that shuts it off so it doesn’t burn the motor up.
I’d stopped and scraped the sides and was prepared to pour the mixture into a bowl so I could blend in the rest of the ingredients I’ve already pictured above. It was not to be.
I believe, in chef-y terms, it would be said that the mixture had split and seized. Or it had seized and split. And it was like Humpty Dumpty. I couldn’t put it together again. I even got out the Ninja and all it did was make the ball of goo dance around. And it was HOT. Not raw any more.
Maybe if I cooled it I could incorporate the oil into the rest.
The oil had somewhat solidified but the rest had, too. I could hardly get a spoon into it.
I took it out of the bowl sans oil and put it into a gallon ZipLoc bag and began to press it out into a “pancake”.
Taking it out, I put it on several thicknesses of paper towels to sop up the oil.
For the next step, I used my nylon cutting board because I didn’t want to mess up my good bamboo one.
I evened it up and cut approximately 1″ pieces. They remind me of Tootsie Rolls but they aren’t as chewy.
A heavy quart size freezer bag held all of the “rolls” but they started sticking together. That is, I found out they were when I reached in for another and another. I think I ate too many. Since I planned to take some to my friend who turned me onto the recipe, I got the bright idea of wrapping them in waxed paper.
Even though the recipe didn’t turn out like it was supposed to, I managed to salvage all but the coconut oil. I figured that was about a $1 loss. The walnuts went back into the bag.
For someone who eschews (there’s another fancy word) chocolate, this could be made with carob. If anyone tries this recipe and is successful, please let me know. Another day and another time, I may hunt up the “S” blade for my Cuisinart and try it again.