Another Week on the Protocol

Sounds kind of like it should be a river or something, doesn’t it? The combination of what I’m doing sees me getting better and better with each passing day. I have all but given up on the glutathione. My doctor asked me last week when I was going to get him some info about it and I told him I’d sent him a link via email. He said he’d check it out but that’s the last I’ve heard. His nurse gave me my B-12 shot Friday.

As for email, I got one from a rep for a company that sells a product that’s said to be a glutathione accelerator. I’ve looked the product up online and it’s very expensive if it’s what he’s talking about. I don’t know how safe it is, either. If it contains N-acetylcysteine, I’ve read that it can be risky. That plus the expense makes me leery of taking it. I’ll have to look into it more before I decide. In the meantime, I’m taking the other supplements and walking.

Which brings me to an exchange I recently had with a couple of the walkers. They were the two men who were out there my first day. As I went by, I commented that I was glad to see the one who doesn’t walk much back. He mumbled something about not being too happy about being there. The other one grinned and said he, himself, is addicted. I had to admit that I am, too.

On the weekend when I don’t walk, I BodyFlex and rebound. It feels so good to get back into rebounding. When I quit, it was because my head felt too heavy for my neck. There are times my head starts hurting again and I realize my shoulders are tensing up. I consciously relax and it goes away. I’m sure I was tied up in knots because I was weak and was trying to compensate. When one part of the body fails, another takes over but it isn’t always pleasant.

I’ve been faithfully eating my fava beans. My neighbor had told me before about what his grandmother would do with the fresh ones when he was growing up. She would marinate the raw shelled unpeeled ones in vinegar and EVOO along with seasonings and let them sit in the fridge for several days. He said I could use lemon juice and it would do the same thing. When they were ready, he could sit down and eat a whole bowl of them by himself. From what he said, it was a big bowl, too. If I ever get some fresh ones again, I’m willing to try it. I’m considering planting a cover crop of favas in the fall. He asked me if I knew what they are called besides fava beans and I said yes. They are aka horse beans or broad beans. I told him I’m getting to be a fava bean expert. I did a search and came up with these names, too: field bean, bell bean or tic bean.

This evening, I put most of a red jalapeño in the favas but it mostly tasted like a bell pepper. Not much heat at all. I had kelp noodles mixed in, too. I’ve given samples of the beans to my nursing home friend and my neighbor. Even though he grew up with the fresh ones, he’d never tried the dried.

My Seattle doctor’s wife told me to send her an email if I had any more questions. I did that more than a week ago but haven’t heard back. I guess I’m on my own, at least for a while. I’m not out of the woods yet but I’m back to 80% minimum. Now it’s to bed so I can get up and do my 2.5 miles in the morning.

4 Responses to Another Week on the Protocol

  1. Olivia August 8, 2010 at 10:26 pm #

    Get better soon, greeting from Denmark!

  2. Tommie August 9, 2010 at 5:55 am #

    Thanks, Olivia! I’m getting there!

  3. Raw on the River August 10, 2010 at 9:45 pm #

    Just to clarify, I am not a rep. I make no money off glutathione. I tested my intracellular micronutrient levels and decided to try the max brand.

    • Tommie August 11, 2010 at 6:01 am #

      I was contacted via email by the husband of one of my readers. Sorry I didn’t make that clear. From what I have been able to find, the expense on top of what I’ve already incurred is too much.

Leave a Reply to Olivia Click here to cancel reply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.