My Week: Wallowing in Strawberries

I was feeling rather envious when my sister emailed about buying a gallon of strawberries. DH used to say I loved strawberries more than I loved him. Now, that wasn’t entirely true but almost. At present, DH isn’t around any more but strawberries are.

I didn’t go to town on Sunday because I’d been the Wednesday before and got what I needed so I didn’t need to make another trip. I made use of the time and did things that needed to be done around here. Not everything, mind you, but a lot. DD called to wish me a happy Mother’s Day.

Monday morning, I spied The Strawberry Truck on the bypass when I was steaming by to go to work. When I got to the hospital, I alerted my office-mate and she figured (as I did) that I should go back and get some. I got a second from another staff member and it was duly voted that I should be on my way before the truck left.

Getting there, it turned out the seller was my almost neighbor who used to fix my mother-in-law’s hair. We visited and caught up on the tornado happenings at her place. Now, does everyone in the known world but me watch American Idol? Almost every account that I’ve heard or read in this part of Tennessee starts out, “We were watching American Idol…” Well, she said, “We were watching American Idol when the power went off so we went to bed.” Except for the American Idol part, that’s pretty much what happened at my house, too. Anyway, the upshot was, the tornado missed her by a mile (a country mile?) and she didn’t know what had taken place until the next morning.

I bought a flat of strawberries (TWO gallons) and went back to work. It didn’t take long until I’d shared some with my nursing home friend and sold all (at the price I’d paid for them) but one cup and part of another. I came home and made the cups even and took one to my neighbor. Cutting up some along with some mango, I feasted.

Strawberries and Mango

That night, DS1 called to wish me a happy Mother’s Day and wanted to know if he were #3. No, he was the second one.

Tuesday, I got another flat of berries and repeated selling/bringing them home. Also, one of the girls had taken the rest of my marigolds and brought me hosta in exchange.


I still haven’t planted them yet. Maybe tomorrow?

During all this activity, Twinkle couldn’t be bothered. She looked mildly interested when I snapped her picture.


Wednesday night, DS2 called to wish me a happy Mother’s Day. He said things had been crazy around there and I’m sure that’s true. We talked about how fortunate we’d all been to escape the tornado damage when they’d come so close.

A couple of days, I bought two flats of berries but was just rescued from being stuck with more than I cared to have at once. On Friday, I was back to one and sold all I wanted to within a few minutes of getting to the hospital.

Friday afternoon, I decided to “go pokin'”. I had spied where poke had come back up where I’d cut it before. It had rained but slacked off so I went out wading in the weeds and got a goodly supply of the free greens. When I got back in the house, my pants were wet almost to the knees. I’d bought a large sweet potato—or maybe it was a yam—at the grocery store so I pulled it out and added it to my possibilities for supper. I turned in to COOK. Those fava beans have led me down the garden path. The potato was peeled, cubed, and cooked in a small amount of water until tender then mashed. I added a pinch of salt, some palm sugar and a dash of vanilla DD had made and sent me for Mother’s Day. The potato, poke and stewed onions made my meal.

Blue Plate Special

I was a little nervous about how it would “set” with me since it was the first time in almost six years I’d sat down to a full meal of cooked food. I’m used to sequential eating and haven’t combined that many different components at once. There were no ill effects, though. I guess I can no longer regard myself as a 100% raw vegan. I have been corrupted. Before, I could rationalize that the fava beans didn’t count because they were medicinal but no more. Poke, sweet potatoes and stewed onions aren’t medicinal.

Today was church and there was a good service. One of my favorite people led out and the only thing that would have made it better would have been some of his original music. He’s a prolific composer. If I had the money, I’d invest in him but I don’t so I won’t. In the meantime, until he gets famous, there are just a lucky few of us who benefit from his talent.

It rained off and on today. It hasn’t been the terrific downpours we’ve had and I’m thankful for that. Tomorrow, I’ll put off going to town. DS1’s daughter (my granddaughter—DUH!) is graduating from the 8th grade on Wednesday and I’ll be sallying forth for the resulting celebration. I’ll do my shopping in connection with that so, tomorrow, I’ll have yet another Sunday at home!

2 Responses to My Week: Wallowing in Strawberries

  1. Mary Jane May 16, 2011 at 12:46 pm #

    No, you are not the only one who doesn’t watch American Idol! Never have, never expect to.

    • Tommie May 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm #

      I watched once for a few minutes and decided I had better ways to spend my time. Glad you are of the same opinion.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.